It's been 8 years since I first tried one of Microsoft's most underrated products and I still miss it every day

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"...but like all amazing Microsoft products, it was destined for the scrap heap. "

Like all amazing Microsoft CONSUMER products, it failed.

Because MS is not a consumer products company. That is why phones, MP3 players, watches, stores and music streaming services are all gone.

MS lost many billions of dollars trying to transform themselves into Apple. The real question is why (who?) thought they needed to do that at all.

Designing for/marketing to Fortune 500 companies is a vastly different game than designing for/marketing to consumers. Just because you are a great basketball player does not mean you will be a great baseball player. Ask Michael Jordan.

It was a great experiment, but it was also a spectacular failure. It is WAY past time to move on.

xsikal

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Loved my Band 2. Hated the durability issues with the actual strap part of it, but I'd have continued swapping in new bands if they had let me do so.

Reactions: ShinyProton

julle_da_costa

Jan 6, 2024
Visit site
I got my first band from the MS store in Honolulu. This was quite an event since t had been released in the US just two months earlier. (I live in Germany and was in Hawaii on vacation) What I really liked about the band was the Cortana integration. I could give a command, like “schedule a meeting with Tom for 2pm on Thursday” without needing to pick up my phone. Same for todos. Today I use an Apple Watch Ultra but Siri is just not as responsive. Got the band 2 as well. Build quality was really bad though. I replaced my band around four times. But as the article author stated, the band was quite unique for its day. One lesser known fact is that MS used the band as a sales vehicle for the sensor core and the associated Azure services. The plan was to offer sensor core to other manufacturers and it this way get them to shift the analysis workload to the Azure cloud. Very few got on the sensor core train. Sadly…

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Another abandoned Microsoft product that joined, and was joined, by several of its siblings.
Hardware/gadget wise, this is what Microsoft is now known for.

bazanime

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
I had both Band 1 and 2 and I enjoyed them at the time.
I don't lose sleep over them and my many many many windows phones, cos I moved one and found my windows ecosystem in android and other aspects of the desktop OS. For my needs the new MS works great and I'm glad I can find what I need in the applications and services.

We all have our thresholds and sensitivities but holding on too tight to the past just makes one miss alot of the present and the many great stuff that has happened. It just breeds alot of negativity and myopia.
Reminiscence is nice, but moving on is healthy.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I just got a microsoft band 1 last year, and am using it.

It still works, and I don't care about the tracking and other website stuff.

It gives me enough information on its own.

later
| || | | || | |
ne gative 1

Ed Du

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Such great memories of this device. I still loved the band 2 to this day. If it wasnt for the wrist strap breaking on me I would have kept that for years. (3 years I held onto it) I wish they went along and made the 3rd one

jason jett

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I agree, with the author/bot. It is the same for me. I had two Microsoft Bands, the second after the battery expired on the first. It was a great device, with like software to log workouts. When the original band was no longer available, and the product discontinued, I purchased a second-generation Band on eBay but returned it as damaged goods because the seller had removed an apparently cracked metal band and sent the device with only the rubberized underlay band. Unable to get a viable Band, I tried a Fitbit sold as a discounted accessory in purchasing an iPhone X; and it was a piece of junk. I bought an Apple Watch Series 3 several years ago, and it was little better. I could not end a workout because the tactile screen did not function with sweaty fingers or minimal moisture. I have considered Garmin and Samsung. but may eventually get an Apple Watch Ultra to maximize functionality with my phone and computer. I recall Microsoft sold the Band technology to Casio. I have never purchased from that manufacturer, but had hoped it would develop a new and improved Band.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria