New to WP8 from Android 4.4 Impressions

Aegentirony

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Allow me to introduce myself,
I'm Chris and i recently moved over to WP8 from Android.
The other day my HTC One S decided to base jump from the 3rd story balcony :cry:
It didn't survive. This left me with no phone ! :shocked: So, being at the moment i am on a super budget i just couldn't justify spending another $250+ on a phone...
I took a trip over to t-mobile , told them the story and asked what budget phones they had. The salesman proceeded to show me a couple Lg's, a samsung , and a couple Alcatel phones (wtf is Alcatel) ...He gave me NO option for the two windows phones he had...The 521 and the 925 i think it is...The 521 was 120 bucks outright and the 925 was like 500 :shocked: (out of my price range) i decided to go with the 521 and after the salesman telling me i shouldn't go with this phone and choose the Alcatel (wtf is Alcatel) like 5 more times i left with my first windows phone...Now mind you i didn't go in blind and did my research on the phones and i knew i was getting the 521 before i even got there due to the price really ... Now on to my impression of WP8 coming from using CM11 (Cyanogenmod 11) running Android 4.4.2

Firstly, the little Nokia feels great in the hand. Not too large not too small.

I will say first off that i am VERY IMPRESSED with WP8 . The overall smoothness just won me over from first setting up the accounts to just daily usage im blown away.
Yes my Android phone was WAY more customizable...Did i customize it ? Not really. Having a phone that just plain works in every task is a breath of fresh air. I had to flash my HTC with another rom from stock because the phone was not getting updated. Then the custom rom, some things were broke. Tethering didn't work, the volume was crappy...and things just overall lagged at times. The battery wouldn't last one day without having to use a charger. I honestly don"t think i would go back. Having this Lumia 521 has been great so far and im enjoying it immensely. There are a couple apps i miss but its trivial and doesn't really matter as a have a NEXUS 7 tablet. I will be looking to upgrade to a better Nokia in maybe 6 months or so i think now. The only things missing from this Lumia 521 IMO is a flash, front cam and 1gb ram, otherwise it does everything i want smoother without crash's, without google, and i can use the speakerphone! Hallelujah! I'm new so suggest some cool apps!

Nemanja Pavlovic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome!

Glad you like your new Lumia, but then, everyone does xD

Here's a couple of useful apps to try out:

myTube - my favorite YT client
6tag - the best Instagram client (some say on all platforms). While you there, select "other apps from this developer" (or something like that) and see why Rudy Huyn is the rockstar of the WP community :D
Nokia Camera (might be BETA for the 521, not sure)
MoliPlayer Pro - plays all audio/video formats

try PhotoBeamer as well, it's fun :D

Have fun!

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Bing News, Bing Weather, Bing Finance, Bing Sports
Battery (red icon) - check your battery percentage, pin your wifi, bluetooth, etc settings to your start screen
Fantasia Painter - Versatile painting app
Nokia Cinemagraph - create your own gifs
Photosynth - Photosphere like app for WP
Wikipedia - Rudy Huyn's Wikipedia app for WP
WPCentral - AWESOME app for anything WP related
6snap - Rudy Huyn's Snapchat app
6sec - Rudy Huyn's Vine app
Weave - Flipboard like app for WP
Mint - Manage your money

These are just some of those awesome apps available in the Store... There's a lot more out there 😃

Welcome to the WP Community! 😃

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral.

Some apps I recommend:

Awesome Lock (Lock screen enhancement)
Battery Sense (battery app)
ConnectMe (RDP Client)
Copy This (Use speech to text anywhere)
MetroTube (YouTube client)
MoliPlayer Pro (media player)
Package Tracker (track packages from virtually any delivery carrier)
Picture Info (view exif data for pictures)
WP Tools (clear now playing from music controls drop down and clear Xbox Music + Video Hub history)

And, of course, WPCentral app.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WP8. I've used both Android and WP on and off over the last 2-3 years and quite honestly I like both OS's and things about both ecosystems. I was using a Nexus 4 since early last year, a Galaxy Nexus previous to that. I'd used WP75 on an HTC Trophy before trying out Android.

Back last August I was getting the itch to try WP8 so I got a used 920 off eBay. The past months I've been switching back and forth between the 920 and the N4 to get my fix with both.😁. I just sold the N4 today on fact deciding to go with the 920 full time and see if I can really like WP8 more over Android. Its been hard deciding one over the other.

Good luck with your 521!

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral. 512MB RAM in 521 is pretty smooth but the 1GB phones are much smoother :) Two apps I would recommend for the starters are WPCentral and Windows Phone News

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Allow me to introduce myself,
I'm Chris and i recently moved over to WP8 from Android.

Yes my Android phone was WAY more customizable...Did i customize it ? Not really. Having a phone that just plain works in every task is a breath of fresh air. I had to flash my HTC with another rom from stock because the phone was not getting updated. Then the custom rom, some things were broke.

Welcome onboard Chris.
From one short timer to another, I echo your thoughts my friend ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk