docking station and stuff

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I made it to the surface pro 3 fan club with a brand new i5 256 with type cover, docking station and a case.
One thing I'm nervous about, is that i notice that my sp3 gets warmer whilst charging on the docking station compared to the regular charger. As I've only had it a few days, I'm not sure what to expect.
Has anybody else noticed this?
Something else I'm curious about is what is the expected lifetime of the sp3 before built in obsolescence takes effect?
X

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't really noticed a difference in warming on the docking station, but then again I haven't really been paying much attention to it either. I suspect it may be because you are running external monitors and pushing the gpu harder. I wouldn't expect strictly charging to be much different.

I doubt anyone can answer your second question. It's running some fairly powerful x86-64 hardware so I don't see any technical reason that it won't continue to be updated/supported for a long time. If MS was attempting to design "Built-in Obsolescence" into the SP3 they did the worst job ever. It is crammed full of so much cutting edge technology it is mind blowing. It really comes down to what you intend to use it for and how that compares to the performance advantages of future hardware.

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I haven't really noticed a difference in warming on the docking station, but then again I haven't really been paying much attention to it either. I suspect it may be because you are running external monitors and pushing the gpu harder. I wouldn't expect strictly charging to be much different.

I doubt anyone can answer your second question. It's running some fairly powerful x86-64 hardware so I don't see any technical reason that it won't continue to be updated/supported for a long time. If MS was attempting to design "Built-in Obsolescence" into the SP3 they did the worst job ever. It is crammed full of so much cutting edge technology it is mind blowing. It really comes down to what you intend to use it for and how that compares to the performance advantages of future hardware.

Thanks for your reassurance on the second bit :)

Regarding the docking station, im not running a second monitor, as the pc shops round my area have all run out of the necessary cable.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
My fans do seem to kick on more often in the dock then outside of, though the type of stuff I'm doing, can explain that more then being in the dock.

The temps are in the mid 50s to 60s (celsius) when the fans kick on, and don't go beyond the 60s

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am running windows 10 on my pro 3, the fan kicks on as well as my sp3 gets hot. I thought it might be windows 10 (software related)

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am running windows 10 on my pro 3, the fan kicks on as well as my sp3 gets hot. I thought it might be windows 10 (software related)

I don't have a docking station but was running Win10 on my SP3 i5/128 and it was getting as quite a bit hotter than before Win10 so I went back to 8.1. Not sure why and I have not been able to find out anything about it so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes