Can someone help me with a question for digital artists, relating to Surface Pro 3?

Lucas234

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Question for digital artists, relating to Surface Pro 3

I'm thinking of taking up digital art as a hobby. I was looking at some Wacom tablets on Amazon a while back, but then I thought about getting a new tablet as well. Since my dad wants a tablet, I can give him my oldish, but still very capable Nexus 10, and get myself a Windows tablet. I was fighting myself on whether to buy a 2-in-1 ultrabook like the Asus Transformer Book devices, or a tablet like the Surface. I had a hard time convincing myself of spending the money, but then I learned I could use it to draw with. If I can kill two birds with one stone, get myself a new tablet and something to draw with, that'd be great. The question is would it be acceptable for me? I can understand some veteran artists who are used to top dollar equipment not being satisfied with this, but I'm not in the same boat as them.

I know nothing about digital art, and will be starting from absolutely no experience. Would a Surface Pro 3 meet my needs? I've been reading a lot about people whining it only has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity, and others rebuke with the fact that those numbers are largely marketing sales points any more, and it's not going to make leaps and bounds of difference.

So for a complete newbie, would this be satisfactory for me, or should I get a dedicated device for the task, like one of the sub $100 Wacom tablets on Amazon?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Question for digital artists, relating to Surface Pro 3

I previously had a $100 Wacom tablet paired with my old hp laptop and trust me,drawing on that is NO WHERE near as wonderful as drawing directly on the screen of the surface pro 3. I had the Wacom bamboo splash and personally don't notice any difference in drawing except for the surface of the bamboo was slightly rugged to give a paper like feel while the surface screen is nice and smooth, which surprisingly feels awesome and in my opinion better than paper sometimes. I am an artist and draw on my surface pro 3 all the time. I would definitely recommend it. For someone who wants to draw a lot I was personally getting sick of having my hand draw and sketch against a board laying flat on a desk while my eyes focus on the screen. On the surface everything is so perfect and natural,becuase im not stuck sitting at a table or desk, you can take it and draw with it wherever you can take and draw on a notebook. In fact IT IS A NOTEBOOK , a magical notebook that runs windows and has a beefy intel processor tht transforms into a laptop in an instant. I say go for it, if your willing to pay for it, you wont regret it

Lucas234

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Which one do you have? I was hoping the i5/4GB version would be suitable for art software, but I'd rather have more than enough than not enough hardware resources available. I'd like to get it for myself for my birthday in April, but if I have to save up for a bit longer I'm willing to wait. I'm perfectly fine with spending the money, I just don't want to get something and find out it's not what I need.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

I had a Asus T100 2-1 (still have). Although it is a great little device for the price, it is built to it's price. No decent storage, screen is just too small, etc, etc. Had my SP3 for 7 weeks and love it. I had a Note 3 and hardly ever used the pen, but with the SP3, I use the pen all the time - especially sketching ideas and drawings. Yes it is expensive, but in this case you do get what you pay for. (i5/256)

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

A SP3 will both meet and exceed your needs, i have the i5/8gb model and it runs art software like a dream! It really is a pleasure to draw with! - Adam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes