A hopeful convertee

Bobbss

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I was unsure as to where to post this, so thought I'd post it on the introduction while, obvious introducing myself!

I'm currently a Windows Phone virgin, but I'm looking to convert from Android (5 year relationship) and I'm unsure as to what to transfer to. I live the the UK, England to be more precise, and have been looking as to what phone to next get as my contract is up for renewal at the end of the month. Now, I've been looking at WP's for a little while now (currently have the S3), but I'm not sure what to go for... I was hoping that yesterday someone would have been announced that made me think "That's the one", but I was still left little unsure.

I understand that the Lumia 930 is due to be released in June, and with Windows 8.1 being attached to it and it's relatively low price tag, it sounded appealing, but not stealing.

Can I ask, what other WP's should I look into other than the 930, 1020 & 1520? Or should I hang fire until a better flagship is released?

I have an Xbox One, and I'm bored of all the Google+ and Google Accounts that are required to operate an Android, so have come to the conclusion that a Windows Phone is for me... besides, I've always preferred Microsoft products.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and many thanks to whoever can help!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Happy to have you posting, and welcome aboard!!

I think if you are not in a hurry, the L930 is going to be a great option. I have had several opportunities to play around with the Icon here in the states, and it is a fantastic device. The screen pops, the phone screams, and the L930 will equal it.

The L1020 is just a wonder. That camera has most point and shoots beat. The phone is thick of course, and the screen and internals are a tad older, but my duaghter owns one and it works like a charm as a smartphone. If you love photography, I still would say consider it. Nothing else even comes close.

If you like large phones, you HAVE to try the 1520. Just an amazing phone with no faults at all. The size is a concern, unless you love it. Everyone who owns one swears once you get used to it, nothing smaller will do.

I have heard of no other phones in the rumor mill yet, so I have trouble telling you to wait. I amsure one of those choices will sing for you. Give them a chance.

Please keep posting and tell us what you decide!

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
yeah each lumia is different in some way or the other but all work nearly flawless
welcome aboard!! :)
id suggest waiting for a 1520 successor if u can(or go for a currently available one , they are also awesome and wont miss out on any features)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a side note, the 930 and 1520 have the next gen SoC in it which will possibly bring extra features that the older devices will not have. If you are looking for a complete experience you may want one of the two. I have an Icon (which is basically the 930) and it is incredible to the touch, screen is brilliant, and just the perfect size device. If you can find one to hold go for it! (I know that would probably be very difficult in the UK). If I were in your shoes I would get the 930.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
there are sales on 925 in the US right now (there was an article about it last week) can pick one up for $200 bucks no contract.

Bobbss

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Well, in all honesty, I've never been one to lean and go towards a phone for its camera, so I'll take that one out of the equation I think.

And, while I'm being honest, I've always preferred big screens, but I'm concerned that the 1520 is "outdated", or is this not the case?

I'm usually the type of person to go for the newest thing, but if 1520 straight up beats the 930, then it'd be silly not to go for the 1520 right?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, in all honesty, I've never been one to lean and go towards a phone for its camera, so I'll take that one out of the equation I think.

And, while I'm being honest, I've always preferred big screens, but I'm concerned that the 1520 is "outdated", or is this not the case?

I'm usually the type of person to go for the newest thing, but if 1520 straight up beats the 930, then it'd be silly not to go for the 1520 right?

1520 and 930 are basically the same phone in different sizes. lol

Bobbss

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Oh really? Well that makes the decision a little easier!

I'll see if I can get my hands on both phones and see what I prefer. I think I'd go for the 930 due to it being the newest model, and me being that type of person!

Looking forward to trying and playing with a WP, it's been a long time coming!

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

This is not android, 920 still runs like the first day, even after all the updates (amber, black). If you're tight on the budget, 925 and 920 are still great devices, basically the same as 1020, except for the camera (they all run on the same hardware, and US 928 does too). 930, 1520, Icon are again based on same hardware. Try 1520, if the size suits you, there ya have it, get that, if it's too big, wait a couple of months for 930. 930 is probably going to cost more than 1520, just because it's newer, even though it's very much the same device. It's silly taking the 'latest and greatest' approach with 930 and 1520, because they are both 'latest and greatest' at the moment.
I honestly don't think there will be a new flagship released any time soon, they'll probably release another midranger or lowranger since those are most selling Lumias anyway. 925 was released half a year after 920, and it's 95% the same, and 1020 one month later, and it's again the same, so the next one (935?) will probably be the same as 930, just a little different, you'd have to wait more then a year for a completely new chipset to be supported by WP. WP is quite limited in which chips it supports, and snapdragon 800 (1520, 930, Icon) is the best one at the moment. Until new chip is supported by WP, all new flagships are going to be built on this one.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
This is not android, 920 still runs like the first day, even after all the updates (amber, black). If you're tight on the budget, 925 and 920 are still great devices, basically the same as 1020, except for the camera (they all run on the same hardware, and US 928 does too). 930, 1520, Icon are again based on same hardware. Try 1520, if the size suits you, there ya have it, get that, if it's too big, wait a couple of months for 930. 930 is probably going to cost more than 1520, just because it's newer, even though it's very much the same device. It's silly taking the 'latest and greatest' approach with 930 and 1520, because they are both 'latest and greatest' at the moment.
I honestly don't think there will be a new flagship released any time soon, they'll probably release another midranger or lowranger since those are most selling Lumias anyway. 925 was released half a year after 920, and it's 95% the same, and 1020 one month later, and it's again the same, so the next one (935?) will probably be the same as 930, just a little different, you'd have to wait more then a year for a completely new chipset to be supported by WP. WP is quite limited in which chips it supports, and snapdragon 800 (1520, 930, Icon) is the best one at the moment. Until new chip is supported by WP, all new flagships are going to be built on this one.
yeah welome to windows phone where no phone is considered low or outdated!!even the 520 users get updates and latest features unlike ios and android!!i personally have two 720s and a 820 in my household and are excellent despite being released a little over a year ago!!
i have used ios,android,bb,symbian phones till 2013 when i got my 1st 720 and the jump is simply brilliant,the community here is polite and helpful and the os is buttery smooth and i dont see a lack of apps!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, Bob! Many of us are either iOS or Android converts. Once you go with Windows Phone, you'll never look back! :grin: If you're an AT&T customer and you're still a little iffy, you can always try out a 520 since it's so cheap. Ditto for the 521 if you're on T-Mobile.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Bobbss - great to see you're getting so much help here to make your decision easier! Welcome to WPCentral.

Bobbss

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the plethora of information guys! I'm actually based in the UK, so I'm registered with o2. :) And this might seem like a stupid question, but can I presume that the Lumia 1520 will be updated with Windows 8.1? If people are saying the 930 & the 1520 are virtually identical, except the screen size, I think I'd go for the 1520, as I've always preferred bigger phones.

Also, I've heard that the biggest problem with Windows Phone's is the poor range of apps. Now, the only app that is a necessity for me is Spotify, as I literally listen to music at any point I can.

Can someone confirm whether or not Spotify is available to Windows? If it didn't, I'd be willing to convert to Xbox Music, but I listen to a lot of heavy music such death metal, hardcore, etc, and I'm unsure whether Xbox Music would have the same catalogue as Spotify.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, the 1520 would surely be updated, as will all other phones (even the lowly 520, EVERY WP8 PHONE !), Microsoft ensures all windows phone 8 phones are compatiple.. Every phone would get support till atleast 36 months of its launch. But it also depends on your carrier, but you can get the fully functional developer preview for free. Smile ! And apps aren't that big a problem, and spotify is surely available, though i cant vouch for its quality as i dont use it. You can google/bing it and read the reviews on the store. If i remember right, a new vastly improved spotify is coming in 1-2 months...
Btw, xbox music has a nice catalogue too..

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
TCan someone confirm whether or not Spotify is available to Windows? If it didn't, I'd be willing to convert to Xbox Music, but I listen to a lot of heavy music such death metal, hardcore, etc, and I'm unsure whether Xbox Music would have the same catalogue as Spotify.

Spotify | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
There's also Nokia MixRadio which is quite great (if it works in your country)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the plethora of information guys! I'm actually based in the UK, so I'm registered with o2. :) And this might seem like a stupid question, but can I presume that the Lumia 1520 will be updated with Windows 8.1? If people are saying the 930 & the 1520 are virtually identical, except the screen size, I think I'd go for the 1520, as I've always preferred bigger phones.

Also, I've heard that the biggest problem with Windows Phone's is the poor range of apps. Now, the only app that is a necessity for me is Spotify, as I literally listen to music at any point I can.

Can someone confirm whether or not Spotify is available to Windows? If it didn't, I'd be willing to convert to Xbox Music, but I listen to a lot of heavy music such death metal, hardcore, etc, and I'm unsure whether Xbox Music would have the same catalogue as Spotify.

even nokia mixradio is excellent,no xbox music in my country yet :(
apps are making their way at a decent rate
major apps are already present
as for updates etc,all wp8 devices will get wp8.1 even the 520 and no phone will be left out on features and stuff

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there bobbss!
Whatever your decision you will be a welcome member here at WPC.
Looking forward to hearing about your road to the WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon