Should I trade SP3 for the Macbook Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 can run any Windows program or game. Mac can only run Mac. Mac has a boring UI and SP3 is much more customizable. You also get a nice stylus from a SP3. The SP3 is the replacement for MAC. Leave your SP3, you will regret changing it. Mac doesn't have less problems than Windows. BTW if you have a Windows Phone, do not even think about MAC.

I have to agree with you!!!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya, and I appreciate the feedback, the people I'm referring to I genuinely believe them. This whole thing has made me think that any ol' computer will do, don't get me wrong....I really like the sp3, but it's far from perfect, and sometimes I don't like the way MS does things. For example: my power plans are gone due to hyper v, yes I can disable it but guess what? Then my sleep setting will disappear and it will only huber mate or power off. Why? I've no clue, my sp2 worked fine in that regard. Also after two firmware updates (one of which was on launch day) wifi is still quirky. Consistency is what I like, and a good experience, can't always get that with MS. I'm honestly on the fence here, and I like both machines for there strengths.

Ps. I don't have a wp anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Of that is true then get a real tablet PC. Don't get me wrong the sp3 is a great stirde for Ms in the consumer tablet PC market but if you want quality, consistency, and no funky quirks mac is the wrong way to go look at fujitsu' t or q series tablet PCs have yet to find anything that compares well with them in actual usage.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 can run any Windows program or game. Mac can only run Mac. Mac has a boring UI and SP3 is much more customizable. You also get a nice stylus from a SP3. The SP3 is the replacement for MAC. Leave your SP3, you will regret changing it. Mac doesn't have less problems than Windows. BTW if you have a Windows Phone, do not even think about MAC.

the Mac can run , bsd, Linux, andwindows OS's, and any program under them. can the surface?

the Mac will sit on your lap. (hardware)
the Mac will not get viruses (software)
the Mac will run more programs(software)

touch screen.... marketing

try typing on the surface on the train, in a car, at a conference with no tables... then tell me it's hardware and top heavy balance better than a laptop.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
the Mac can run , bsd, Linux, andwindows OS's, and any program under them. can the surface?

try typing on the surface on the train, in a car, at a conference with no tables... then tell me it's hardware and top heavy balance better than a laptop.

Touch screen is as much a marketing ploy as retina display...i say its not a gimmik. I love the touch screen on my Pro 2, I much prefer using touch than a pointer...but that's my preference, I wouldn't say its the same for everyone.

While some say the touch screen isn't a big deal, I think it is...its one of the huge factors between the 2...if it wasn't there than SP3 wouldn't have much on its side other than weight which I'm guessing is the same anyway.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Touch screen is as much a marketing ploy as retina display...i say its not a gimmik. I love the touch screen on my Pro 2, I much prefer using touch than a pointer...but that's my preference, I wouldn't say its the same for everyone.

While some say the touch screen isn't a big deal, I think it is...its one of the huge factors between the 2...if it wasn't there than SP3 wouldn't have much on its side other than weight which I'm guessing is the same anyway.

agreed, touch screen and retina display are both marketing hoopla in manifest.

TokenBlack

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely. You can torrent on it, but there is more to consider. I bought a brand new MacBook and returned it 2 weeks later, though. The OS helps you be a tad bit more productive than a PC does, but it just isn't fun enough. Windows works better with my media center, but the MacBook won't even easily allow you to hook into a tv via HDMI and close the lid. You will miss the touchscreen too.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to sit here and bash the Macbook Air because the hardware is amazing, and I can definitely see its merits; however, the "Macs can't get viruses" is sort of a myth. There's malware out there for OSX, just not as much because it's not targeted as heavily due to the low marketshare. Doesn't get viruses isn't the same as can't get viruses. Based on the things that you say you do with a computer, you likely wouldn't run into any problems, but don't be lured into a false sense of security.

To address the "labability" of the SP3, I'll say that about 85% of the time I use mine in my lap and not on a table, and have zero issues. The new adjustable kickstand really does make a HUGE difference.

Also, a few years ago my wife was dying for a MBA, so we got her one. Fast forward to now, and she HATES it. She's totally jealous of my SP3. So take that for what it's worth...

Your reluctance here is understandable since devices of this price can be quite an investment. One big thing to consider is, like others have said, if you go to the MBA and end up hating OSX, you can always load Windows on it. Like I said, the hardware of the device is incredible, and the software can be tweaked to your liking if you're having trouble adjusting.

There are big pros and cons to both, for sure. Maybe try using the SP3 for a bit longer to see how you end up liking it (and to see if you can get past the little quirks that you mentioned before), and then make your decision based off of that.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Absolutely. You can torrent on it, but there is more to consider. I bought a brand new MacBook and returned it 2 weeks later, though. The OS helps you be a tad bit more productive than a PC does, but it just isn't fun enough.
The suitability of an OS is highly personal and depends upon what you want to do. For you, you seem to want to be entertained by the OS itself. For others, the OS is just a means to an end... the "fun" comes from the software that you can use, not arranging icons in folders and swapping out wallpaper.

For me, I love that the OSX UI is grey and doesn't draw attention to itself... the content in the software is where the focus is at. I appreciate that OSX is stable enough that it doesn't require updates every few days.

(warning: automobile analogy ahead) In some respects, Windows is like that project car you tinker with on weekends... more time spent with wrenches under the hood and washing and waxing than actually driving. OSX in contrast is the basic transportation that you simply get out and use to go to fun and interesting places.

But that may just be me. I work with Windows workstations all day, all week long. When I get home, I simply want to do things without fuss. I find that OSX is better suited for that.

Windows works better with my media center, but the MacBook won't even easily allow you to hook into a tv via HDMI and close the lid. You will miss the touchscreen too.
I find PLEX to be an outstanding home media solution. I can connect every device in my house to my iMac using Plex. From my smart TVs, connected-Blu-Ray players, Roku, Android tabs, iPad, Windows notebooks, MBA, etc. All work flawlessly.

It is interesting that you added the "easily" qualifier to the issue of connecting a macbook to a TV via hdmi with the lid closed. Because it IS possible to do that, and "easily" is subjective. So you threaded the needle on that one. :evil:

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

SP3 sits on my lap all the time... with and without the type cover. You don't even have that choice with a laptop... it doesn't burn my legs... it's lighter... see how easy it is to throw out benefits without listing any negatives? Yes, a laptop is more stable and easier in some situations, but does the SP3 work in those same situations? Yes, it does.

You must of jumped into your time machine back to 1998....Macs do in fact get viruses and it has been proven that the only reason they get less than Windows is the sheer volume of people running Windows versus Mac OS. Bad people do not create as many viruses for Macs because they would rather attack the majority. As Mac popularity has increased slightly over the past 10 years, the number of Mac viruses has as well.

The Mac will run more programs? I'm sure you are looping in the Windows programs it can run... but not as well as a pure Windows machine.

Touch screen is just marketing? I don't even know how to respond to this one....

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've always owned a Windows computer, and never felt the need to get a Mac because many of the applications I was using didn't support OS X at the time. Over the years many developers have made their apps for both Windows and OS X due to the increased sales of Mac products over the years. When I got my MacBook Pro, I said I would never go back to a Windows machine. When they released Windows 8 I went to the store and played around with it. I was impressed, but it still didn't persuade me from my Mac. When the Surface Pro came out, that was a different story. The pen technology and touch screen combo opens up a world of possibilities. When taking notes, I usually prefer typing them. The downside is that I'm unable to sketch out diagrams and charts while taking notes on a traditional laptop keyboard. Now I'm able to type, write, and sketch things within the notes I take. If it wasn't for those features, then I'd be fine with any other laptop.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
This is the wrong forum for this kind of questions since it'll inevitably be biased.

My 2 cents is wait to see if Apple updates the Macbook Air to decide. A retina Air would be a tremendous upgrade from what I've read. According to MacRumors:
"Apple's 11 and 13-inch ultra-portable notebook computers received an update on April 29 with upgraded processors and reduced prices. A 12" Retina model is rumored for the fall."

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
For me, it'd be a no-brainer: Keep the SP3 because I don't care for the Mac OS interface paradigm and I'm a .NET developer.

That said, you may have different criteria/needs. I think that's what some people are getting at, when they're asking what you'll use it for. If you do mostly web browsing, work with documents, listen to music, and watch movies, then a Mac will do what you need. It, obviously, will have great interaction with iTunes. MS Office is available for Mac. Even things like Quicken are available for Mac. You won't find as many games, but a couple of quick searches show that Diablo 3 is available and Steam has a pretty good heap -- if you were a hardcore gamer, then you'd want to build your own rig, anyway.

I don't think it actually matters to 80% or more of home users. We're really at the point where many, if not most, folks could get away with only an iPad and (maybe) a keyboard.

My suggestion is to wander into Best Buy and try out a Mac (the model you'd buy, so you get the full feel) and play with your SP3 some. See which one you like better, in terms of general flow of the UX. Then, think about your use cases: If you're using at a desk or table, the hinge vs. kickstand is less of an issue because it'll be supported either way. If you're spending time on the couch, will it be writing a lot of text (MS Word, big emails, long forum posts, etc.) or mostly consuming (browsing the web, short emails, short posts, etc.)? The former makes the Mac more attractive, while the latter would be well served by something that could be held as a tablet (it pretty well describes how one of my friend uses his iPad). You'll also have to decide how big of a factor handwriting is for you (it's a big deal, for me).

Both have similar specs, so you won't see much difference in day-to-day performance, portability, etc. It's all very subjective. You might want to ask yourself how much effort you're willing to put into the decision, though. If you're willing to do a lot, then it might just be that you're looking for an excuse to jump ship, which is fine. If not, then you could just go with the machine that doesn't require you to do much to keep. If the event of a coin flip, I'd go with lowest effort.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
SP3 sits on my lap all the time... with and without the type cover. You don't even have that choice with a laptop... it doesn't burn my legs... it's lighter... see how easy it is to throw out benefits without listing any negatives? Yes, a laptop is more stable and easier in some situations, but does the SP3 work in those same situations? Yes, it does.

You must of jumped into your time machine back to 1998....Macs do in fact get viruses and it has been proven that the only reason they get less than Windows is the sheer volume of people running Windows versus Mac OS. Bad people do not create as many viruses for Macs because they would rather attack the majority. As Mac popularity has increased slightly over the past 10 years, the number of Mac viruses has as well.

The Mac will run more programs? I'm sure you are looping in the Windows programs it can run... but not as well as a pure Windows machine.

Touch screen is just marketing? I don't even know how to respond to this one....

if you want to balance a tablet, that's cool. I prefer laptop for typing.

guess I've missed the train load of viruses by magic or miracle these last 8 years? zero infections, roots, hacks, anything at all from clicking on any email attachment, any web link, downloading GPS tracking programs from Russia (that I love), but even more importantly, Mac os doesn't constantly nag me with pop ups about time/date, updates, "tour computer might be at risk!", and similar tool bar annoyances. this, directly from the operating system, I'm not even talking about the poor web rendering, and scary stuff from the web.

programs, operating systems, applications, all running on one the laptop, yes. can the surface run bsd, Linux, Mac OS, xp, natively? with VMware? I honestly don't know.

yes, you've been marketed to believe touch screen matters, on a laptop. watching someone use windows 8 on a surface, and occasionally get confused as to whether touching the screen, the keyboard, our the track pad is the right input method proves it

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

Windows doesn't get Viruses, both systems get Malware. Semantics count. Viruses are dead and gone, most infections are done by social engineering and exploits through third party software such as PDFs, DMGs, malformed Zips and so on. Microsoft is also the world leader in security and has done more for the security industry than any other company. It wrote the manual for secure development after the debacl? of XP. Since Vista the security of Windows is pretty much rock solid, it's only with social engineering and third party exploits that compromise it. Plus Apple's attitude to security is pretty much stick their head in the sand.

Windows will run more software than OS X, it will go back 20 years, OS X will only go back 8 with the death of the PPC. Plus you've more chance of being supported under Windows with a clear time of support unlike OS X when support is killed off when Apple decides. Also you can run any OS under a VM on both systems so the argument is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon