Kickstand Hinge Glue Coming Off-Sticking Out

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with their kickstand seriously not sitting flush where it joins with the metal? On mine it looks like the glue is coming off one of the parts in the middle that holds it down for rotation.
For $2000 I expect more.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 59466.jpg
    59466.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 20

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
My Pro 3's got a little bump at the top of the kickstand, but it's not nearly as bad as your kickstand, do you think its worth contacting Microsoft?
WP_20160205_17_34_25_Pro (2).jpg

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
My friend has a pro 3 as well with something similar to yours. Not as bad as mine. I shut mine today and both sides were really coming off for like half a second.

I'm going to contact Microsoft when I have time, see what they say. I've only had this since early January, so they should totally replace it.

Yours doesn't look too bad. How long have you had it?

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
That's a double picture. Meant this one

Attachments

• 59471.jpg
    59471.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 10

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
My friend has a pro 3 as well with something similar to yours. Not as bad as mine. I shut mine today and both sides were really coming off for like half a second.

I'm going to contact Microsoft when I have time, see what they say. I've only had this since early January, so they should totally replace it.

Yours doesn't look too bad. How long have you had it?

I've had my Pro 3 for (exactly) a year

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I've had my Pro 3 for (exactly) a year

My friend has had his for less than a year, but looks the same, not too Does it come away when you close it after its been running for a while?
I think on the pro 3 it just happens because the two things holding it in the middle are very close together, so maybe the get lose on the inside over time.

On the pro 4 they're farther apart, maybe to stop that? On mine, when I close it, it's very obvious the glue isn't bonding properly. You can see it stretching and pulling apart.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I think the reason why the kickstand hinge is 'straying' from the tablet is due to the silver coloured material tearing, probably due to wear and tear. It's also a shame that Microsoft didn't add a hinge in the (top) middle of the kickstand, like in the original Surface RT/Pro.
Screenshot (78).jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160206_14_47_16_Pro [81742].jpg
    WP_20160206_14_47_16_Pro [81742].jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 9

Chris_NH

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
When closed, the kick stand on my 1-year old i7 SP3 is perfectly flush. No problems and I use it several hours per day with kick stand in various angles.

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I think the reason why the kickstand hinge is 'straying' from the tablet is due to the silver coloured material tearing, probably due to wear and tear. It's also a shame that Microsoft didn't add a hinge in the (top) middle of the kickstand, like in the original Surface RT/Pro.
View attachment 121887

My friends has that too, and his is pretty ok. Think that's just a cover material for aesthetic.
There is a hinge in the middle, just very hidden, not big like the ones on the end.

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
So what I'm seeing is that I definitely should be contacting Microsoft about this, because it's not normal. The i7 gets hot, but not anywhere near the hinge glue area really, so this just seems like a bad unit. Damn.

peewee67

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
There is a hinge in the middle, just very hidden, not big like the ones on the end.

I'm pretty sure there is not? I can pull away the middle of the stand when opened, and then just see two small tabs on the edge of the stand, which suppose to go into two small slots in the back. What happens sometimes is these tabs do not go into the slots when closing, but slide over them, making the stand stand prone when shut. I just then flip open the stand again, press a bit in the middle when closing to make the tabs go into the slots and the stand will close flush again.

i5 256mb 8 GB

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by peewee67
Originally Posted by coocooman3

I'm pretty sure there is not? I can pull away the middle of the stand when opened, and then just see two small tabs on the edge of the stand, which suppose to go into two small slots in the back. What happens sometimes is these tabs do not go into the slots when closing, but slide over them, making the stand stand prone when shut. I just then flip open the stand again, press a bit in the middle when closing to make the tabs go into the slots and the stand will close flush again.

i5 256mb 8 GB

Those tabs are what I was referring to, not a huge hinge like on the side. They're not supposed to slide out like that. I've seen that issue before around the forums. Not sure what causes it, opening too forcefully and over-extending the kickstand was one theory. But it's a defect, and not normal.

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Update: the surface return/exchange website, sent it in (used advanced exchange or whatever because need a working computer), no questions asked. Seems that Microsoft considers it a manufacturing defect and willing to accept. However, my new one seems to have a group of dead pixels or some dirt under the screen. Sigh. Oh Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2