Max resolution on external monitor

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

What is the max resolution the SP2 can handle with the HDMI connection on an external monitor? (I'm using a 24 inch monitor and naturally the 1920x1080 is working well, but If I get an ultra HD monitor will it work?)

Thank's!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
-> HDMI 1.3 max resolution is 4K at 30Hz at 16.7million colors (8-bit per channel (red, green and blue are channels))
-> HDMI 1.2 max resolution is 1920x1200 at 60Hz at 16.7million colors (8-bit per channel)

-> DisplayPort 1.2 max resolution is 4K at 60Hz at 1.07 billion colors (10-bit per channel)

However, the Surface Pro 2 can output "only" 4K at 30Hz at 16.7million colors, despite using DisplayPort.
The reason is that Intel put a limit on an U series Core i5 from achieving the max resolution of DisplayPort. We don't know if this limit is artificial (on purpose, for some idiotic reason), or that the Intel integrated graphic of the U series model isn't powerful enough to handle it.

10-bit per channel color support is not supported by the Intel integrated graphics.
In fact, only select AMD FirePro and Nvidia Quadro series graphics card support 10-bit or more colors per channel.
You need to have the content and supported software to view 10-bit per channel or more colors, in addition. So, I won't worry about it.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.

I am seriously thinking about getting a high resolution monitor because I am so tired of having to change my dpi settings every time I plug in an external monitor (24" 1920x1080). Having to log off is annoying.

The thing is that they can be so expensive. :|

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Getting the Dell UP2414Q should allow you to have the same DPI on both screens.
It's size is close to (this is measured visually by putting my Surface Pro 2 on my current 24inch) 4x the Surface Pro 2 display (without the black border), a bit larger, but it should make the text size about the same on both screens, so you can have the same DPI setting on both.

Sure it's expensive, but it's cheaper than 4x 1080p monitors of similar specs :)
Perhaps next year, we will have similar monitors without the fancy 10-bit colors, wide color gamut, GB-LED back light and just W-LED instead backlight, no color processor, etc. To make the monitor more affordable

If not then you have a bunch 28inch TN panels 4K monitors available at around 700-800$ (Dell, Samsung, and ASUS I believe.. all uses the same panel. Dell one is only 30Hz though, but gives you a fully adjustable stand add better warranty, so it's up to you which is better for you)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon