Bah...What Am I Doing Wrong?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
So...set up OneNote 2013 as my default OneNote application, but it won't automatically turn to portrait mode when I turn my SP3.

It's probably right in front of my face, but have searched all morening and can't see why it is "locked" in landscape mode just for this application.:crying:

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. If you go to the View Ribbon > Paper Size, a pane will appear to the right indicating "Auto" paper size and Portrait orientation. I don't have a tablet on which to test this (holding out until I can afford what you got), but if you change that to Letter, it might do what you want it to do.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Well... I'm going to chalk this one up to a simple bug.

Restart fixed it as I could not even find the spot to lock the rotation... didn't matter.

Have come across a couple of these minor issues. Usually more of them are associated with the type cover and certain features (like multi touch scrolling) not working after un-attaching and re-attaching the cover.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I bet the problem is with the type cover. I have had to reconnect and disconnect the type cover when I find that rotation will not work. Sometimes, when you disconnect the type cover, SP3 thinks it is still connected so it won't rotate. You can usually tell if you click on Settings > Screen. If the type cover is not connected and you see icon above the screen brightness adjustment with a 'lock', that means you have to reconnect and disconnect the type cover again. Either that or restart. :(

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes... after more fiddling, it does seem to be the type cover. Detaching or reorienting to utilize OneNote in portrait mode and then going back to "typing" mode. It looks like the touchpad features are affected.

Will lose the "touch to select" feature (not "click"... that always works) and especially the multi finger scroll feature... and that one really bothers me as I use it quite a bit with the keyboard open.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Turn on/off Rotation Lock
If you want to disable the auto-rotate on your screen temporarily, swipe left to open Charms -> Settings -> Screen. Above the slider for brightness is a little screen/arrow picture, touch this and it will lock the screen in whatever orientation it currently is in.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
The problem is if SP3 thinks that the type cover is still connected, you will get nowhere with that as it will show it as locked. I have tried and it just won't unlock until you reconnect and disconnect the type cover.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Just installed the updates and it seems to go into portrait now whether or not the type cover is attached or not. Not sure if it is really "fixed" as I'm not positive of what may have caused it in the first place. Just assumed it was the type cover as that seemed to be the only thing that could have affected it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2