BOX - Can be mapped as Network Drive - just like Skydrive

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
File explorer -> right click "Computer" ->Map Network Drive ->

You can have it listed as a network drive, or a folder:

If you want it to show up with a drive letter, enter the following in the Map Network Drive window:
http://www.box.net/dav/
and enter your username / password as prompted.

If you want it to just show up as a network folder, select the "Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures" on the bottom of the screen
Hit Next -> Next -> then specify the Internet or network address as:
http://www.box.net/dav/ ->Next
and enter your username / password as prompted.

It will take 30 seconds or so for the drive to show up.

Im wondering if this is possible for Dropbox as well?? anyone know?

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Got me thinking, if I do this with SkyDrive I wonder if I can use the Windows backup of it to make a local copy in Windows RT, I really want a Surface...sorry to derail the thread a bit.

I have been using box since the 25gb promo and I've got to say I like it quite nicely. I can see how mapping a cloud service like a drive would help many a small business share files.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Good info, but I'm wondering. I'm an old Box user from my HP Touchpad days. I used it a little. But now that I have my Surface, I use SkyDrive as my cloud storage. Is there any benefit to using Box in addition to or instead of, SkyDrive? Do I need another option? I know it doesn't hurt to be backed up in more than one location, but is it convenient to back up to two different cloud services?

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I dont think there is an advatange of box over skydrive, but definitely just to store stuff. Most of the things i need are on skydrive whereas box is used more like a warehouse

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Good info, but I'm wondering. I'm an old Box user from my HP Touchpad days. I used it a little. But now that I have my Surface, I use SkyDrive as my cloud storage. Is there any benefit to using Box in addition to or instead of, SkyDrive? Do I need another option? I know it doesn't hurt to be backed up in more than one location, but is it convenient to back up to two different cloud services?

If your like me, and don't pay for your cloud services, there is never enough - I have (2) dropbox accounts - 7.8gb (mobile phone camera auto-uploads), and 2gb (work files), (2) Box accounts (got two 50gb free accounts - one with google, and one with outlook accounts), using both for digital camera file backups, google drive (I really dont use it too much, but I use it to transfer large files because skydrive wont let me). and of course Skydrive - I use for most of my personal files. I know - not the most efficient way to go, but I have a combined 122gb storage. And I am not counting my Google Music account, which I have easily 30gb used, and can upload to my hearts content (limit is 20,000 songs, and I am only using 8,000), and stream on my surface using GMusic.

That being said - Im sure there are better ways - like pay, but if your paying attention, you can get pretty hefty online cloud storage for free. I use Filebrick on my surface, gives me access to all my cloud files.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes i was talking at you hehe. But, after thinking about it, the recovery is created using another drive like a usb, but it has to be formatted. We definitely cant format cloud storage, but i wonder if i can copy everything from my usb to the cloud

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Damn, I just really need my files synced when I get on/off WiFi. And light. And long lasting battery. Surface RT is perfect for my on the go device but I need my files. I'm sure I could figure it out but I don't have the funds to make that gamble.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The way the Modern app seems to not keep accessible copies of your SkyDrive on the device. Only Desktop app does that. From what I've read online and experienced on my desktop.

I have mapped Skydrive to my RT and you are correct that it does not keep a local copy. You need be connected to internet to access it at all times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon