Are there still issues with win 10 and sp2

MDBulldog

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about updating my surface pro 2 to windows 10. I was wondering what the experience is like for other sp2 owners. I notice at first, some had issue with battery drain, excessive heat, as well as possible other issues. Have these issue been resolved or are they still plaguing sp2 owners?

Thanks.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Battery drain/heat are related. After my clean install AND setting up a power saver profile this past week my battery life has been near Win 8.1 levels again (i.e. excellent). I still feel it's a tiny bit warmer than when I had Win8.1 on it, but it's far from being hot as during the first week of having upgraded to Win10. I can't stress enough how much the factory reset + power saver profile made a difference.

Are there still other issues? Depends on what you call issues. For me, the entire tablet mode user experience is still an "issue" in that it's not as touch/gesture friendly as in Win 8.1. :(

Another thread about this: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...ter-upgrading-win-10-how-does-one-report.html

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded an 8.1 Media Center version two days ago -first try, no resets, nor any other prepping. Have only used the Groove Music, Zune, OneNote, and Edge programs to date, but I have no issues. I'm playing music continuously on shuffle-play-all today as a preliminary battery check -an easy comparison for me because I would often do that under 8.1. At this point, after 1.5 hours, it's been running cool (from first day), and battery shows 77%: the time-remaining fluctuates very non-linearly, including increasing, along the way. I am only occasionally clicking the Groove album, reminders, and the taskbar battery icon. Brightness is set at 50% and I haven't modified nor checked any other power or sleep setting. The screen has only dimmed or gone black once, not slept. Will update with data tonight or tomorrow.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I did an upgrade from a an 8.1 factory reset install on my Surface Pro 2. So far everything has been working fine for me without any major issues that I've noticed.

If you find you have problems I'd either do a restore then upgrade, or have 10 do a clean install.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Following up on yesterday's post: My W10 SP2 played a shuffle of my music collection, continuously, for 7' 55". That's significantly greater than under 8.1 Media Center (which ran the same as regular 8.1) -33 to 40% more, if not better. The power setting is Balanced, with 15" screen and 30" sleep times. The playback went into screen dimming several times, but only for brief moments, and into sleep once. It never stopped playing. This simple battery-time test indicates an impressive improvement, now more like my 8.1 RT's times. Video playback is my next test, to see how it compares with my Kindle and RT tablets. With even greater improvements in start-up and shut-down times, and a faster browser, however, this SP2 has already become a very efficient machine. And there's a big update coming... Good work, Microsoft.

Edit: the SP2 auto-shut-down at 7% battery level. I wasn't watching the screen, but I wasn't expecting it. Low-battery pop-up warnings came at 10 and 7%. While it didn't shut down right when I closed the 7% warning, when I re-started, plugged in, the level was at 7%.

Last edited:

MDBulldog

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I would.like to take the time to thank everyone who responded to my post.
I will be upgrading my sp2 this weekend. if I have any issue, problems, or if everything goes alright I will be posting here in this thread.

Again thanks

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I would.like to take the time to thank everyone who responded to my post.
I will be upgrading my sp2 this weekend. if I have any issue, problems, or if everything goes alright I will be posting here in this thread.

Again thanks

This weekend you should or may get it with the Fall --final-for-now-- update,reportedly (here, at least) due tomorrow. I'm looking forward to interface and Groove Music improvements.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
To be clear, the Surface Pro 2 doesn't have any more problems with Windows 10 than any other PC. These are Windows 10 problems. I have Windows 10 on one Surface Pro 2 and Windows 8.1 on the other SP2. Windows 10 is getting better and better with each update and I'm starting to use my secondary SP2 more and more but 8.1 will remain on the primary SP2 for the meantime.

The main reason why I'm starting to use Windows 10 on the SP2 more and more is many of the newer apps only run in Windows 10. For example, Netflix has a new Windows 10 version that's really nice. Groove Music app runs better than Xbox Music app for example.

Unfortunately, Windows 8.1 will become the abandoned platform running only legacy apps and games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3