Is the Surface keyboard backlit?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
It would be nice if the keys were backlit, but I believe they are not. I have looked for illuminated wireless keyboards in the past, and they are hen's-teeth scarce -- probably because of potential battery impact. I did find one or two, as I recall, but didn't like the design or the price. It would be great if a reliable and attractive version could be made.

Even with a desktop installation you don't always want the room lights on, and screen illumination is subpar for most keyboards I have tried to use in that situation.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Let me breathe new life back into an asked and answered question by posing a related one: Is the Ergonomic Surface Keyboard also backlit?

I suspect not, because any spec sheet I have found does not mention illumination as a feature. But if it should prove to be lighted, so much the better.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I was at the MS store again, and it doesn't have backlit. The brightness buttons on it are for on screen brightness. I asked a salesperson too, and she said it doesn't have backlit.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I was at the MS store again, and it doesn't have backlit. The brightness buttons on it are for on screen brightness. I asked a salesperson too, and she said it doesn't have backlit.

Doh! The spec sheet doesn't mention backlit keys so that's what I thought. I don't know if this is a dealbreaker for me. At night my home office is in darkness except for the display and I do use the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Shame because they definitely said that it was and I ordered it smh.
YMbmUCj.jpg

W5PdRHw.jpg

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My surface keyboard came in the mail. Although Microsoft said it was backlit in the fact sheet and to me online it is indeed not backlit.

Chris, what keyboard were you using before? I'm trying to find a good keyboard to use while my surface pro is closed, connected to monitor. I really would prefer a Bluetooth one (without the dongle)

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Chris, what keyboard were you using before? I'm trying to find a good keyboard to use while my surface pro is closed, connected to monitor. I really would prefer a Bluetooth one (without the dongle)
I was using the Logitech k810. It doesn't have a number pad but I liked it much better than the surface keyboard. The surface keyboard has the perfect layout but the lack of backlight is pretty much killing it for me. Trying to get used to it but I'm ready to return it already.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
For those few who may be wondering, the Surface ergo keyboard is also non-backlit -- but the spec sheet never said anything different, so there was less chance of uncertainty.

I like the ergo keyboard, which UPS delivered on release day last week, but for the moment I have gone back to using a Microsoft 2000 keyboard, a basic wireless unit that has been good enough. I like the key travel of the ergo unit, which is certainly attractive, but I need to retrain some forefinger movements to use it accurately at any great speed. I'm rebuilding my desktop environment in another month, so I will put it back in use at that time and just use it until I get comfortable with it.

Just to mention, the slightly curved Microsoft Comfort Keyboard 5000 is a easy-to-use quasi-ergonomic keyboard that utilizes a curved unified key field as opposed to the divided key field of the new Surface ergonomic keyboard. These are all full-size keyboards (I use the number pad), and the ones without strictly rectangular keyfield layouts are larger yet. They are big, and they eat up a lot of desktop if you don't have a separate keyboard tray or L-return on your desk. Neither the 2000 nor the 5000 has backlit or illuminated keys. Choices!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte