Surface Slim Pen side button

Marcin Balcerzyk

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Got a Surface Pro X SQ2 and love it but the Slim Pen is confusing. Can anyone tell me what the side button on the Slim Pen's function is and if you know, how does one change it successfully? This diagram states it has selector and right-click functions but I do not see how. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/use-surface-slim-pen-645c2468-35ba-c924-09d0-ddaef63551d8. Thank you.

I have a Slim Pen with Surface Pro X. In the link above to use of side button is explained. In a browser (I use Edge), you can press the button and select with the pen tip sliding over the text. Open a Calculator and enter a number. You can press side button, slide over the number, and select it. Icon appears to copy it for example.

I hope that helps.
Marcin B.

Havilah Farnsworth

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
I just got my Surface 8 and after playing around I can't quite get the text selection mentioned in the previous reply to work consistently(may be a Windows 11 thing), but I've figured out that if you hold the side button and then tap the pen point it will act as a right-click, I was trying to right-click by hovering over and clicking the side-button(similar to Wacom experiences I've had previously), but this hold-tap works consistently for me(again, for Windows 11)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720