Impressed with WP8, switching from Android soon...

TommyC1969

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have been a long time Android user. Android is the only smartphone OS I have ever used. I have gone through a Galaxy S3, a HTC One, and a Moto X. I also have Nexus 7 (2013), as well as a Chromebook. I have been heavily invested in Google and Android. Still, I have always kept my eye on Windows Phone. I have been rooting for Windows 8, the Surface, Surface 2, and Windows Phone to be a success. It seems like we might be on that cusp. I have been really impressed with what Microsoft has been doing lately with Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. I think Nadella is heading Microsoft in the right direction. Such a breath of fresh air after Ballmer.

Today I just horsed around with a Lumia 925 on display at T-Mobile. I have to say that I was really, really impressed. The screen is amazing. The deep blacks caught my eye right off the bat. The OS seems really fluid and responsive, and it is so much more cool, in my opinion, than the tired cliche of a page of app icons & folders. Animations are smooth, fast, and cool. The phone has a really good feel in the hand. I walked away very impressed. I am looking forward to switching to WP when I am out of contract in November. Between then and now, I am trying to decide on the best handset. One of the things that is most frustrating about WP is that any given handset is only available on one, maybe two, carriers. And the flagship phones...the really, really awesome ones (1520 & Icon right now) are on AT&T and Verizon. Ugh. I would like to switch to T-mobile (I am a long-time Sprint customer), but the 925 and 635 aren't what I am looking for. I am looking for a flagship phone. Why aren't the flagship handsets available on all carriers (a la the HTC One, Galaxy S5, LG G2, Iphone, etc). It doesn't make sense to me... Windows Phone would like to grow its US marketshare. Not making all the best handsets available on all carriers is just cutting your nose off to spite your face, it seems to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and that I look forward to joining your ranks before too long.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone Central.
We have graded your choice with an "A" for Awesome!

Very glad to see you on.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
See you in November. Hopefully
t-mobile pick up more WP by that time. Welcome!

I'm with T-Mobile now. Why wouldn't you try the 925? It's selling for $200 off contract! Great investment for the price. I wouldn't hold my breath on T-Mobile getting a higher end WP since they just announced 630/635.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I would really like the 1520 or the Icon. If I bought them unlocked, would they work on T-mobile?

My experience isn't really with Nokia per se, but the general rule is that AT&T doesn't include the frequencies needed to get high speed data on T-Mobile.

I'm sure others know for a fact, but don't rush into it until you're 100% sure.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully once MS takes over the Nokia phone division, they would have enough muscle to push new handsets across all the U.S. carriers. Thank goodness we have no such carrier issues over here. I'm currently saving for the 1520 (I actually prefer the smaller Icon but it's not going to come here anytime soon and I must have SD card support) but may hold-out a bit longer to see if there's news or rumors of a MS-NOKIA Xbox Surface Phone coming soon.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have been a long time Android user. Android is the only smartphone OS I have ever used. I have gone through a Galaxy S3, a HTC One, and a Moto X. I also have Nexus 7 (2013), as well as a Chromebook. I have been heavily invested in Google and Android. Still, I have always kept my eye on Windows Phone. I have been rooting for Windows 8, the Surface, Surface 2, and Windows Phone to be a success. It seems like we might be on that cusp. I have been really impressed with what Microsoft has been doing lately with Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. I think Nadella is heading Microsoft in the right direction. Such a breath of fresh air after Ballmer.

Today I just horsed around with a Lumia 925 on display at T-Mobile. I have to say that I was really, really impressed. The screen is amazing. The deep blacks caught my eye right off the bat. The OS seems really fluid and responsive, and it is so much more cool, in my opinion, than the tired cliche of a page of app icons & folders. Animations are smooth, fast, and cool. The phone has a really good feel in the hand. I walked away very impressed. I am looking forward to switching to WP when I am out of contract in November. Between then and now, I am trying to decide on the best handset. One of the things that is most frustrating about WP is that any given handset is only available on one, maybe two, carriers. And the flagship phones...the really, really awesome ones (1520 & Icon right now) are on AT&T and Verizon. Ugh. I would like to switch to T-mobile (I am a long-time Sprint customer), but the 925 and 635 aren't what I am looking for. I am looking for a flagship phone. Why aren't the flagship handsets available on all carriers (a la the HTC One, Galaxy S5, LG G2, Iphone, etc). It doesn't make sense to me... Windows Phone would like to grow its US marketshare. Not making all the best handsets available on all carriers is just cutting your nose off to spite your face, it seems to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and that I look forward to joining your ranks before too long.

yeah, Nokia's marketing strategies suck.

If you really want a very good phone, you can buy an unlocked one.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The problem with fragmented flagships in the US is because carriers think exclusives are a great way to entice users to join their networks.

For me, it's worked, as my love of Lumia keeps me chained to AT&T. It sucks, I know, but until WP gains more market share: it'll be like this for quite some time.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have also been a long time Android user and I switched to the 1520 about a month ago and I absolutely love it, no regrets! My next purchase is going to be the Surface after I have saved my pennies. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon