How do you use your Surface device?

Anidexlu Maga

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
We can talk specs all we want, but let's pay attention to the way we use or can use a Surface (so far I've tried Surface Pro 1 and 2).

Both at home and at the office I use my Surface's.

At home, I use it mostly for browsing the web, playing casual games, watching netflix at bed or connected to my 32" tv for movies. Also I use it quite a lot to show photos to my family and friends. When my friends come over before going out, I use it to play music (connected via hdmi to my tv, while the tv is connected to the sound equipment. I don't own a console).

As you can see, at home I consume content waaaay more than I create it, which means I use my Surface in tablet mode, not leaving Windows 8 "metro".

At work, I use it connected to a 23" monitor, with a separate wireless trackpad. Software I use on a daily basis: Sublime Text, Firefox, Wamp, Github, Compass, Chrome, Skype, FTP clients, PhotoShop, Illustrator... That's obviously all in desktop mode. And when I get tired of sitting on a chair looking up to the monitor, I grab my Surface pen, close the kickstand, take off the keyboard and take notes or draw some sketches in OneNote (metro version). I LOVE doing that. My coworkers almost don't change position all day, they take notes only by typing or in little papers or paper notebooks. I don't worry about paper and use the power of the cloud.

It's a matter of preference, of course, but what I love most about Surface Pro is that I can do all these different tasks with a single device, taking advantage of technology, but still feeling human, meaning the device doesn't dictate the way I should use it. It's my tablet, my desktop, my laptop, my entertainment center and my notebook. So I use it on a desk at the office, standing up writing notes during a meeting, in bed watching tv series, in the couch connected to my tv for watching movies with my boyfriend, in my lap if I have to do something quickly on the go, and a long list of etceteras...

What do you do with your Surface device?

acegamer

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the surface pro 2 which I just recently sold to make way for the surface pro 3. Really excited to get it!

I used my SP2 at home to browse the web, watch movies on Netflix, play the occasional game and stream movies and tv shows to my tv at times. My biggest use at home however was reading comics. I am really looking forward to the increased screen size with 3:2 ratio for reading my comics as it will make the experience much better by presenting the comics in close to real size.

At work I used the SP2 to take meeting minutes in OneNote which has been incredibly useful especially with the cloud connectivity. I'm an architect so I also used it to do field reports when I visit job sites. It really helped my work flow and I will miss it greatly over the next few weeks before the SP3 gets here.

In the meantime I spend a lot of time scouring the net for new reviews and impressions on the SP3. It is interesting to read the differing viewpoints although I am already sold on the device.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Surface Pro 1 which I picked up on launch which replaced a Macbook Air.

For work, I used it as a "field laptop" device, though it's now been replaced by a MacBook Pro (running Windows 8.1).

At home, I use it for web browsing, checking the weather, and Smartglass with Xbox One.

Ever since the Pro 3 announcement, I've been toying with the idea of getting an i5 SP3. I've starting using my Surface Pro more often now to see if an upgrade is warranted. I have a powerful desktop at home, a powerful workstation at work, and a Macbook Pro that travels with me almost all the time. My Surface Pro only gets out of the house now on non-work days.

It would be nice to have a lighter and faster tablet always on the go, and one that lasts longer than 4 hours on battery. For me, it's a question of getting a Pro 3, or saving the cost until a Pro 4 (which at this rate is every 6-8 months) and get a Power Cover instead, to extend the usability life of my Surface Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes