Is my Surface Pro 4 defective?

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got my SP4 today, made a local account, everything seemed fine. But around the time I logged in to my MS account and started checking for updates, the start menu stopped working, some system tray icons got super small, and even trying to access the Settings app via the Personalize option when right-clicking doesn't work. App not installed or something. Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated. Any ideas before I exchange it? Thanks!

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine completely stopped working after restarting from an update. But mine wouldn't log me in originally. The store wouldn't let me install anything and I did a check for updates already so those installed and I restarted. Now I just see the desktop but I can't click start or anything.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I found this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...nt-open-in-windows-10?forum=win10itprogeneral

Seems the issue may be due to a KB-Update that was deployed on the 13th. I tried a few of the fixes but didn't seem to work. A lot with PowerShell so I had no idea what I was actually typing in. I tried the DISM command line stuff as well. Was at 20% for what seemed forever. Then I restarted the computer that didn't seem to fix it either. Still on the hunt.

Though they say that creating another user account should fix it too. Not sure.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I am unable to open the settings app to do a refresh or anything on the device. So I can't even factory reset it. I tried to uninstall the KBs that seemed to be the issue but it's not working at all..

I think maybe i'll bring it in to the store to fix it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Store wouldn't be a bad choice. I think there is a command line or power shell command to do the reset as well.

The store employees will probably be a bit green too bit they have access to utilities the public doesn't have.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I must have had to reset my Surface 3 about 12 times. It finally seems stable. I'm happy I'm still debating on the Pro 4 vs Book. I'd hate to go through all those headaches again.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I must have had to reset my Surface 3 about 12 times. It finally seems stable. I'm happy I'm still debating on the Pro 4 vs Book. I'd hate to go through all those headaches again.

well it's win 10 related more so than surface related. I tried a variant of different "fixes" but it seems to be dead right now. But others have claimed to gotten it fixed. So im not really sure. TBD! Perhaps they can just swap it out too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon