Any improvements seen with the new display driver released today? (December 2)

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Do we have any patch information?
What does it suppose to fix?
I just installed it and will try it out a bit tomorrow.
i5/8/256

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I understand it's the same as the beta that came out on the 20th, version 4326. So you should have better luck with respect to driver crashing.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Here is more info ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3v6qj8/new_graphics_driver_coming_for_sp4_today/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-update/0f4654c9-4ff0-42da-933f-12fed29c7eb1
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 12/3/2015” or “System Hardware Update – 12/3/2015” within the Windows Update History.

HD Graphics 520 driver update (v20.19.15.4326) improves display stability.
Surface Display Calibration driver update (v1.1.381.0) supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.

Last edited:

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I understand it's the same as the beta that came out on the 20th, version 4326. So you should have better luck with respect to driver crashing.

That's a bummer. I know people still have issues even after the beta driver for the display was installed.

CrownedMartyr

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I've only been using it for about an hour but it seems to have fixed the issue. I tested it on a couple web pages that always made the driver crash before and I haven't had it crash once since the update.

A_Pieman

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had a crash, not that I was getting many. More importantly this website used to trigger very high cpu usage forcing the fan on after about 20 mins of browsing. I have been browsing for about 40 mins and my cpu usage has stayed low.

RichBrown68

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
YouTube videos won't play in Edge without massive distortion, and the Pen has stopped functioning at all. So yeah....not a fan of the update.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
There was a set of updates that was pushed to my i5 8/256 on Thanksgiving morning, which included a firmware update. I haven't seen much written about it, and it didn't fix any problems I was having. But it seems to have really improved my battery life. Over the 1.5 weeks before that I was averaging 5:25 hours according to powercfg /batteryreport, but since Thanksgiving I've averaging about 6:40. Yesterday's update doesn't seem to have had any more effect on battery life when in use, but might have improved standby life. I will have to give that a good test as I have not been using standby much.

Yesterday's update did fix the frequent video driver crashes I was having in Edge. Much better now. Also, I was having a problem that the pen would sometimes stop working for a few seconds, as if the pen driver were crashing and recovering (but no message about it). That is fixed now, too. YouTube is working fine for me.

RichBrown68

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
After my earlier issues with YouTube and the Pen, I unpaired the Pen from Bluetooth then reconnected it. Since then, I've had flawless performance. I can now use Edge with no crashes. All is well with me.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had at least one display driver reset per day since I bought this 3 weeks ago. So far no resets in the last 24 hours.

DuStU

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the i7 model although it is the 540 all my crashing has stopped and I have seen improvement in gaming also. Also the widi has improved and is alot more stable but not perfect especially if you move even slightly it disconnects but that is better than crashing. Hopefully the updates continue on Intels end!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the i7 model although it is the 540 all my crashing has stopped and I have seen improvement in gaming also. Also the widi has improved and is alot more stable but not perfect especially if you move even slightly it disconnects but that is better than crashing. Hopefully the updates continue on Intels end!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

What device are you connecting to? A Microsoft wireless display adapter?

Alot of time when i try to project my sp4 to my MWDA, it tells me "your pc or mobile device doesn't support miracast so it can't project wirelessly" . I get this when I slide out the action center and select project. Restarting the surface pro 4 fixes this.

I have suffered from the disconnects as well. Have not really tried it out with the new update.

A_Pieman

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I spoke too soon about the high cpu usage, it still happens but takes longer (aprox an hour) to kick in. Haven't had a driver crash.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I saw a decrease in standby battery life. Since my device never resets the graphics card, I reverted back to the September driver in an attempt to extend standby time.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I gave the standby life a better test yesterday by setting it to go into standby rather than hibernation when not in use. It was consistently between 23 and 24 hours before the update, and now is 29 hours. So it's a modest improvement, but still not great. On another thread someone was told by a Microsoft rep that they are working on a fix for Standby, but it won't be available until "early 2016." So I'll be sticking with hibernation for the time being.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
after install, took 2 minutes for edge to have the display error, but none after about an hour of browsing.

The battery life still sucks...

notewar

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Im on the edge of returning my surface pro 4 i5. 128GB.

One of the biggest issue that annoys me the most is the 'wake-up from sleep'. Sometimes, more like frequent, the the surface just dont wake-up at all. I have to perform hard-reboot (hold down power and volume button) but as a new device why do I have to tolerate with this? Is there any fix for this? My windows is up to date and i've updated the graphic driver from intel site. I still have 1 more week to decide before I cannot return this to the store.

DuStU

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I am connected to two different devices. The main one I connect to is my PTV3000 which has been flawless with every other device in the house except my surface. (old sony vaio is more stable than this next gen device right now). I also connect to my fire stick tv and get the exact same results. So I know it is an issue with the Intel half baked drivers.

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I saw a decrease in standby battery life. Since my device never resets the graphics card, I reverted back to the September driver in an attempt to extend standby time.

I did that too.
I have now found that with all the updates and the september driver it goes about 11% from the battery for each hour i look at a movie in fullscreen with 50% brightness.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon