1920x1080 Resolution. Can't close apps

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Long story short. When Surface pro resolution is set to 1920x1080, apps don't close when swiping down from the top. It drags the apps to the side and brings up snap view.

This is really annoying. I'm not sure if it's a Windows 10 bug or if it's just me.

The resolution is changed to 1920x1080 so the display fits properly when projected wireless to a tv....

Can anyone else confirm when their resolution is set to 1920x1080, apps can't close?

Same thing happens with 2048x1152 and 2560x1600

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
If I'm in tablet mode with the SP4 (Without the type cover) and extend the displays... How do I control the tv display?? I can't without a mouse....
I'm assuming you would need a mouse (physical or emulated). Otherwise I don't know how you would use the touchscreen of monitor 1 to control monitor 2. There would be no way for windows to identify which monitor your input was meant for at any given time.

Possibly use the multiple desktops feature? No idea if that would work but that would be a great implementation of the ui....

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand well the problem but if I do try to just swipe from the top slightly (as you would for example swipe from the right to bring out the charms bar) and the window should show now an X on the right side to close the window. So is basically an up to down swipe on the top of the screen not a full drag.

Edit: alternatively, swiping from the left to right brings up the task view with all the windows opened side by side and in that view each window has an X to close it. Also, I changed my resolution to 1920x1080 and it seemed to close the apps fine when I dragged them down but I didn't try with a second monitor/tv hooked up.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand well the problem but if I do try to just swipe from the top slightly (as you would for example swipe from the right to bring out the charms bar) and the window should show now an X on the right side to close the window. So is basically an up to down swipe on the top of the screen not a full drag.

Edit: alternatively, swiping from the left to right brings up the task view with all the windows opened side by side and in that view each window has an X to close it. Also, I changed my resolution to 1920x1080 and it seemed to close the apps fine when I dragged them down but I didn't try with a second monitor/tv hooked up.

Here is a video.

http://1drv.ms/1PXa9to

Even if I am not hooked up to external monitor its same problem

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
This is weird, in the same resolution as you I have no problems to close apps by dragging them down or from the task view. From the upper right X sometimes it doesn't register the touch as in your case.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is weird, in the same resolution as you I have no problems to close apps by dragging them down or from the task view. From the upper right X sometimes it doesn't register the touch as in your case.

I have no problem closing in task view either.

However.. I figured it out... For me at least, the technique is different in that resolution to close.

In the normal resolution, i use my finger and drag it all the way down and it closes. In 1920 x1080, the way i need to drag the app down is different. It's more of a flick down than a drag down....

Ugh. But they do close now.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Just curious as to why you're reducing the screen resolution as opposed to increasing the screen DPI? I would recommend leaving the screen resolution at it's default, and increase the screen DPI to 25% or 50% higher than the default (which is 200% I believe).

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just curious as to why you're reducing the screen resolution as opposed to increasing the screen DPI? I would recommend leaving the screen resolution at it's default, and increase the screen DPI to 25% or 50% higher than the default (which is 200% I believe).

The resolution is changed when duplicating the screen to the television. If i leave it at the recommend resolution there are black boxes on the side of the screen (on the tv) .

Therefore, I need to change it to 1920x1080 in order for it to pick up the entire tv.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed.. Not sure which update fixed it but i don't need to change my resolution now.

It shows fine on the tv on 2736x1824

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon