Outlook Online vs. Outlook 2016 in terms of battery life

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a big difference in terms of battery life when using Outlook 365 in Chrome versus using the full installed version of Outlook 2016 on my SP4?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Chrome kills your battery life. I would use edge.i haven't ever experienced bad battery life using Outlook 2016

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. However, as a web developer, the inspector and console tools in Edge are horrible, especially when compared to Chrome. I'd rather not switch between the two, plus I noticed that the fan fires up when I run both browsers at the same time. Still, I found myself wondering if Outlook online in the browser is taking more effort by the computer than simply just using Outlook 2016.

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how important is it for you to use the integrated features of Outlook Desktop client as compared to the light weight OWA version?
PST support (archiving), Skype for Business/Lync integration, Custom Rules etc. are just a few to name.
However, I don't see Outlook 2016 consuming much battery on my SP4, it's not even in the top 10 apps consuming battery.

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Not sure how important is it for you to use the integrated features of Outlook Desktop client as compared to the light weight OWA version?
I do find that the online version of Outlook is generally easier to use. For example, hover on an email title and click trash can to delete. There's more effort involved in deleting items in Outlook 2016. And that's just one example -- everything in Outlook 2016 seems more complicated to use.

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Chrome kills your battery life. I would use edge.i haven't ever experienced bad battery life using Outlook 2016
Yeah, I know. But I build websites and the inspector in Chrome is vastly better than the inspector in Edge. When I run both browsers at the same time, the fan kicks in, which can't possibly be good for battery life. So (for now) I choose Chrome. I look forward to the day when Edge's inspector can rival Chrome's, or when someone releases an extension to do the job. Overall, I much prefer Edge.

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Well, scratch that. It occurred to me that I installed the cumulative update on Tuesday, and it seemed to calm the fan down on a lot of things (like Photoshop). So I decided to load Outlook in Edge and sure enough, it's been running for about 15 minutes and no fan at all. Task Manager only shows 3% CPU usage, so I think that's all it needed. Now I'll run Outlook in Edge and continue working in Chrome. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon