Apple's answer to the Surface Studio?

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
You wouldnt, they have a key when pressed immediately shows the function keys. Its also customisable so you can drag and drop what you like. Imagine using Word and you have the formatting options or something else normally buried in a menu, it will save time without taking hands off to grab mouse, move it, click, click, click, anger as its not there anyway, click, click, done, back to Keyboard. I Touch type and its easy if you have the muscle memory. I look forward to seeing it in action by people other than Apple.

If you're using the mouse to italicize, underline, copy, paste, etc., then you're not the most productive person on earth. I barely use the mouse when I'm in Excel.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're using the mouse to italicize, underline, copy, paste, etc., then you're not the most productive person on earth. I barely use the mouse when I'm in Excel.

Probably true, although I managed to set up 2 companies and sell one using my workflow, I guess your one of the few that doesn't use the mouse how about the myriad of options in sat Photoshop, watch the launch, i was sceptical prior to the launch, convert after.

Back on topic this is an interesting article.. Mac v PC - who's cooler now? - BBC News

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Probably true, although I managed to set up 2 companies and sell one using my workflow, I guess your one of the few that doesn't use the mouse how about the myriad of options in sat Photoshop, watch the launch, i was sceptical prior to the launch, convert after.

Back on topic this is an interesting article.. Mac v PC - who's cooler now? - BBC News

Thanks for sharing the link.

I think the dial makes more sense to me than the touch bar. Sliders on the touch bar is limited due to its real estate, while the Surface Dial can be infinite. The dial also won't take my eyes away from the screen as it operates much simpler (click, rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise). Surface Dial on my left hand, pen on my right and reposition the tools to the right so my index finger has quick access without putting the pen down.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing the link.

I think the dial makes more sense to me than the touch bar. Sliders on the touch bar is limited due to its real estate, while the Surface Dial can be infinite. The dial also won't take my eyes away from the screen as it operates much simpler (click, rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise). Surface Dial on my left hand, pen on my right and reposition the tools to the right so my index finger has quick access without putting the pen down.

I like the dial, id go as far to say i love the idea of it. However it allows clicking and scrolling and taking hand off the keyboard. Ive thought about this a bit more and think that something like the Touch bar that raises itself to 45 degrees when laptop is open and sinks down flush when closed would be even better, come on MS, beat them at their own game!

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Apples answer to MS studio is to remake the originally implemented idea by Lenovo i.e., adaptive keyboard that changes with apps on ThinkPad X1 Carbon (2nd Gen) and say so-called revolutionizes the keyboard experience :(

BTW Lenovo thinkpad had similar functionalities although not to the extent of Apple's implementation.

Sure the touch bar is more versatile in that it can adapt to a wider range of things and can work with a greater number of apps, but the Dial is cooler and much more creative.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Apple can. They have repeatedly refused to merge the two OSs, and now they are writing themselves into a corner while Microsoft proves the utility of 2-in-1s. I feel like Apple couldn't pull off such an undertaking anymore no matter how much they wanted to. it would actually require the iOS and macOS divisions to actually COMMUNICATE.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Apples answer to MS studio is to remake the originally implemented idea by Lenovo i.e., adaptive keyboard that changes with apps on ThinkPad X1 Carbon (2nd Gen) and say so-called revolutionizes the keyboard experience :(

BTW Lenovo thinkpad had similar functionalities although not to the extent of Apple's implementation.

Sure the touch bar is more versatile in that it can adapt to a wider range of things and can work with a greater number of apps, but the Dial is cooler and much more creative.

They are working with LG, I think. LG released a monitor for them. And maybe they saw the LG V Series.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Considering Apple is mostly an iPhone business, they are content to nicely iterate the Mac line as is. No need for any 'disruptive' changes. Of course to a real pro, a lack of USB-A/Ethernet/SDXC ports would be quite DISRUPTIVE.

Just like Charlie Sheen, Apple is winning!

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if apple will bring the touchbar to the ipad pro keyboard. Especially seeing how they can point to it as an upgrade and simultaneously avoid adding in a touchpad then. As silly as it sounds, I am sure we will read how "this changes everything."

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if apple will bring the touchbar to the ipad pro keyboard. Especially seeing how they can point to it as an upgrade and simultaneously avoid adding in a touchpad then. As silly as it sounds, I am sure we will read how "this changes everything."

I honestly doubt it. I think it will be pretty much hated for being a UI nightmare for touch typists - and even partial typist like me (I do look down, but only to calibrate my typing as I do have some muscle memory). There is no tactile feedback to make sure you're positioned over the button correctly, and the strip may be in a different mode than what you were expecting leading to accidental commands.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Apple will continue the innovation of removing ports like SD card readers and headphone jacks to simplify life for us. Then they will backfill by selling you cables and adapters because reality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon