Surface Pro 4 Pen Eraser not responding

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
My Surface Pro 4 is a dream come true. But the dream comes with a few issues. The largest of these is the Pen's eraser. Sometimes, I start up the Pro 4 and the eraser works as advertised. Other times, like at the time of this writing, the eraser is dead to the world.
Single click, nothing.
Double click, nothing.
Press and hold, nothing.
Erase in OneNote, nope.
Erase in Sketchbook, nada.
Erase in Bamboo, I don't think so.
Erase in Photoshop, better luck next time.

Pulled and reseated battery. No change.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Proper sacrificial process? Much obliged.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
In the interest of good science, I am going to go purchase a brand new AAAA battery and swap it out. I can't imagine that the $1400 computer I just bought would have shipped with a almost dead energizer battery in it, but hey, stranger things have happened. I'll update once this has been done.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Try pushing it in all the way until you hear a click. I had this happen a couple times with my SP1 pen. If it is the same issue it is just stuck out a tiny bit and tho resolves it until the next time which may be months down the road.

Hartley555

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I have just purchased the SP4 and it did indeed included a totally dead battery in the pen. I have replaced the battery but the eraser still does not work.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
An update on the situation. After exhausting all troubleshooting possibilities, I talked to MS support who agreed with the above user that the pen itself was a dud. I drove to my local Microsoft Store to get an exchange.

It took 3 tries to get a pen that worked from the supply of open items they had.
First, they tried to give me an SP3 pen. I quickly pointed out that I was on an SP4.
Then, the second pen would not initiate bluetooth pairing.
The third time was the charm and I was on my way. New pen has worked great so far.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon