Best way to try Win 10 on Surface Pro 3

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm ready to try Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 that I use as my main home computer. I've been using all of the builds of Windows 10 Technical Preview from the very first one on a Dell Desktop and it now seems ready enough to go with. I've also used Windows 10 Mobile on several Lumia phones and don't yet think it's at the same point (I've left it on my 635 but removed it from my daily driver 930).

I know that different methods work better for installing each. On my Dell desktop I started from a totally clean machine. But can I just download and install the latest Technical Preview on to my Surface, or should I boot from a USB iso? Would you create a separate partition? (I know that is the safest way, but I Win 10 seems stable enough on my Dell to risk using on the Surface).

andreqms

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm using it on my Surface since 10162. You will have to deal with minor bugs as some apps may not respond well and the start screen is not bug-free right now (tablet mode in general). I think it is usable and if you want you should install it.

Just upgrade from your Windows 8.1 if you do not have many files on it right now. I will do a refresh as soon as Windows 10 is released and installed on mine.

Hope it helps.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am tempted to update my sp3 as well, but I think I might as well wait till the office final win10 release is out. I mean, its only roughly 3 weeks away!

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Why not just wait a few weeks and get the RTM upgrade from 8.1?

I'm very similar to you in that I've tried it in an old PC and would put it on my SP3, but I'm going to wait for (hopefully) the 29th. You can always try it using Hyper-V which works ok.

I'd try it on my 930 apart from the store is very buggy on my 630 so going to leave it for a few more releases yet.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and took the plunge last night. Just downloaded the build and installed over 8.1Actually installed faster on my Surface than my Dell Desktop. Yet there are differences. I seem to have different versions of mail on each although both say they are up to date. The desktop is more responsive and has less problems than the Surface version. I can't get my office e-mail and keep getting messages that I need to make my pc more secure, but I don't get that message in the Desktop and do get my mail.

In tablet mode I cannot see the action icons for new mail, calendar, feedback and settings on the lower left hand part of the mail app screen without tapping the hamburger menu.

I also so far can't get Cortana to learn my voice or respond without first touching the microphone button.

I'm not having those sorts of problems in the Desktop version.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My mistake, I somehow installed an older build. Just installed current build and much much better, faster and usable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes