Battery life is poor.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I had the display at half brightness and took it off the charger around 11:30-12 and at 2 AM I had around 56% battery life left. So given if I was doing the same tasks which basically was browsing the Web with some YouTube videos. So given at that rate it would die around the 4 hour mark. Battery life is one factor and it's a big one so I'll be giving it a few more days and if not I guess I'll get the Macbook Pro. Anybody else having poor battery life?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
No... I'm getting good battery life... I mean, it's a full laptop in a tiny form factor and extremely light. You're NEVER going to get MBP battery life. I'm getting 5 hours at 100% CPU speeds with light usage, and about 8 hours when limited to 50% CPU. http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pro-4/403403-2.htm#post3366249

If Battery life is #1 for you, look elsewhere (like a laptop, but to be honest the Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 SE doesn't get better battery life, and a lot of people complain about the Spectre getting about 6 hours, vs the 5 you get on the SP... hmmm). But if portability and weight and size is, then keep it.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
No... I'm getting good battery life... I mean, it's a full laptop in a tiny form factor and extremely light. You're NEVER going to get MBP battery life. I'm getting 5 hours at 100% CPU speeds with light usage, and about 8 hours when limited to 50% CPU. http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pro-4/403403-2.htm#post3366249

If Battery life is #1 for you, look elsewhere (like a laptop, but to be honest the Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 SE doesn't get better battery life, and a lot of people complain about the Spectre getting about 6 hours, vs the 5 you get on the SP... hmmm). But if portability and weight and size is, then keep it.

Oh I don't expect Macbook battery life but I expected something better than 4 hours in general Web browsing. I need this to last 4 hours alone for one class.

As I said this is one day test so just my initial thoughts on the battery life.

Valeri Nikolov

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Try limiting the CPU! I have limited mine to 55%. Today I unplugged the Surface around 10:00. Now it is 14:41 and I have 40% battery left with normal usage (web browsing, music, video streaming). It is a temporary fix, at least until Microsoft comes up with an update to fix the power management of the Surface.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Try limiting the CPU! I have limited mine to 55%. Today I unplugged the Surface around 10:00. Now it is 14:41 and I have 40% battery left with normal usage (web browsing, music, video streaming). It is a temporary fix, at least until Microsoft comes up with an update to fix the power management of the Surface.

I decided to exchange it for a Macbook Pro. Battery life is the most important thing for me and the pen wasn't one of the reasons why I bought the device. Maybe I'll look into it again when battery tech improves or perhaps software improves in the 6 or 7

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
hope I'm not there with you in a few because I love the device when it works. An advertised battery life of 9 hours and actual being not even half is absurd and should be a crime!!

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
hope I'm not there with you in a few because I love the device when it works. An advertised battery life of 9 hours and actual being not even half is absurd and should be a crime!!

From reviews I read most of them getting around 7. For me that would of been fine but based off my usage it was going to be around 4.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Check which apps are running in background, disable them
Brightness settings
Location settings if they are there
Bluetooth off
Which programs are running on schedule like anti virus programs

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Check which apps are running in background, disable them
Brightness settings
Location settings if they are there
Bluetooth off
Which programs are running on schedule like anti virus programs

I had only wifi on and brightness around 50%. Ran AVG anti virus and edge browser mostly....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital