Guess I'm not so dumb anymore...

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello all!

My name's Dave and I just made the jump from a basic flip phone to a basic smartphone - the Nokia Lumia 520. Been thinking of getting a SP for some time, partly to be part of the "in crowd" but more to get a phone with a larger, more readable screen to make things easier for my aging Baby Boomer eyes :wink:. Had been holding off getting a smartphone because I didn't want to be tethered to a two-year contract and a $70/month combined Voice/Data plan with my carrier of choice, AT&T. Saw the Lumia 520 advertized for $100 and no Contract commitment and here I am.

So far, I think I like the phone. It seems fast & responsive to me, having nothing to compare it to. One thing I think Nokia and Microsoft are dropping the ball big time on though is not allowing the option to add Custom Alert/Notification/Alarm sounds. The ones included with the phone are just not loud enough and it seems idiotic not to allow owners to add their own. Anyone know if Nokia or Microsoft are planning to change this?

Cheers - Dave

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear that you solved your own problem.

I think entry-level devices is where Windows Phone shines the most. Other devices in the same price range are slow when compared to a 520.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. The Lumia 520 is definitely a fab device but a little below my spec choice so I have a 920, but the 520 sounds like it will meet your needs and then some.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing I think Nokia and Microsoft are dropping the ball big time on though is not allowing the option to add Custom Alert/Notification/Alarm sounds. The ones included with the phone are just not loud enough and it seems idiotic not to allow owners to add their own. Anyone know if Nokia or Microsoft are planning to change this?

Cheers - Dave

Actually once you add a custom ringtone to your phone you can also use it as a custom Alarm sound.

newavengers12

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome from another newbie to the site... One thing is for sure. You will enjoy discovering that brave new world inside a Lumia device!

Be sure to check back here if you get lost. Lots of good guys here that will help you out! But for what you say, you are doing pretty good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39