My new RT setup

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I went out and got me a Wedge Touch Mouse and Wedge Mobile Keyboard.

dave-blake-albums106-31005.jpg

The keyboard comes with a nice cover that folds in the middle and makes a nice stand for your tablet to sit on. I know what your thinking the Surface has a kickstand, but it isn't always at the very best angle for me. The Multi-purpose Cover is adjustable allowing for the best viewing angle.

dave-blake-albums106-31010.jpg

dave-blake-albums106-31006.jpg

The keyboard works great much better than the keyboard that came with the Surface. The keys have a nice soft bounce to them it really feels like a $80 keyboard.

dave-blake-albums106-31012.jpg

The Wedge Touch Mouse is nice. Its a tad small for my hands but I am getting used to it. It has soft touch up down left right scrolling which is nice. The left right buttons have a nice fell to them. They give a good click so you know you have pressed the button for sure. Its a blue light mouse so it works on almost any surface. Even the battery door is cool on this thing. It flings open like s switchblade knife. It has a nice set of LEDs to get you through the paring process.

dave-blake-albums106-31009.jpg

dave-blake-albums106-31008.jpg

These two devices work well together and even better with the Surface RT. No issues using 2 Bluetooth devices at the same time it all just simply works. The Surface RT already has all the necessary software installed no need to add drivers just pare-up and your ready to go. Its nice having a full size keyboard to type on that you can use anywhere. We all know how the Surface touch cover can miss keystrokes when sitting on a soft surface like your lap. That doesn't happen with the Wedge Mobile keyboard.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That looks like an excellent setup. I've longed contemplated that wedge keyboard but didn't want to drop $80 bucks for it. The added kickstand looks excellent. Here's a pic of my setup. Unfortunately it's pretty stationary.

WP_20130307_001.jpg

And yes I was watching Sliders. :cool:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That looks like an excellent setup. I've longed contemplated that wedge keyboard but didn't want to drop $80 bucks for it. The added kickstand looks excellent. Here's a pic of my setup. Unfortunately it's pretty stationary.

View attachment 31017

And yes I was watching Sliders. :cool:

Very nice setup.

Those accessories look enticing, but are they offered with more color options than just black?

I haven't seen any other colors. Microsoft isn't showing any color choices on their website either. Maybe that will change but I think right now this is all they are offering.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that's me and my RT. Watching a full screen smartphone stress test on one monitor. Netflix on the other while also watching a video on Gametrailers.com. Why am I watching three videos at once? Just to see if I could. :D

WP_20130324_016.jpg

theta_orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
rt setup.JPG

here's mine. This is where I usually charge the RT, in front of the HP monitor. I don't use a keyboard or mouse as I rather like the slate form factor...it's simply a beautiful thing to hold and use! My Lumia 920 is on its charging pad next to the router (being neglected a bit as of late because of my RT:wink:) Still use a mouse and pad for Photoshop stuff but to the right of that is a Logitech wireless keypad with all of the swipe gestures for windows 8. I use this the most for browsing, emails and navigating the Windows 8 UI.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The wedge keyboard is pretty good. My favourite thing about it is its the same length as the surface so makes it easy to carry around when you've got a small tablet sleeve. Can pop both RT and the wedge in there and just go.

gpstrucker

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
These all looks very cool, but I can't help thinking it kind of defeats the whole idea of an ultra portable device. Maybe it's just me.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a Wedge Mouse and touch keyboard for my RT. This works well enough for me. I have even typed a paper on it... Wasn't the greated experience, but it worked much better than any other touchscreen tablet I've used. The wedge mouse is great, but make sure the the power button is protected because it does not take much to power it on. I have had that happen to me and had no spare battery... I would love to use my touch arc mouse, but it is not bluetooth and therefore used it with my xps13 to save the single usb port of the surface. I really like the wedge keyboard, but just dont have a real use for it unless I used it with a media center or ps3. I am still eying it though. It would be really cool for a desktop pc if a numeric keypad was not needed. So clean and elegant.

Here is a small piece of my dual screen + workstation, single touchscreen monitor (angled one) setup. I have a wacom touch and pen set... Don't use it much though. I usually will draw on my then ipad or surface and then do my edits and enhancments to my graphic work. The surface the xps 13 are my mobile warriors, where one or both will go with me. The Surface RT is with me all the time, unless I dont need the weight or usage. No production dedicated servers other than my "slugs" or my lumia 920 pictured. Cool thing is that I am able to get into anyone of these computers from my surface if more horse power is needed, even the sometime used mac mini is available... The surface is one bad tablet!!! Love this thing and everywhere I go, people usually inquire. They really have to see one in action... Not at the store, but someone using it to see how wonderful, fun, productive, etc it really can be.

WP_20130325_003.jpg

Last edited:

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll post a pic of my RT setup soon. I have the Wedge Touch Mouse Surface edition (I'd bought the regular version and then Microsoft launched the new edition within my 14-day period so they exchanged it for free :D Gotta love Microsoft!)

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll post a pic of my RT setup soon. I have the Wedge Touch Mouse Surface edition (I'd bought the regular version and then Microsoft launched the new edition within my 14-day period so they exchanged it for free :D Gotta love Microsoft!)

Yeah, I would like the surface edition, but I bought my wedge mouse a few days after I bought my launch surface... Sometimes chrome/silver is too cheesy. The surface edition wedge mouse is more subtle and elegant.

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Your set up is why I have been on the fence about getting a Surface RT. I have an iPad and I got super frustrated recently because of how locked it is to use in normal life. I wanted to bluetooth a picture to one of those photo printers at department stores and it could not work because I had not updated my 3rd iPad to 6.01. Has the RT improved in terms of app launch times?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Your set up is why I have been on the fence about getting a Surface RT. I have an iPad and I got super frustrated recently because of how locked it is to use in normal life. I wanted to bluetooth a picture to one of those photo printers at department stores and it could not work because I had not updated my 3rd iPad to 6.01. Has the RT improved in terms of app launch times?
Some of the core apps are a bit faster like the News app loads stories faster but the speed increase is more minor than major.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon