How to watch Microsoft announce the next Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Commercial devices only? I was really looking forward to upgrading my SP6 to SP10, but clearly Microsoft doesn't care about consumers anymore. Why release the consumer version later with the same name but potentially different design? They need to remember that consumers ARE commercial workers, this is why Apple does well because they know how to market to both at the same time. I'm gonna have to start looking for alternatives, Surface isn't the same brand anymore and further reason why Panos jumped ship. Customers will jump ship too with Microsoft's incompetence. It just sucks because they have great hardware design, they just suck at marketing and selling.

Last edited:

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"Commercial devices only?" Because Microsoft is - and always has been - focused on business users. Corporations. OF COURSE the business products are going to be first in line.

"This is why Apple does well because they know how to market to both at the same time. " And Microsoft is NOT doing well?

Also, Apple has no business-specific products. Apple is a consumer-focused company. Apple markets nothing to businesses. Both are doing well, focusing on their respective core markets.

"They need to remember that consumers ARE commercial workers". Yes, they know this. They also realize that the last thing most office workers want to do is go home and continue to use a Windows PC. Most consumers have moved on to much easier to use things, like phones and iPads.

18 wheel truck drivers are consumers too. Do you think they take the kids to school in the Kenworth truck? Or do they have a Toyota at home for personal use?

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Also, Apple has no business-specific products.
Which exactly was my point that you clearly missed. Apple actually does great in the commercial space in addition to the consumer space, because as Satya once said "We want users to WANT to use Windows and our devices, not just have to use them", which is exactly what Apple has nailed. Businesses consist of consumers, and the best way to win in BOTH the consumer and commercial space is to win over consumers who then request their workplaces to get those very devices they love. At my workplace for example, they offer both Macs and commercial Windows PCs, and most workers pick the Macs because the commercial PCs are low-specs and bulky and slow, whereas the Macs run smoothly and most of the Microsoft-specific stuff is on the web anyway. Same with apps (e.g. Slack), MS were leaders in this space before, but lots of competitors have come into the game as consumer-commercial mixed apps, and again taking marketshare away from Microsoft. There was a time when Microsoft actually did market to consumers well, which is exactly why they dominated many corporations. They don't now as much as you think they do.

svengollie

Mar 1, 2024
Visit site
Commercial devices only? I was really looking forward to upgrading my SP6 to SP10, but clearly Microsoft doesn't care about consumers anymore. Why release the consumer version later with the same name but potentially different design? They need to remember that consumers ARE commercial workers, this is why Apple does well because they know how to market to both at the same time. I'm gonna have to start looking for alternatives, Surface isn't the same brand anymore and further reason why Panos jumped ship. Customers will jump ship too with Microsoft's incompetence. It just sucks because they have great hardware design, they just suck at marketing and selling.
Sure Apple does well, like people in Arkansas need to be beconvinced to wear a Red hat, its built in. Apple ites....tip over for the fruit marketing company. Its not for me personally for many reason both B2B tech work experience and geographical loyalty, yes big rich company, but look at rhe Camry, its very "popular" and void of driving experience but sells well and most toyota vehicle are made for the soulless....Microsoft people are in general so much more enjoyable to do business with, Panos was generally hated for lying to the team and having another design done at Pegatron, that is the single tipping point thst caused Marty to leave and recruit dozens and dozens of great HW engineers to Meta.

Sean Endicott

Staff member
Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft can't release a laptop with a Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite before Qualcomm launches that processor. The next Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 has what is arguably the most exciting processor in the Windows space for years. Microsoft needs to wait a few months to be able to ship PCs with those CPUs.

Panay did a lot of things, but I honestly think his vision finished its course.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"Which exactly was my point that you clearly missed. Apple actually does great in the commercial space in addition to the consumer space, because as Satya once said "We want users to WANT to use Windows and our devices, not just have to use them", which is exactly what Apple has nailed. Businesses consist of consumers, and the best way to win in BOTH the consumer and commercial space is to win over consumers who then request their workplaces to get those very devices they love. "

But it's too late for that. People ARE forced to use Windows PCs at work, and have been for decades.

Besides, none of this matters, which is the point that you missed. Microsoft has never been stronger than right now. Even though consumers are generally not interested in MS (because MS has no consumer products) and MS is generally not interested in consumers (which is why they have no consumer products), MS is The World's Most Valuable Company.

This is easy math to do. It is not a coincidence that MS has thrived ever since killing all of their money-losing consumer products. Windows phones, music streaming, MP3 players, dual screen Android phones, etc. All were losing boatloads of money. You don't become The World's Most Valuable Company by losing billions on products that are not selling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria