Networking

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Networking is my worst computer skill. I was pleased that I figured out how to connect my RT to my home group and share certain files from my desktop. Everything works great inside MY wifi bubble. How can I access my desktop from someone else's wifi? I have used remote desktop and it is ok but what I want is to just access data from my hard drive not control my whole desktop. My daughter told me about logmein https://secure.logmein.com/ but I was wondering if I am just missing how to do this with existing software and networking techniques.

All ideas are welcome, thanks............calfee

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you aren't experienced with networking, a program like logmein or gotomypc would be the best option for you.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there are other options. Many corporations use Virtual Private Networks (VPN). VPN creates an encrypted tunnel from your computer to it's home network. When you are connected to your network via VPN, your computer behaves as though it were inside your house. You can access all network assets as though you were at home. That means you can use Remote Desktop.

This is the solution I use. I installed new software on my home router called DD-WRT, which will install an OpenVPN server on my home router. It works well, but it requires extra effort to get everything working initially, and I don't believe there is an OpenVPN client for Windows RT yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes