Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new to the whole WP thing. I've had a ton of Blackberrys and Androids, and two iPhones -but I've yet to try a WP.

I've suddenly become insanely fascinated with the WP8 Lumias. And I have no idea why. Can you guys tell me a little bit about why I would wanna ditch my Droid Razr Maxx and iPhone5 for a Lumia?

Also, I'm currently on my family's plan on Verizon. One of our lines just ended its contract. I'm seriously thinking about using this out to start buying unlocked GSM phones and hopping on T-Mobile Monthly 4G plan (the $60/month will be just fine for me).

I do love the curves on the 822 - but obviously, if I leave Verizon, the 822 won't be an option. Are there any unlocked 820 variants available? Is the 820 exclusive to AT&T? Or can I buy an unlocked 820 and bring it to T-Mobile?

Or is there a specific model number for the unlocked 820 variant?

BTW, for what it's worth, if I do jump onto the WP train - I've already decided on going with a Lumia 820 variant. No interest in the 920, or the HTC's, or the Samsung.

Thanks for your help! Glad to join you guys at wpcentral!

-mcskipp

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you like buying a new phone and getting it abandoned by the manufacturer, stick with any Android phone. If you like to receive timely upgrades, good support, and great apps, switch to a Lumia. I made the mistake of getting an Android phone in the fall of 2011. I switched to a Lumia 710 in February of 2012 and never looked back. It just works and it gets updates, unlike what I experienced with my Android phone. Also, on my Android phone the apps would crash right and left...it was really unbelieveable. The only apps I have ever had crash on my Lumia were alpha and beta version apps I was testing for devs. I've never had a final version app crash on me.

I can't speak on why you should switch from an iPhone. I've never had one, but I do understand that iOS is a sea of static icons. Whereas WP7/8 has Live Tiles, which are really awesome. But you'll need to experience them first, then you'll understand why they're so nice.

You should be able to buy a Lumia 810 (the T-Mo version of the Lumia 820) off contract soon. Yes, Monthly 4G is the right path to go on. I save so much money by being on it.

Welcome to the forum!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to WP Central and (hopefully) to Windows Phone!

As to why would you want to go with a Windows Phone, well it's easier if I let Microsoft's VP of Windows Phone Joe Belfiore show you:

Meet Windows Phone 8 - YouTube (you'll see a comparison of all 3 platforms in the first couple of minutes)

also check out this page:

Windows Phone (United States)

The 820 is an AT&T exclusive and it is NOT sold unlocked. It can be sold out of contract, but not unlocked. I don't know if the 820 works with T-Mobile, but T-Mobile has their own variant called the 810.

Curious, what attracts you about the 820 series when comparing them to the 920/HTCs/Samsung?

Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
speedtouch - Thanks for your reply! What I found with Android is that because the OS is used on over 100 different devices, it can be a nasty game of russian roulette. I've had absolutely horrible androids, and I've had some that run flawless. I fell in love with the Droid Razr Maxx because of the massive battery and the ultra-fluid operations. But when I updated to Ice Cream Sandwich, my 3300mAh battery started lasting about 6-7 hours. And I had to go research how to 'train' it back to a more acceptable level. The process was tolerable for me, but I can't imagine your average user having any idea how to figure it out.

-mcskipp

Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey aubreyq! I've opted against the Samsung and HTC's because of how beautiful and impressive the Nokia build looks. Plus, my experiences with HTC Androids have left a disgusting taste in my mouth. The abomination that was those HTC battery lives have soured me on that company for a long time.

Thanks for the video link too! I will watch it when I have some time at home tonight :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

-mcskipp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon