New SP4- Clean Reinstall W10?

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm ordering a new SP4 tomorrow (probably the m3) and was considering doing a clean Windows 10 reinstall from the MS website after I do a quick setup. Not only will I get the latest version, but I wonder if some of the bugs commonly reported might be avoided. Whenever there's an update to our Windows phones I always do a factory (hard) reset afterwards and I've never had any of the problems some people report.

Any pros or cons to this procedure for the SP4?

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm really not sure why you would do that. You will likely get the same result. I would buy it and use it first... the only issues I've really been having are clearly video driver related.

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. It doesn't matter that the surface line has always been fairly bloatfree: A new, clean reinstall can't hurt and you'll be 100% sure that whatever's on there you put there yourself.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I did do a clean install from a Win 10 ISO, but I found that I lost Drawboard PDF (not that I really use it much). I went back and did a reset from the factory image, and then applied all the updates starting from that point.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think you guys are making this way too hard. The Surface default setup is great and bloat free. No need to reinstall it out of the box.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Clean install from the Surface download page helped me. I did it to my 2 SP4s. It could have been a placebo effect, but, I feel like it ran better AFTER the (very long) fresh install vs how it came out of the box. A not so good point is that Candy Crush came installed, but that's OK! Right click, uninstall. Haha.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Clean install from the Surface download page helped me. I did it to my 2 SP4s. It could have been a placebo effect, but, I feel like it ran better AFTER the (very long) fresh install vs how it came out of the box. A not so good point is that Candy Crush came installed, but that's OK! Right click, uninstall. Haha.

Good call on self diagnosing your placebo effect

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi