What I'd like to see out of the Surface lineup next time around

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
First and foremost, I think it is important that Microsoft keeps the Surface lineup for devices running FULL Windows. Not any mobile iteration of their OS. Leave anything not running full Windows to the Lumia line.

The next generation of Ultrabooks, it seems like everyone is going with a Core M processor. I think that's kind of sad. I know, they're fanless, blah blah blah, but powerwise, they don't even come close to the i5 and the i7. I hope Microsoft keeps an i5 and i7 option alive for the Surface. Here's what I hope they do:

They create a Surface running the Core M processor. Call that the Surface Lite (or something along those lines). That can be their entry level model. Should be pretty cost effective for college students, even mobile professionals. Stull full Windows like I said, still with the pen, just doesn't have to be SUPER high end. This would be the product I would see going up against the new 12" MacBook Air, which I see turning out to be a lower end product than the current MacBook Air. They had to differentiate as the current Pro is very thin, so it would only make sense for them to create a more entry level Mac.

Then, I would hope they keep around the i5 and i7. That can be the Surface Pro 4 (or whatever). The reason there are two different models is because I would assume that the Surface Lite would have to be a slimmer chassis as the Core M would make the device slimmer. The Surface Pro 4 would be that true high end machine for those who need the power (such as myself) for running a lot of resource heavy software. This would obviously be a true successor to the Surface Pro 3.

I would really hate for the Surface line to go down the road of just a Core M option as I feel that would disappoint a lot of people, including myself. I think branching off into two different products would keep the same market that you already have, as well as create a newer one. Not saying this is what will happen, but I think this would be a good solution.

Oh and one last message to Microsoft: INCLUDE. THE. TYPE. COVER. YOU. MORONS. :)

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Instead of having multiple "versions" like you suggest, imho it might be easier for the consumer if MS went the way of Lenovo with this; that is, have the consumer choose what they want in their model. A modular Surface, if you will. More and more OEMs are moving to the modular system, and I think it would be killer for the Surface line.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like the Surface form factor isn't for you. Power wise, I think the size, power, weight ratio is just about perfect.

I agree the keyboard should come as standard, but if it did, the price would be higher and maybe some don't want the keyboard?

Maybe you should be looking for a super powerful 13-14" gaming laptop?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the Surface form factor isn't for you. Power wise, I think the size, power, weight ratio is just about perfect.

I agree the keyboard should come as standard, but if it did, the price would be higher and maybe some don't want the keyboard?

Maybe you should be looking for a super powerful 13-14" gaming laptop?

No, the Surface form factor is completely perfect for me, I think you missed it. I'm talking about programs such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Nik Software, maybe even Vegas, etc. An i5 Surface with 8GB of RAM can handle it perfectly. Not games. My whole point in this post was how the current gen Surface is perfect, but I'm worried of them going to the Core M's, making the product not perfect for me (and others).

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as including the keyboard, I think it's necessary for the Surface as these are high end devices running full Windows. Who would spend $1200 on a device to not use a keyboard with it? It's clear that the Surface is meant to be used with a keyboard, and it's even part of their marketing. If you want a device without a keyboard, you'd be looking at a different segment of the market

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd like a Surface Mini.

I was so crushed that the Surface Mini never released, and I'd still like to see one. However, like I said, to avoid confusion, I hope Microsoft keeps the Surface like all full Windows. So a Surface Mini with a Core M (or higher end Atom) would be awesome! If it's running their mobile OS, then I think it should be a Lumia

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was so crushed that the Surface Mini never released, and I'd still like to see one. However, like I said, to avoid confusion, I hope Microsoft keeps the Surface like all full Windows. So a Surface Mini with a Core M (or higher end Atom) would be awesome! If it's running their mobile OS, then I think it should be a Lumia

A Surface mini should be 6 or 7 inches with a kickstand and a pen. It should have a great camera run full windows AND be a Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes