RT tablet not favorable at CES

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I dont see what's so hard to understand the difference between Windows RT and Pro. It's been explained many many times and reading articles like this rubs me the wrong way. The RT version is like any other tablet on the market...it can only run applications purchased from its respective stores. iOS and Driod dont even have a desktop feature, but reviewers keep bashing RT for having a limited desktop that runs Home/Student version of Office. This alone places the RT device above any iOS or Driod tablets, but for some reason everyone wants to bash it.

Yes, yes, we all know that the MS Store does not have the same amount of apps as droid or iOS, but did these two stores have tons of apps when they first went live? I dont think so.

It seems to me that people dont want or wont allow Windows RT or any Windows to succeed...only their precious driod or iOS devices.

People need to realize that Windows 8 and any Windows devices are not going anywhere.

Last edited:

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
"It's like Windows 8, except it won't run desktop apps, and, oh yeah, the Windows 8 apps in the Windows Store aren't all that good," isn't exactly a killer pitch.

Even as early as we are in the life of the Windows Store, there are already some gems that you cannot find competitors of in any other app store...and how many more complex applications are most likely still in the oven and yet to be revealed?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
There is a clear distinction between iOS and OS X. The problem is consumers don't see that because of how little Mac OS X devices are in the hands of consumers. We all grew up with PC's and Windows (DOS for me), so when you label something as Windows, you expect it to run Windows programs. So trying to explain to a non-technical person that it's Windows, but it's not the Windows you are thinking of, is difficult.

IMO, the whole Windows 8 thing is a mess. It's great on my Lumia 920, but not cut out for a laptop/desktop. It's OK for a tablet, minus the desktop.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
There is a clear distinction between iOS and OS X. The problem is consumers don't see that because of how little Mac OS X devices are in the hands of consumers. We all grew up with PC's and Windows (DOS for me), so when you label something as Windows, you expect it to run Windows programs. So trying to explain to a non-technical person that it's Windows, but it's not the Windows you are thinking of, is difficult.

IMO, the whole Windows 8 thing is a mess. It's great on my Lumia 920, but not cut out for a laptop/desktop. It's OK for a tablet, minus the desktop.

agreed if microsoft can have some settings that manage sd card (or seamlessly integrate sd card into hard drive) and make office "touch"

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I dont see what's so hard to understand the difference between Windows RT and Pro. It's been explained many many times and reading articles like this rubs me the wrong way. The RT version is like any other tablet on the market...it can only run applications purchased from its respective stores. iOS and Driod dont even have a desktop feature, but reviewers keep bashing RT for having a limited desktop that runs Home/Student version of Office. This alone places the RT device above any iOS or Driod tablets, but for some reason everyone wants to bash it.

Yes, yes, we all know that the MS Store does not have the same amount of apps as droid or iOS, but did these two stores have tons of apps when they first went live? I dont think so.

It seems to me that people dont want or wont allow Windows RT or any Windows to succeed...only their precious driod or iOS devices.

People need to realize that Windows 8 and any Windows devices are not going anywhere.
Simple people don't want to understand. I am more than a power user. I live my surface fine. Even though my iPad was far more limited, I used it properly until I got my surface and sold the tablet.

HHonestly, I don't want desktop apps on my surface... I used to think I did. I just use an ultrabook. It works far better than a surface pro would for me. Yet, the surface rt holds its own with almost anything I throw at it. When I do need desktop apps, I just remote into the computer that has what I need.

People rremember, the media gets paid far more from multiple and positive posts about apple. It is because that is what the public wants to hear. Microsoft just is not as popular even though they make a great product(s).

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just another tired BS story from the same tiresome crowd. The joke is if you press any of them on why it is an issue that Windows RT does not support every legacy app ever made but it is not an issue that IOS supports absolutely none from MacOS, they will quickly change the subject. It is also fascinating how the things touted as strengths for Android and IOS when it comes to ARM are suddenly fatal flaws for Microsoft. The fact is Microsoft will succeed on the strength of its products not the press coverage. It will also succeed the way it did with XBOX - a lot of money to bankroll sustainable market placement and growth rather than dumping products at below cost. BTW, anyone who wants that Samsung RT tablet in the US can get it from Amazon.com. It is sold direct by Amazon, not one of their third part resellers. As it stands though, until someone knocks Samsung off its game, it will continue to push its Android tablets before anything else. It makes money of its line of Android products and is not going to budge from that until it sees the bottom of that gold mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon