Kickstand broke, Replacement?

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody,

here is the bad news: our kickstand of the Surface RT broke. It was on the floor while skyping with the grandparents and our daughter pushed it over (as so often before). This time though, the kickstand bend and on the points, where it is connected to the Surface itself, it even cracked. Now, the kickstand doesn't close anymore.

Can the kickstand be replaced? What is your experience? I quick search on the internet resulted in a MS Answer forum that said, it cannot be replaced, even though you can easily unscrew it.

Thanks for your input,

MCheiron
kickstand.jpg

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You will need to replace the whole of your Surface device, unless if you have purchased the special guarantee package for Microsoft Surface (I forgot what's the package name), for $99...

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
You will need to replace the whole of your Surface device, unless if you have purchased the special guarantee package for Microsoft Surface (I forgot what's the package name), for $99...

Ja, just chatted with MS. $299 for the exchange!!!!! That is crazy. For the kickstand that is clearly designed to be replaceable. I am very disappointed to say the least.

ngc891

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Having gone through the trauma of replacing the screen of my surface myself I can confidently say that replacing the kickstand is very easy indeed! All you will need is a T4 torx screwdriver and about 5 minutes of your time. Looking at the eBay link above though that seems to be the whole back cover with the kickstand missing, the back cover would be a difficult job to replace as you would be removing the battery which is glued down.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ja, just chatted with MS. $299 for the exchange!!!!! That is crazy. For the kickstand that is clearly designed to be replaceable. I am very disappointed to say the least.

I'm sorry is that with or without the $99 guarantee? Also is that for a repair or replacement? When my surface got ran over for the second time, I paid $49 on top of the $99 I paid for the guarantee and they replaced everything (technically they were only suppose to replace the device, but at the time they only had the full bundle packaged and ready)

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Having gone through the trauma of replacing the screen of my surface myself I can confidently say that replacing the kickstand is very easy indeed! All you will need is a T4 torx screwdriver and about 5 minutes of your time. Looking at the eBay link above though that seems to be the whole back cover with the kickstand missing, the back cover would be a difficult job to replace as you would be removing the battery which is glued down.

Oh damn I thought it had the kickstand on it... Anyway, point being you should be able to get a kickstand somewhere for not much $ and do the replacement yourself.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I did not buy the extended warranty. I think that the kickstand itself costs for them $10 or less. We took the kickstand off, no problem, took 2 mins. Now we are using it without. We are for sure not paying $299. I will keep my eyes open for a replacement on ebay, but so far no luck.

I still think it is crazy that this fairly fragile piece (please don't tell me that it is not) is not readily available. I did not assume that the kickstand is unbreakable, when I bought the surface, I assumed that it can be simply exchanged. Call me old fashioned.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I bet you could fix that with epoxy and some carbon fabric. If you put it on the outside there would be no interference and if it was a millimeter thicker who cares. Carbon fiber looks cool besides.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is an update:

We ordered the exchange of the Surface, but not only is the price ridiculous as I said before, but also the surface itself. Initially I was happy, it didn't cost anything to get packaging and the surface was sent via FedEx overnight. But then it sat at the service center for a week until, I got an update that a service person is looking at it. Several hours later, a shipment was scheduled with the replacement (I hope), but the tracking number didn't turn anything up until 3 days later! Well, I thought it would be back within a day.... wrong.... they must have put it on a horse or something, since shipping back from Texas where there service center is takes 1 week, yes, 1 week.

When chatting with the online service, I was told that between sending and receiving the Surface replacement there are 5-7 business days. It will be well over 10 more like 13 days. I have to say that I was a MS ******, but this experience turned me away. First the fact that there is no replacement for a obviously fragile part, second the ridiculous price for the exchange, third their service.

I learnt my lesson and Lenovo has me back. Just waiting for their new hybrid.

Sorry for ranting. But I am very disappointed.

steven cosby

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Kickstand broke, Replacement? Surface Pro 2

Terrible experience with Microsoft. Only the kick stand is broken on my Surface Pro 2. Tell me I have to send the entire unit back to either get it fixed or replaced. Said they want to look it before replacing . What poor service. All I need is to fix the kick stand. Will not even sell me the part. Not happy. Avoid Microsoft. They do not understand consumers.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Kickstand broke, Replacement? Surface Pro 2

Terrible experience with Microsoft. Only the kick stand is broken on my Surface Pro 2. Tell me I have to send the entire unit back to either get it fixed or replaced. Said they want to look it before replacing . What poor service. All I need is to fix the kick stand. Will not even sell me the part. Not happy. Avoid Microsoft. They do not understand consumers.

I am not surprised. Ms hardware division does not get a good rep.

Consider other manufacturers like Dell and Lenovo next time :).

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2