Anyone having the same problem with Surface RT? [Video]

ThempuS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Please if anyone could check this video and let me know if you have the same problem, that would be great.

The support team said that it was a normal problem with the tablet, and they wouldn't replace mine.

I wrote on Microsoft forum in detail on this link Touch screen not registering vertical dragging properly - Microsoft Community

It's difficult to believe that this could be the case with so many devices having perfect touch screens these days. If that is the case, I will try to return mine and wait for the Surface Pro.

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I get jagged diagonals in paint if I move my finger very slowly in paint. Moving it a bit faster, I can get perfectly straight diagonal lines. Hopefully, that is indicative of something that can be fixed with a software patch, rather than a hardware issue.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both tried to duplicate this and didn't see the same problem. We have not used that particular app that much. I ask my nine year old and he said "who cares if its squiggly".

ThempuS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to reproduce this in Microsoft Paint. Does the same thing happen for u in Paint?
I can reproduce that in OneNote, MS Paint, Fresh Paint, IE 10 and any vertically scrollable list. It's a really minor problem, but that will affect all the time. I totally agree that it could be fixed with a firmware update, but if we don't contact microsoft support, it won't happen any time soon. Specially when the support team confirmed the issue on all devices.

ThempuS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both tried to duplicate this and didn't see the same problem. We have not used that particular app that much. I ask my nine year old and he said "who cares if its squiggly".

Don't get me wrong, I think the Surface is the first real Tablet out there, I'm just trying to give good feedback to polish this product. This is not limited to only one software, I just used that software to demonstrate the problem. It's good that you can live with that touch experience, I really can't, I prefer wait for Surface Pro and hope that they fix it by there.

Anyway thanks all for the tests!

neonstar

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I can reproduce the same effect when I draw a line very slowly. But when move little bit faster, I can make a straight line. It's somewhat weird, but I think it's not a problem for me.

ThempuS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No problem here, either in OneNote or paint. Things get a tiny bit wobbly at slow speeds, but that's entirely acceptable.

Thanks for testing. It is acceptable for most people but I can still see the problem on your image. I did my tests in a way that make it more noticeable (slow and on an specific angle).
Can you confirm the problem on the IE 10 test too? You can find it on the end of the video, it shows how it keeps jumping up and down when you hold your finger in one position.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see my results as being as severe as yours appear to be. I did try the scrolling in IE and only managed to reproduce the issue if I rocked my fingertip slightly. Have you tried asking someone else to reproduce the result on your own tablet? You may have super-static fingers or something.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I can almost reproduce it using that same app you're using if I were to drag my finger in a diagonal slowly as you did. However, it improves to pretty much straight if I move more quickly in a diagonal. Not sure about any other app.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
That is normal behavior on tablets like the Surface. You'll need a tablet that has something like a Wacom digitizer if you need to draw perfectly straight diagonal lines.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
That is normal behavior on tablets like the Surface. You'll need a tablet that has something like a Wacom digitizer if you need to draw perfectly straight diagonal lines.

Agreed. I tried in on my iPad using Notability and UPad and it does the same thing. It's better with a thinner line too.

ThempuS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I can almost reproduce it using that same app you're using if I were to drag my finger in a diagonal slowly as you did. However, it improves to pretty much straight if I move more quickly in a diagonal. Not sure about any other app.

I tried on 5 apps, and again, it's not only related to drawing apps, if you scroll vertically on any app you can see the same problem. Horizontal is perfect though.

ThempuS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Tablets like surface you mean, only one tablet and that one being Surface RT? You don't need wacom digitizer to make a straight diagonal line, it is possible with many other surface competitors and smartphones.

ThempuS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I tried in on my iPad using Notability and UPad and it does the same thing. It's better with a thinner line too.

First I just want to point that surface is my preferred tablet, for me it is the first real tablet out there, but as a developer I have all generations of iPads available at work, 1 2 3 4 and mini, none has this problem. Not even WP7 touch screens.

It's not about surface being better than iPad, it's about supporting the product, and giving feedback to microsoft so they can make it a better product. I'm confident that this is just a firmware update to fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon