Surface not charging when phone is being charged

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

my Surface Pro 3 is not charging, when my Phone is connected to the charger via USB. The phone get's charged, but the Surface doesn't. As soon as I unplug my phone, the Surface get's charged.

What's the reason for this? Why make an extra USB Port on the charger, if it can't be used together? Is this normal or is something wrong with my charger?

Thanks for your help.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
There could be something wrong with your charger, but also, what kind of outlet are you plugging in 110v?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You may have a faulty charger. I just plugged my phone into the USB port on the charger and it is charging both my SP3 and my Icon.

To test to ensure it is the charger, try plugging it into to different outlets. If it doesn't charge both devices simultaneously, then it's the charger. If it works in other outlets, then that outlet may not be supplying enough power.

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I tried it on 4 different outlets in my house and one at the university and the problem persists. So it's the charger, I guess.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just thought of this. Try a different USB cable. It is possible that the USB cable you are using to charge your phone may be at fault. I'm just trying to rule out all other possibilities before you go spending money on a new charger.

Bolimomo

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Why fuzz with the charging via a SP3? Doesn't your cell phone come with a charger that plugs into the outlet? Why must tether off a SP3?

You can buy a cheap transformer that on one end plugs into the outlet, and the other end a USB 2.0 out, just for power. Then you can plug in to that USB for charging your cell phone too.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine does the same thing - the Surface charger will only charge one device.

And I have a brand new charger.

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Why not? I have the Surface charger with me and a USB cable as well, why should I carry an extra charger if a USB Port is integrated in the SP3 charger?

I tried some things out and it seems, that SP3 with over 80% charged get's charged most of the time, under 80% not. With a different cable I didn't have issues yet. So I guess it is the cable, that's broken. I'll test the next days and see, if it works. Thanks for your help. =)

edit: "under 80% not" isn't quite correct, sometimes it works, but most of the time not - just to clear things up

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It might be an idea to walk into a shop where there's an SP3 on display and test with that charger. This is how I diagnosed my dead charger.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine does the same thing - the Surface charger will only charge one device.

And I have a brand new charger.

Like I said try a different USB cable. Not all cables are created equal. Some may have a lower quality build or materials and are providing more resistance which would lower overall power throughput. I've ran into this with my Icon. It would say it was connected to a slow charger, then I tried a different USB cable on the same charger and I didn't get the same alert.

Always try the cheapest route first before replacing an expensive item.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Why fuzz with the charging via a SP3? Doesn't your cell phone come with a charger that plugs into the outlet? Why must tether off a SP3?

You can buy a cheap transformer that on one end plugs into the outlet, and the other end a USB 2.0 out, just for power. Then you can plug in to that USB for charging your cell phone too.

Did you not read the post? They have plugged the USB cable into the USB port on the charger. I am pretty sure they put that port there for a reason. If it does not work then there is a problem. Quite frankly you are also suggesting the person waste money to achieve exactly what the port on the SP3 charger already does.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It might be an idea to walk into a shop where there's an SP3 on display and test with that charger. This is how I diagnosed my dead charger.

It is either the cable or a bad charger. I charge my phone off the port in the charger whenever I travel (which is a lot). My Microsoft Band also charges off that port when I am home. There has never been a problem with charging something off the port and the SP3 at the same time....

stormNL

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
in my case it definitely was the cable, after quite some initial panic and anger (my phone wasn't charges overnight before going to hospital with my mother for surgery), a better usb cable did the trick.
check your cables!
​leol

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
+1 on the cable. changed to a better quality cable and my phone and other micro USB devices will charge without affecting the surface charge

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it's definitely the cable, it works all the time without problems with the cable of my Kindle, but with none of my other cables. Btw. I bought a pack of cables from amazon and none of them works (I hope it's no problem if I post this link? I just post it so nobody buys it, because it doesn't work with the charger http://www.amazon.de/Premium-versch...ag=techracom00-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3077738). Has somebody a recommendation for a cable that works or something I should look for when buying a cable? I want a 1ft/0,3m cable with which I can charge both devices... why is it so hard to find one. -.-

walcolm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i definitely have the same problem..whenever i plug any cable to the usb port, the surface stops charging and the pther device might or might not charge...is this not a hardware defect and should it not be covered under warranty?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
i definitely have the same problem..whenever i plug any cable to the usb port, the surface stops charging and the pther device might or might not charge...is this not a hardware defect and should it not be covered under warranty?

Like I said previously, try a different USB cable. Not all USB cables are created equal in quality of build or materials used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon