WIFI connectivity issue

stephansdom

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
hi there surface community.

just got my surface pro 2 two day ago. first Impression = i like it. :smile:

however, i have one annoying issue.
the WIFI Connection gets constantly lost and after a certain lost/reconnect/lost/reconnect ... process,
the surface "dies". i need to wait a few minutes to be able to restart it. :cry:

going through the latest threads, i have not seen any comments/discussions regarding that issue.
any Input/help would be greatly appreciated.

thxs

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
First, try your Surface Pro 2 at a different location, like a Coffee shop, and see if you have the same problem. Sometimes, you can have incompatibilities with routers and wireless card.
In my case, with my old laptop with Intel Wireless N card (5100), it works properly anywhere I go. But at home, if I stream video for a long time, or anything somewhat intensive, it will lose connection, and I have to manually disconnect and re-connect.

If you have the problem at another place. Do like what DBDev suggest, and if that doesn't work, then it's perhaps a faulty wireless card that you have.

stephansdom

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
many thanks, to both of you, for your input.
i am trying it at different locations, as recommended.

at the Moment, i am testing it with a "shared" Internet connection via my htc Windows Smartphone, and the connection works fine.
i am streaming Internet Radio and no break-ups :smile:
i will try it tomorrow also with another, public WIFI Internet access point. Let's see & hope!

Droidophobe

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to see this question because I've had this same problem with loss of internet connection, failure to connect automatically, and failure to connect manually on the first or second attempt. My home setup (modem and router) are working fine with my other tablet, laptop, and phone, so I don't think they're the problem, and this happens with basic stuff like Email, not data-intensive streaming. How do I tell if the wireless card is incompatible with my router?

stephansdom

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
hi everybody,
just a brief update on my "field" test. i did try it yesterday with my home wifi (different setup/router) and it worked fine. no connection losses.
could it be that my Office wifi setup/router (where i do experience those connection loses), with a different and more sensitive security setting, could cause my problem.

fyi, for details of my Office setup i would need to contact our IT Person.

thanks.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yea, it's a countability problem. This is where the lack of serviceability and soldered on wireless card really shine the flows of tablets and many ultrabooks that solder on the wireless card. On a normal laptop, assuming no fix can be done, you can buy a different wireless card and just swamp it. As it works fine elsewhere. I would suggest to contact Microsoft. Perhaps they have a firmware update or wireless drivers that could help. If they can't help you (which is a possibility, such as they don't have any other drivers), you COULD try to look yourself for newer drivers. The Surface Pro 2 uses the Marvell AVASTAR 350N. If that doesn't help (or causes other issues), uninstall the drivers, and Windows update should find again the drivers (either you'll see the drivers in Windows Update, or the last firmware update show up again, which contains the drivers of the wireless card).

You could see with the IT of your place. Maybe there is a setting on your side that you can change, or on their side that they could change (although, if you work for a large company, I doubt they'll do that, unless it's a massive problem, or you are a top person at the company). However, sometimes, work places have a separate wireless, just for web surfing with no access to company stuff. Worth a check. Worth asking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimcolCross