Can I get some feedback from current Surface Pro 3 owners?

eseerc

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Requesting Feedback From Current Surface Pro 3 Owners

Hi everyone,

I continued to be drawn to purchasing a Surface Pro 3 (or likely waiting until the 4 comes out) and replacing my iPad and Macbook Pro. I have a few questions and would appreciate honest feedback from current Surface Pro 3 owners.

1) My iPad is essentially "on" all of the time. Does the SP3 work well in the same way? Or is it recommended to shut down after you finish using it since it is a fully functioning computer?

2) Do I need to worry about giving the SP3 room to "breathe"? In other words, can I toss it into my bag while its on and forget about it for a few hours without damaging it?

3) I keep reading reports about how hot a SP3 can get. Is there any concern with this from actual users?

4) For those who have used both a SP3 and an iPad.... does the SP3 offer similar responsiveness in terms of the touch screen?

5 (and finally) I would likely use a SP3 80% of the time as a tablet and 20% of the time with the keyboard attached (like a laptop). For those who are heavy users of their SP3 as a tablet, do you find it too big or heavy?

I appreciate any and all input, thank you!

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Requesting Feedback From Current Surface Pro 3 Owners

1. No, mine stays "on" ask the time. It has a special sleep mode that keeps it from running down.

2. I've had no over hearing issues and II keep it in my backpack.

3. The back gets warm under heavy usage. Nothing major.

4. The touch screen works great. Just be sure it is fully updated.

5. Not really, it is large but that's a bonus most of the time and its certainly not heavy. I actually use it as a laptop most I'd the time though.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

1. I usually turn it off, only because that it takes no time at all to boot, so I'm not worried about it. Personal preference... Sometimes I just forget and leave it on.

2. For the times that I have left mine on I keep it in the Hex case that the MS Store sells, and I've had no issues at all.

3. For me it gets warm after a while, but NEVER hot, and never hot enough where I felt like I was going to get burned or damage the SP3.

4. I have an iPad 4 and a SP3, and they both seem the same as far as responsiveness. I did wish that the SP3 would pop up the keyboard when I need to type something when I am in tablet mode, like the iPad does... that's my only complaint.

5. I don't find it heavy at all, but I do notice a difference when going from the iPad to the SP3. I hold both the same way, and they are both fine. With the SP3 having the pen makes it better for me than the iPad.

Hope that helps...!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^the SP3 keyboard does pop up when you're trying to type something in an app. don't use desktop when you're in tablet mode.

5. yea the SP3 is among the heaviest tablets (only the previous SP are heavier) so IDK if your 80:20 use will be okay. depends on how you use your tablet. if you like to prop up the tablet on a table then weight doesn't matter. if you prefer holding tablet in the hand, then i wouldn't sell the ipad.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi everyone,

I continued to be drawn to purchasing a Surface Pro 3 (or likely waiting until the 4 comes out) and replacing my iPad and Macbook Pro. I have a few questions and would appreciate honest feedback from current Surface Pro 3 owners.

1) My iPad is essentially "on" all of the time. Does the SP3 work well in the same way? Or is it recommended to shut down after you finish using it since it is a fully functioning computer?

I have the i5/128GB with a 128GB MicroSD card. It stays "on" all of the time. I've had no issues at all. Yes, it is a fully functioning Windows PC, but Windows has come a loooonnnnggg way since the days of Windows 95 and worrying about shutting down every so often.

2) Do I need to worry about giving the SP3 room to "breathe"? In other words, can I toss it into my bag while its on and forget about it for a few hours without damaging it?

Nope. I have a Snugg leather folio (designed for a MacBook) that I put it in. I then put that into a back pack and I don't have any issues of "breathing."

3) I keep reading reports about how hot a SP3 can get. Is there any concern with this from actual users?

Yes it can get warm to the touch. I find that it's about on par with a normal laptop or netbook. Since the keyboard is the part that generally sits touches my lap, I don't feel it at all. So, in my opinion it's not that big of a deal.

4) For those who have used both a SP3 and an iPad.... does the SP3 offer similar responsiveness in terms of the touch screen?

It's just as responsive; and I find it more responsive than many Android tablets.

5 (and finally) I would likely use a SP3 80% of the time as a tablet and 20% of the time with the keyboard attached (like a laptop). For those who are heavy users of their SP3 as a tablet, do you find it too big or heavy?

For me, no I don't find it to big or heavy as a tablet. It's balanced pretty well. Microsoft ensured that the internal components are placed in such a way so that you can hold it in either hand, in portrait or landscape orientation without one side feeling heavier than another or over balanced.

I appreciate any and all input, thank you!

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
^the SP3 keyboard does pop up when you're trying to type something in an app. don't use desktop when you're in tablet mode.

Lol...,yea, sorta figured that out about an hour ago. Better late than never, right? It's because i usually use the SP3 in Desktop mode, so that's why it doesn't pop up for me... thanks for the reply though...

eseerc

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
One thing I forgot to ask... how is the battery life in a SP3 for general web browsing and email? Website says 9 hours....

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I've never really noticed how often battery life I get, but I put in on charge at night and it lasts the day!

A couple of pros for the SP3 is the kickstand and keyboard.

I generally use the Type Cover as a case as well as a keyboard, but if you just want a tablet the pull it off.

The kickstand is just an amazing bit of design, it does it's job just brilliantly.

Oh and I forgot the pen!! I know things will change with W10 tablet mode but trying to use my SP3 without a pen would be not half as enjoyable.

jmaporras

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site

1. I usually turn it off, but that is because I use it most as a working device and I run "heavy" software that makes battery life shorter. But if you are going to use it as a tablet 80% of the time, you should not have problem leaving it on. Sleep mode works great and you do not feel you lose more than a few minutes after several hours.

2. I take it on my bag every day many hours and with a simple case it is fine. No even a scratch.

3.When you run big games or have more than 8 programs in desktop running side by side it may get a little warm but nothing that matters really.

4.The touch screen is wonderful and if you have it updated it is flawless, nothing to envy as an ipad user. And the resolution and colors are a blessing.

5.If you plan to use it on-the-go it may be a little heavy. But if you use it mostly sitting down on a chair or a sofa or on a table it is fine. Then, you have the advantage of the built-in kickstand that is great for using it on the bed, table or even sitting down, for web, twitter, facebook and videos.

Go for it, it has been the best investment I've done for a device!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon