Next 830 Owner?

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome Maccabeus to Windows central, you will find all the information you need to help with your new phone. I do like the 830 also :wink: Good choice.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I really, really, REALLY miss the physical mute switch from the iphone. One flick through the pants pocket vs. 5 steps: phone in hand, wake phone, volume rocker, tap the triangle, slide down to 0. Terribly annoying and not user friendly!)...

You can just put a Quiet Hours toggle in Action Center and also... If you have a Calendar entry marked "Busy," Quiet Hours can be set to auto engage... Say for that meeting every Thursday from 2PM to 3PM sort of thing.

Maccabeus

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
RumoredNow - Thanks for the Action Center suggestion! I hadn't thought of that and don't really use the 4th toggle so it is perfect to set the Quiet Hours function. Even if not as quick as a single switch, that does save me a step or two not having to slide down the two volume controls.

I know it may seem petty to complain about no physical mute switch, but I am in and out of offices, appointments and meetings all day. The iPhone let me quickly disable the volume without even pulling the phone from my pocket and then turn it back on with a 2nd flick when I'm ready. I'm kind of old school with my tech: if I'm in a conversation with someone, I not only won't answer a call, but I try to eliminate distractions (ringing, chimes, etc) and prefer to not even look at my device or handle it while talking with someone. I like to give the person my full attention and don't want to divide my focus with a machine --even to mute it. As I tell my kids all the time, 'People before things."

And Rain620, yes, thank you, I have set up the features to mute on flipping over the phone, which works great in a meeting where I'm at a table and failed to mute it already. It just isn't as helpful when carrying in the pocket.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as the physical mute switch goes, you can always press the volume down button until you feel a vibration - that way you know your phone is on silent. If your meetings are in your calendar you can also tell Cortana to automatically put quiet hours on during appointments on your calendar.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
is 830 just luxury 730 :D ?

The 830 has a far superior Pureview rear camera, a larger screen, and more built-in storage, as well as the HAAC (High Amplitude Audio Capture) microphones that can capture up to 120dB distortion-free, and add the capability to record video with native Dolby Digital surround audio playback. Other than that, the 830 also has the arguably superior design language of the 930 going for it.

Maccabeus

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
As far as the physical mute switch goes, you can always press the volume down button until you feel a vibration - that way you know your phone is on silent. If your meetings are in your calendar you can also tell Cortana to automatically put quiet hours on during appointments on your calendar.

Thanks, Muessig! I knew about the quiet hours for appointments; but, you're simple volume rocker tip is the answer to my dilemma! While it takes a bit more than the flip of one switch, I now know how to mute the phone while in the pocket!
1. Hit the power button.
2. Hold volume rocker until vibrate, as you said.
3. Hit power button again to avoid pocket dial.
Thanks so much!

Maccabeus

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Muessig! I knew about the quiet hours for appointments; but, you're simple volume rocker tip is the answer...

Sorry to everyone linked to this thread for posting non-content; however, I just saw the glaring grammar fail I made of "you're instead of "your". I couldn't sleep if I left that mistake out there for the universe to read without correction. (Thanks to everyone who graciously ignored it and didn't call me on it.) 😊

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to everyone linked to this thread for posting non-content; however, I just saw the glaring grammar fail I made of "you're instead of "your". I couldn't sleep if I left that mistake out there for the universe to read without correction. (Thanks to everyone who graciously ignored it and didn't call me on it.) ��

LOL, now you can sleep!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon