Should you use a screen protector on a Surface Pro?

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I should so a commercial for them, I think that sounded more of an advertisement than a suggestion. Haha
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
dust wont scratch gorilla glass... few things would infact.

On the other hand, may things would scratch the far softer screen protectors.

That's a lie. Did you not read my post above. New surface pro scratched by the stylus. Gorilla glass is a myth to me it still get scratches. It still gets damaged but no one notices because they think its magic.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a lie. Did you not read my post above. New surface pro scratched by the stylus. Gorilla glass is a myth to me it still get scratches. It still gets damaged but no one notices because they think its magic.

well... I can promise you that gorilla glass is not a "myth". As for how you may have scratched your device, that is hard to say, but forgive me if I have doubts that it was due to the stylus.

you could literally take a steel knife to a piece of gorilla glass and not scratch it.

sand is the devil however, quartz is capable of scratching gorilla glass. Infact the only things your likely to encounter would be sand, emory boards, and hardened tools (well made pocket knives can be a threat). Should also keep diamond rings/bracelets, ect off the surface.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt gorilla glass is very strong but it can still get scratched. Mine did. And I'd want to protect it not risk it.

techmoe

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I installed the Zagg Invisible Shield on my Pro. Been using their protectors for a few years now and by far the best customer service and easiest installation. They're a bit more pricey and not as smooth to the touch as some of the hard plastic ones, but you get no bubbles with Zagg!

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
lots of good information, opinions and life-lessons here guys - thanks!

I've always used screen protectors on my phones - well always since I scratched a few of them badly. The technology has improved as much as the screens and the glass they ar emade of so if you have a long-standing rule of going bareback you might want to reconsider as many of the drawbacks of yesteryear are gone.

For perspective, the air in an ordinary house has over a million particles per cubic meter, all. Falling down to settle on your precious screen. A fair number of them are silicon, quartz, glass etc and they CAN scratch your screen. You'll know this isn't possible when every "Gorilla Glass IV" equipped phone comes with a free lifetime replacement warrantee at Corning's expense. Untill then, scratches can and will happen. This is a greater risk when using a stylus as the pressures it can exert on the screen are formidable. So scratches are always a possibility. Whether you choose to protect against a given risk is a matter of taste. Some people go a lifetime without using a condom. Others never go out without one. Choose your risks carefully ��

So FYI I decided to buy an Incipio cover and I have to admit its initial impression is excellent. It actually does go on very easily, as long as you are maniacal about cleaning every single dust speck away. I started with a cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and a tissue to get off as much surface oil as possible. Two cleanings took all of 90 seconds. Next I used the included microfiber cloth, then went over it with a magnifying glass - ok I just looked at it really closely and used a can of air to blow away any I saw. Then following the instructions, this was the first screen protector that really did go on as easily and bubble free as the video on Youtube (of an incipio protector on an iPad - grrr) showed. Five minutes later, no misalignment issues, no dust under Theo protector, and no bubbles. Simple, quick and easy! The stylus works fine with no detectable drag. In this regard alone it is superior to the Zagg protectors I love for my phone. So for me, the Incipio was the way to go. Your mileage may vary ��

Quixoteloco

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Do you use a type cover? Mine had a little imprefection on the type cover and it created a small scratch on the screen. It appears as a small pointed dot, maybe something like a grain of sand got embedded in the cover where you rest your palm and since the cover moves when closed, I am assuming it created a vertical scratch on the surface screen. I use the pen all the time and there are no scratches from it so far.

I never had a protector on my RT and I didn't have one scratch, not even a tiny hairline scratch so I started to dismiss this thread and then I noticed a tiny hairline scratch on my two day old Pro!

Must have been caused by the stylus/pen so I improvised and cut an android tablet protector to cover the display.

I'm really annoyed that I managed to get hairline scratches using the pen that came with the Pro as I am a perfectionist.

hily xiong

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello ,eveyone , my name is Hily ,and we are a manufacture of screen protectors in shenzhen ,china , pls check my website :Shenzhen King Hall Technology Co., Ltd. - screen protectors,Anti Glare screen protectors,Mirror screen protector
we do this business more than 5 years , and sale in all world , such as Griffin ,X-Doria ,Hama ,ROCK ,Deppa .Iskin
so if u have a phone or need wholesale screen protectorpls check my website and contact with me , i will give a best price for high quality .

Marc P1

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Mine (surface pro) was scratched in the last two weeks. :unhappysweat:. I thought it have gorilla glass but now has it ??? Guys, where did you see that Surface has gorilla glass?? I did a quick search in the specs but did not see it. For my scracht it's is a tiny half a inch long, very slight and visible only with a specific angle with reflecting light to show it. I suspect that it is my
optical glasses that I did very gently "drop" on my tablet which was on my night table..

What is the best screen protector I could buy ????

Thank you

Marc

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Scratches on my screen annoy me to no end, and I normally like to sell whatever device I purchased when I buy a new one. I use a screen protector on my Surface Pro and advise anyone else to do so too. Its 5 dollars that could keep an extra 75 in value in your device, I've had no trouble with the pen or touch screen and it keeps my disdain for scratches away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon