external optical drive?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Anybody been able to get DVD's to play on an external optical drive? Any of the apps in the store work? I would think this Pro version of the Surface would support it, if at least in desktop mode.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, thanks, but you're running newer hardware, RT at that. I can't believe that my original Surface Pro is not compatible with an external optical drive. Maybe it's just this drive.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The drive works, but you need to purchase the codecs. I suggest doing the $9.99 media center pack that comes with DVD playback capabilities.

Add features to Windows 8.1 Pro *

Add Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows 8.1

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.1 and then do one of the following:
• If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.
Follow the steps to purchase and enter a product key.
• If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.
4. Enter your product key and click Next.
5. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

If you were running Windows 8.1, your PC will restart automatically and Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center will be available for use.
If you were running Windows 8.1 Pro, your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

I work at Geek Squad and I get people coming in every day asking the same thing.

Microsoft will agree with my suggestion. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/dvd-playback-help

gangolfus

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe that my original Surface Pro is not compatible with an external optical drive.

I am absolutely certain this unequivocally cannot be true. There is something wrong with your particular setup. It could be drive related, it could be driver related, it could be application related, but I assure you it is possible to hook up an optical drive to an original Surface Pro.

-Does the drive work on another computer?
-When you plug the drive in, do you see it under "This PC" with a drive letter?
-If so, are you able to access a non-dvd video disk?
-What is the model number of the device?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am absolutely certain this unequivocally cannot be true. There is something wrong with your particular setup. It could be drive related, it could be driver related, it could be application related, but I assure you it is possible to hook up an optical drive to an original Surface Pro.

-Does the drive work on another computer?
-When you plug the drive in, do you see it under "This PC" with a drive letter?
-If so, are you able to access a non-dvd video disk?
-What is the model number of the device?

I'm not convinced it is not compatible. Yes the drive is seen under My Computer, but it does not recognize a DVD movie in the drive. I haven't tried berty's suggestion yet. I figured the Surface would play a movie natively, but I guess it needs a program/application to play said movie.

Edit 1. Well I downloaded the Media Center pack, have the Media Center downloaded and installed, but the MC is saying it cannot detect a DVD. I've tried 2 different DVD's and nothing. Guess I'll keep trying DVD's.

Edit 2. OK, I made a stupid mistake. The optical drive I purchased is only a CD drive, hence the reason DVD's are not being recognized. Now the hunt for a DVD/Blu Ray external optical drive.

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Found a DVD drive, but the Surface only intermittently recognizes the drive. Surface never recognizes there is a DVD in it. Is it possible there is a corrupt file on the Surface?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, sorry for the late reply. I solved the issue.

First I had plugged both the disc drive power cord and a/v usb cord into a usb tree and had plugged the tree into the usb port on the Surface.

Today I noticed the usb port on the Surface's power cord brick. I knew it was there, just had forgotten about it. So I plugged the disc drive power cord into the Surface's usb port on the brick and plugged the a/v usb cord into the Surface's usb port. Worked perfect.

Kinda conveluted mix of cords, but if you need to install legacy software, it works!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk