Surface Pro 4 not connecting to 5 ghz networks

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else seeing this issue with their SP4?

All other devices I have work fine, only the SP4 stopped working with it I installed a Asus router, set it up and everything was fine. Turned off the SP4 and when i started the SP4 the next day the 5g network could not be accessed.

all updates are applied to the SP4 and router and the Surface works with any other wifi network jjst not the 5ghz...

very frustrating. I have restarted the SP4 and removed the networks and tried to reconnect opened the network too and nothing works but did yesterday have not restarted the router bit doing that now will see what happens

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Update

after rebooting the router I was able to connect to the 5 ghz network not going to say its fixed until i have a few days of solid connectivity as I had similar issues with the latest linksys router which I could not get resolved. reboots etc... could not get the SP4 to stay connected to any wifi network that is why I purchased the Rt-ac88u which seems to be a great router lets see how the rest of the week goes

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had no issues with using a 5GHz network, at home anyway. I'm using an old Linksys E3000 router, N is on 5, G is on 2.4.

Last edited:

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
So Far since the router reboot the SP4 is working with the wifi 5g network. did not use the surface yesterday and left it hooked to the dock. grabbed it and pushed the power button to take it out of hibernation and it connected to the 5 G without issue. there is a lot of disk activity which seems to be coming from updates/sync for email, the store, and backup to my one drive. that is draining the power pretty fast

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
How far is your SP4 from the router?

The main advantage of the 5 GHz band is less interference since everything else is most likely at the 2.4 GHz band (other WiFi, microwaves, cordless phones, etc.). Interference = noise = reduced network performance. However, the 5 GHz band falls off at much shorter distances than 2.4 GHz does. Also, 5 GHz does not penetrate walls as well as 2.4 GHz. So some devices with better transmitters/receivers may be better at longer distances than other devices with poorer radios. I don't use 5 GHz in my house (4000 sq ft with lots of walls) for that reason. 2.4 GHz travels much better in my house.

A trick you can do if it is distance or walls are causing problems with weaker radios is to add an access point to your router so that you have strong signals in distant parts of the house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos