SP3 System Upgrade

Fred Mertz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've read a few comments from people on here that they are not going to immediately buy the SP3 on June 20, but will in fact wait for the inevitable system upgrade. Exactly what would this "upgrade" be and what's the usual time after initial release for something like this to happen? How many times does a system get an upgrade before they just move onto the next version (SP4)?

Thanks in advance.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It happened with the SP2 I know. I don't remember how many months after release it was. It wasn't any big upgrade. They started putting in a little bit faster of a processor. I believe that was it. From what I read on WPC, the performance increase wouldn't really be noticeable unless you ran benchmark tests. In everyday use, they said, you'd never know the difference.

It wasn't even announced or anything. Microsoft just started putting the newer chips in and one day someone noticed the part number was different I believe. The Pro 2s were out there with newer chips and no one noticed.

So, I'm not waiting. Well, I am waiting until Aug, 31. I am going all out for the i7 and best graphics. The biggest reason though is SDD space. I have the original pro and used it as my main computer. I always ran out of RAM and had to close programs and storage was a problem since day one. I am done with juggling external hard drives and flash drives. At home it isn't bad but when I need to take something with me.. No, I'm going full 512GB. It will be the last computer I can buy for a long time but it will be all I will need and I will love it.

PS- I use my Pro with a 27" monitor and wireless mouse and kb at home. You can't beat it.

LazyEvul

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing they're talking about a firmware update to address any early adopter issues. Microsoft has already promised to issue updates before the devices ship for certain issues that review units have been seeing, however. Otherwise, unless it's a major issue, Microsoft typically runs on a once-a-month software update schedule - on the second Tuesday of each month, they'll push out updates for all their stuff. So the earliest you can except this "upgrade", most likely, is July 8th. August 12th might be a more reasonable timeframe to allow for the discovery of various early adopter issues though.

This, however, operates on the assumption that there will be significant issues at launch, which isn't necessarily true - but then again, I'm an optimist who's had a fair bit of luck being an early adopter in the past.

If, however, they're talking about an upgrade of the actual hardware, it's unlikely that we'll see one until the Surface Pro 4 hits - the silent upgrade of the SP2's CPU from 4200U to 4300U was an unusual event, and also made very little difference in day-to-day usage. I suspect (pure speculation on my part) it also had to do with the fact that the SP3 would also end up shipping with the 4300U, getting Microsoft a bulk discount on parts and an early testbed for the CPU - but the Surface Pro 4 should ship with Broadwell, and Microsoft isn't just going to silently slip in a whole new CPU architecture.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought my original Surface Pro on day 1 and use it everyday. And I am a power user. It's a tablet and desktop with a few hard drives, external monitor, blu-ray burner flash drives and wireless mouse and keyboard. I never had an issue.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've read a few comments from people on here that they are not going to immediately buy the SP3 on June 20, but will in fact wait for the inevitable system upgrade. Exactly what would this "upgrade" be and what's the usual time after initial release for something like this to happen? How many times does a system get an upgrade before they just move onto the next version (SP4)?

Thanks in advance.
I believe that the SP3 was either too late to be released as the SP2 or too quick to be released in Sept 2014 (perhaps as a pre-emptive strike against what Apple might announce later this year). Given Microsoft's track record on various consumer electronic products, I'm expecting Microsoft to announce an upgrade to the SP3 in Sept, or the SP4.
But it is nothing more than speculation.

If you want/need one now, go for it because there is no tangible reason to wait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon