Switching from Apple

ReggieDunlop68

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Quick Background: The first computer I ever owned was a Macintosh. When Steve Jobs was ousted from the company, the Macintosh platform produced overpriced, underperforming computers with a limited software library. I used Microsoft products until 2002 when Apple returned to great form, and I've stuck with Apple products since then. I I haven't felt that Apple has provided any innovating products since the death of Steve Jobs, and recently, they've shown that the only want the cool factor over substance, I think it's time to look at switching.

I own an iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I use the iCloud service, and have an Apple email. I also have a strong, legal, iTunes library.

I dual boot Windows 8.1 on my iMac, and I've chosen to only use the Windows partition for a month to see how I like it. I first became interested in returning to Windows products after I saw the Surface Pro. I was never happy with my iPad, so the surface intrigued me. While I was at the store, I was able to use the Windows Phone, and I was more than impressed.

I think Microsoft still has a bad rap from a while ago when the company became to big and had little competition, but I like what I've seen from Microsoft over the last two years. I think a lot of the bad reviews are from people who never actually used the Microsoft products. I'm admitting that I was reluctant to even try the products due to my former experience with the older systems.

I'm thinking of making the switch, and I'm trying to gather as much information on the Windows platform that I can in terms of Apps and other services. I want to make sure I make the correct choice, but every where I look, the reviews are clearly biased, so they don't provide an accurate representation of the pros and cons of the devices on the platform.

I want to keep this post as succinct as possible to avoid the proverbial TL;DR.

I'm not going to switch until I'm sure, so thank you for any help I receive!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Welcome aboard.
Hope by reading around these forums you find what you want to know.

I like the Windows Phone platform especially since buying a Lumia 925 this past April.
The forthcoming release of 8.1 has excited many users...it has also frustrated many.

Some are never happy and will always find fault.
I have the 8.1 Dev Preview on my phone right now.
The last update at 8.0 was fine for me.

Even though I have had zero to minimal bugs with my phone I have not been that enamored with 8.1

Best of luck to you Reggie...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
that's a lot you may be asking, anywhere in particular you wish to start?
(e.g. app selection in the Windows Store, Windows Phone Store, Outlook.com and OneDrive... vs. iCloud, music experience, accessing your Apple ecosystem from the outside, performance of Windows 8.1...)

ReggieDunlop68

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
that's a lot you may be asking, anywhere in particular you wish to start?
(e.g. app selection in the Windows Store, Windows Phone Store, Outlook.com and OneDrive... vs. iCloud, music experience, accessing your Apple ecosystem from the outside, performance of Windows 8.1...)

I wanted to add the questions as the thread developed.

Your right that it's a lot of changes to make. I'm interested in all the categories you mentioned. I just didn't want to make the opening thread too long. Otherwise I get the TL;DR responses, but I thank you for your quick reply!

As I said I'm completely Apple based right now.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Microsoft products for about 30 years. I have always preferred them, but with certain hardware and software only compatible with iOS and maybe Android, even I have an iPad Mini and a full iPad (4th generation). I also have various Windows 8.1 devices and a Windows Phone, all of which I use primarily while the Apple devices are only to fill the gap. However. the fact is that you have to use what works best for you. If you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, it may not be feasible to make a complete switch. There is no iTunes for Windows Phone or Windows RT although most downloaded music is DRM free. As for videos/TV shows, it's a different story. Then there are many other apps in the Apple App Store and if you have something specifically required and it is not available for WP and there is no viable third party solution available, it could be potential issue.
If you let us know your specific requirements and expectations, I would be glad to assist in making the decision.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm running off of my memory, so I can't guarantee my knowledge 100%, but I'm confident.
On the typical Windows side, 8.1 best hooks into the ecosystem, able to sync themes, settings, etc with other PCs and even Phones with the 8.1 update.
New to Windows 8 is the Store. It's pretty much an app store, best on tablets, less so on desktop computers where you'll be spending most of your time in the desktop. (traditional Windows as you know it) Selection is OK, but its no App Store. On the plus side, it does legacy programs like any previous Windows version.

Windows Phone's Store is OK too. You'll notice the gap though. Steps are being taken to merge the two. Himanshu shower you where to look.

Outlook.com is online email, contacts, calendar. Similar to iCloud.com. Now I could be wrong, but I believe you could sync your devices with iCloud email, contacts, calendar, but I don't know how locked down it is.

Free on the iOS side you have iWork and iCloud, here, you have Office on Windows Phone, OneDrive tying your devices together, Office Online (like Office meets Google Docs)
Worth noting MS is fairly friendly to other platforms (OneNote, other apps and sync options for other platforms) at this time, so I personally believe it may be the best "hub" for information if using multiple ecosystems.

MS has Xbox Music and a subscription option. I don't use the service personally. If you can, dragging and dropping your iTunes music might be the easiest way to get your music onto a phone. We do have sync apps, but not to the level of iTunes.
The music experience on WP is solid, except MS swapped in a new horrendous Music app that just isn't ready for prime time. It's being fixed up bit by bit though.

I'll have to drop in later to toss in more info and fix up what I've said.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! I'm an Apple fan as well; I used an iPhone 4 from July 2011 until November 2012, when I got my first Windows Phone, the Nokia Lumia 810. I also have two iPod classics (my older 80GB one died several months back, though), a MacBook Pro that I got in May 2011 and an iPod touch 5th generation. I do love my Apple gadgets, but Windows Phone has totally won my heart as far as phones go (after the 810, I also got a Lumia 920 in May of last year and a 925 this past February). I think you would find transitioning to Windows Phone pretty painless.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Use both. ITunes runs on Windows making all your Apple hardware compatible. Keep your Apple hardware that you're already pleased with and swap the things you don't like for the best of both worlds.

feare56

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an unbiased opinion. I was like you, I was a big apple junky and I now have a PowerMac g5, iBook g4, iMac g4, and a Macintosh 2 si. For windows I only have one laptop and a windows phone. As far as mobile operating systems I wouldn't go for another iPhone, if you look at ios 8 there isn't that much different from ios 7. I actually predict apple won't be around for another 10 years. Ever since Steve Jobs wasn't CEO apple has been going downhill, with os x 10.10 they give you back the dock that was there on 10.0-10.4 which in my opinion looks out dated since I have mac os x 10.4.11 tiger on my iMac g4. The way to go with mobile operating systems is either Android or Windows phone. I have windows phone, I love windows phone, I have had Android and while I like some aspects of Android I didn't like it as a whole. Android doesn't care what's on the market until personal information is stolen, with Windows phone and apple they review the apps thoroughly. Windows phone offers live tiles, a UI that you will be used to since you have used windows 8, and has a very promising future as windows phone is only on their 2nd major update. But you also have to admit, Android phones have more features than any windows phone (just look at the galaxy s5 and the features the phone adds the the operating system) at the end it comes down to if you want a market with more apps or one with a growing market and one that is less risky, i used to have an iPod touch and I didn't think much about app support because apple is a major company but with the apps i used i have had no problem finding the same apps and if i couldn't find the same app i found a clone that is really good. Android would be like apple in that example. I hope that i helped

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
If you do decide to switch to Windows, I think it would probably be best, based on what you said, to not ever buy a Windows RT device. I'm saying this because they are constrained in with the desktop programs you can run (only Office) and even with the Windows Marketplace apps.

Also, since you have a lot of iTunes music, you should download the Xbox music app on your phone or computer to see how much, if not all, of your music that you can transfer from iTunes. I'm not exactly sure how this would work because I rarely ever listen to music - but on the Windows Xbox Music app, there's a way to import songs from iTunes to the app, so I imagine there'd be something like that on the Apple OS versions of the Xbox music app. There's also the easy way of just downloading iTunes, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be able to play offline.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I set up my 30-day subscription with Xbox Music, and I think it's great. I don't mind transferring my iTunes music, and Xbox Music has been the best way for me to discover new music too among the other services. I've only saved a few files to OneDrive, but OneDrive is more versatile than the iCloud service right now until the iDrive is released. I always dual booted for Microsoft Office because I prefer Office on Windows over the Mac version.

I guess a good question would be:

Why people switched from iOS/OSX to Windows?

Why people would not choose iOS/OSX over what Microsoft offers now?

Thanks!

feare56

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Why do people switch from os x to windows? They switch because it is more open and windows has way more games. The systems are supported longer too, the first generation MacBooks for example, not supported by apple but it is past the minimum requirements for windows 8.1 the latest while it could run OS X 10.7 Mavericks.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

My first phone was the Lumia 900, I currently am using the awesome 1520, which I plan to someday eventually post my review of in the 1520 subforum. But anyways, I first learned about Windows Phone through, and this'll probably be a bit surprising, a banner ad for a Dell Venue Pro in 2011 while researching for a class project. I was interested by how good it looked and knew it would come with Office, which were the two biggest factors in wanting to get a Windows Phone. Before that, I was like any other person who didn't have a smartphone, with the mentality of wanting the iPhone. I never really cared and still don't care about the "app gap". I have all the apps I need on my phone and never wished I had something that was on Android or ios - but that could be completely different depending on who you ask.

My answer/accidental story to your next question might not be too helpful, but I'll post it anyway:
Before I had a phone, I used an iPod (not sure which model or OS), that belonged to someone I knew, weekly or close to daily for playing games. I got used to the OS but I hated it because it was just too complicated for me to use - but now that I think about it, it might have been the small screen size that caused me to think that. That's why I'd never get an iPhone or Apple device. I'm also moderately experienced with using their desktop OS from 2-3 years ago, but this post is already pretty long; in short, I really didn't like that either.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Before I had a phone, I used an iPod (not sure which model or OS), that belonged to someone I knew, weekly or close to daily for playing games.

Also, on the WP Store, you'll find more than enough games to waste time with.
-Badland recently came out on Windows Phone
-Don't expect the same kind of support from Rovio and HalfBrick that you get on ios because they don't see the potential that the Windows/Windows Phone platform has yet.
-Gameloft, however, is great with their support of Windows and Windows Phone - they have tons of games on the WP platform and [ URL=http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-games/279943-gameloft-ryans-massive-gameloft-thread.html] their own support thread on WPCentral[/URL]!
-Unofficial copies of popular games like flappy bird and 2048 are not that bad and you can't really tell that it's just a copy, although I'd rather play 2048 in IE.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, Reggie. I hope you find good information here--there are a lot of knowledgeable Windows Phone users in this forum. I have nothing against Apple, as a matter of fact I went in to the ATT store to buy an iPhone in November, 2010 and instead walked out with a Samsung Focus WP 7 and never looked back. I am a big believer in using an ecosystem so I have Windows computers at home and work, a Surface Pro and a Nokia Lumia 920. Windows Phone isn't for everyone and it certainly has its limitations (especially if you are an app junkie) but it has served me well. Best of luck!

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I set up my 30-day subscription with Xbox Music, and I think it's great. I don't mind transferring my iTunes music, and Xbox Music has been the best way for me to discover new music too among the other services. I've only saved a few files to OneDrive, but OneDrive is more versatile than the iCloud service right now until the iDrive is released. I always dual booted for Microsoft Office because I prefer Office on Windows over the Mac version.

Thanks!

I recently switched from IOS to WP. I was tired of Apple giving miniscule updates and adding gimmicky features instead of fixing the real problem with their ecosystem. I always went with iPhone but I would never touch a mac .PC does music production better than the best mac because of software compatibility and even though it is definitely possible to use Apple products with windows Apple does not optimize the experience enough. ITunes erased my whole library (20k+ songs and 50 videos) not once but twice and that frustrated me. Apple id began to frustrate me. Not being able to get any sort of production done without some sort of terrible third party app frustrated me. Jailbreaking my phone just to get my phone to do what it should already do just to see Apple put out an update in an attempt to stop me frustrated me. Did some research and was impressed with WP. Got the 1520 and now I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to iPhone again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon