17" Surface Pro?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
And another reason why I prefer a laptop for my desktop needs is because I live in apartment. I don't have an extra room I can turn into an office. That would cost more in rent. With a laptop I can move around to any room: bedroom, living room, kitchen table. You get the point.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The new model will be the 7.5" Surface Pro coupled with Touch Screen monitor and Qwerty that may or may not have batteries. It's not here yet but a 7.5" Surface Pro will scale up to a 27" touchscreen monitor nicely.

Next year it will be early adopter price gouging but prices will come down. Otherwise the XPS 18 looks like the winner. The Lenovo 14" Travel monitor (touchscreen with kickstand) for devices is also a winner in my book. $450 for the 10-hour battery version at 1.5 lbs.

Make that in a foldable 17 " and we have a deal!.

Lenovo announces the ThinkVision LT1423p, a mobile touchscreen monitor with pen support (video)

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the closest thing to what you are looking for that I have heard about is panasonic's 20inch tablet with 4k resolution. Though I suspect that the price will be astronomical until the price of 4k resolution tech comes down. Otherwise it seems like it would fit your usage needs fairly well.

Panasonic 20-inch 4K Windows 8 Tablet hands-on - SlashGear

WOW! That's real nice! That's the type of trend Id like to see with larger screens! But with cheaper options. Im not ready to dish out an arm and a leg. I already do that for gas.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The new model will be the 7.5" Surface Pro coupled with Touch Screen monitor and Qwerty that may or may not have batteries. It's not here yet but a 7.5" Surface Pro will scale up to a 27" touchscreen monitor nicely.

Next year it will be early adopter price gouging but prices will come down. Otherwise the XPS 18 looks like the winner. The Lenovo 14" Travel monitor (touchscreen with kickstand) for devices is also a winner in my book. $450 for the 10-hour battery version at 1.5 lbs.

Make that in a foldable 17 " and we have a deal!.

Lenovo announces the ThinkVision LT1423p, a mobile touchscreen monitor with pen support (video)
That's great news as far as innovation goes. But I don't think an external monitor is the solution in looking for.

Marijn de Graaf

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I want a 17 inch tablet too. I want it to replace my laptop. I need a big screen for multitasking, and 17 inch is the biggest to still fit in my bag. I don't really care about the weight because it will lie on a table most of the time anyway. It needs a battery so I can use it both at home and at my university. I don't have access to power everywhere at my university. I will use it in the bus also. 17 inch is the largest that I still find acceptable in the bus. I want my laptop replacement to have a touch screen because it is more efficient than a mouse. A 17 inch laptop with a touch screen doesn't cut it, because I don't want gorilla arms, and touch screens are just easiers to interact with when they lie down.

15 inch is the smallest I will accept. my current laptop is 15.2 inch and I find it too small. I'm considering to buy an XPS 18, but I find it slightly to large. I would need to buy a bigger bag and it would be quite awkward to use on the bus. there is a reason why desktop replacement laptops are generally no lager than 17 inch. I might also consider a 17 inch touch laptop.

I think there's a lot more people like me who want to replace their laptops with a big tablet for multitasking. Unfortunately manufacturers haven't discovered this yet.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I want a 17 inch tablet too. I want it to replace my laptop. I need a big screen for multitasking, and 17 inch is the biggest to still fit in my bag. I don't really care about the weight because it will lie on a table most of the time anyway. It needs a battery so I can use it both at home and at my university. I don't have access to power everywhere at my university. I will use it in the bus also. 17 inch is the largest that I still find acceptable in the bus. I want my laptop replacement to have a touch screen because it is more efficient than a mouse. A 17 inch laptop with a touch screen doesn't cut it, because I don't want gorilla arms, and touch screens are just easiers to interact with when they lie down.

15 inch is the smallest I will accept. my current laptop is 15.2 inch and I find it too small. I'm considering to buy an XPS 18, but I find it slightly to large. I would need to buy a bigger bag and it would be quite awkward to use on the bus. there is a reason why desktop replacement laptops are generally no lager than 17 inch. I might also consider a 17 inch touch laptop.

I think there's a lot more people like me who want to replace their laptops with a big tablet for multitasking. Unfortunately manufacturers haven't discovered this yet.

Yeah, I don't think XPS 18 is what you're looking for. I think that machine is made more for the home in mind and not to and from school.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
But it won't be used as a tablet primarily. I want it as a desktop, like I use my laptop. But with the ability to travel with if I choose to. I used to travel with my 17" VAIO when I would be out the country for several months at a time. Last year I spent 6 months in Asia. Essentially, a home away from home. So I'm sure a Surface 17" would be so much more lighter than traveling with any other 17" laptop currently in the market. But if you've never traveled with anything larger than a 15" laptop, I'm sure a 17" sounds intimidating.

Well at 5+lbs and 17"... Im not sure you'll be able to use it as a tablet at all...

but there are plenty of 17" touchscreen laptops.

Otherwise, for desktop use, an external monitor would be prudent. Id throw in a wireless keyboard and mouse as well.

There are some 3rd party devices that do some creative solutions off the USB 3.0 with 1 cord.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Well at 5+lbs and 17"... Im not sure you'll be able to use it as a tablet at all...

but there are plenty of 17" touchscreen laptops.

Otherwise, for desktop use, an external monitor would be prudent. Id throw in a wireless keyboard and mouse as well.

There are some 3rd party devices that do some creative solutions off the USB 3.0 with 1 cord.

I think you're thinking in terms of the more popular 10" and smaller tablet, that you can hold in your hands for long periods of time. And you're exactly correct to point to a 17" laptop, as that is the solution I have been accustomed to for years now. I'm looking at this as a laptop/desktop replacement, not a 10" Surface/iPad replacement. Its going to be used exactly like how I use my 17" laptop (moved from room to room), except it will be so much lighter and thinner than any 17" laptop available today. I don't always want to use my 10" Surface. Most times, I just want a larger screen, without having to use up both devices (the tablet and the external monitor). I'm not the only person living in this household.

Marijn de Graaf

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't care what they had in mind when they made it. If anything is clear, it is that manufacturers don't have the slightest clue what people want. The XPS 18 would be perfect for my purposes if it were an inch smaller. It has a big, full HD screen, fast hardware and sufficient battery life for me, and though 18 inch is a little to big for me, I could still carry it along in a bigger bag, for lack of a big tablet than would fit in a normal bag.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't care what they had in mind when they made it. If anything is clear, it is that manufacturers don't have the slightest clue what people want. The XPS 18 would be perfect for my purposes if it were an inch smaller. It has a big, full HD screen, fast hardware and sufficient battery life for me, and though 18 inch is a little to big for me, I could still carry it along in a bigger bag, for lack of a big tablet than would fit in a normal bag.

If it works for you, then go for it. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon