How To: Optimize Microsoft Surface Pro Battery Life

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a Pro 2 now, but I was consistently getting 6+ hours. Now, it DOES depend on what you're doing. You can't, for example, edit video or watch movies or play high end games and expect to get 6+ hours of battery. But for writing in Word, checking email, light web browsing, writing notes in OneNote, that sort of thing--easy 6 hours, and sometimes more.

On Pro 2, using these settings has so far gotten me around 9 hours of actual usage. Again, doing heavier work changes that, so you do need to take that into account. Demanding tasks are called such for a reason, after all :).

Wow that's crazy....at school I usually just use my Pro 2 for OneNote, Word and general internet browsing and according to the battery report I'm averaging 4:30-5 hours of usage

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I've updated the article. Over the past few months of using the Surface Pro, I've managed to get more aggressive with the settings and eek out a consistent 6-7 hours of battery life, with an ultimate record of just over 8 hours. Settings should work just as well on Pro 2 to get even better battery life.

I lean toward Hibernation optimization rather than sleep, however. IMHO, the 4-5 seconds of resume time is more than worth the savings you get in battery life. Sleep is faster to wake up, obviously, but it's just not battery friendly.

Nice tips! Thanks OP for sharing

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
another thing you can do is turn off Bluetooth. I tuirn off Bluetooth on all my devices until I absolutely need them. also, if you have an older Bluetooth peripheral that doesn't support Bluetooth LE, it will suck battery fast.

anon(5348220)

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Just did some battery tests on Surface Pro 3 Core i3 at 70% brightness and flight mode (WiFi, BT off) and indeed makes quite a difference:

Video player MP4 1080p: 7 hours 42 min
+ flight mode: 9 hours 5 min

These are not 100% accurate since just took the difference in % after 1 hour only.
Also I noticed classic media player (desktop) lasted only 5 hours and 33 min. So seems that the standard video player app is quite efficient. So I can see in desktop only mode 4-5 hours is not that uncommon with default settings (except with WiFi/BT turned off or maybe some gain with capping CPU). I use hibernate since drain in sleep mode is bit much I think and personally don't really need anything from connected standby.

Also interesting is the effect of the display (again could be some rounding error as I just measured 1 hour):

Reader app with 70% brightness: 9h 5 min
Reader app with 20% brightness: 12h 30 min

Royped

May 15, 2013
Visit site
i bought Surface Pro 4 months ago for 299€ and i sow just now this topic, i created a new power profile with this very good tips!!

Anyone else not seeing the processer power management CPU max and min settings?

this reply it's very old but i resolve this issue disabling hyper-V!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes