In at the deep end

Glen Barnett

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Having been an Android and Apple user for years, and becoming bored with both, I thought it was time to take the plunge and move to the Windows Phone platform, and I'm quite surprised at how well it's matured.

There's no longer the "app gap" there was when I last used a Lumia 800, and I've managed to find virtually all the apps I used on Android and iOS (with the exception of my banking app. C'mon Nationwide. Get a grip). Overall, its been a great experience.

I've bought a couple of handsets. A Lumia 635, 640 and my daily driver, a 640 XL. The 640 I have the latest build of W10, which is mind blowingly good, despite being still quite buggy.

Loving the Windows experience!

Glen Barnett

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Well, having used the 10536 preview for a couple of days, I'm still impressed, but have a few comments...

Battery life seems to have suffered greatly. Normally, my 640 would last from around 6am until well past 10pm with heavy use. Now, I'm lucky to see 4pm with the same usage.

The UI is still glitchy and stutters quite a bit. The tiles are slow to redraw and jump about erratically when scrolling from top to bottom.

I've had several app crashes and closures, but re-launching normally resolves the issue.

I know it's still early days, and the preview image more than likely has a huge amount of debugging code left in, which slows it down quite a bit.

Still wouldn't use it as my daily, but it's great to see progression.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've bought a couple of handsets. A Lumia 635, 640 and my daily driver, a 640 XL. The 640 I have the latest build of W10, which is mind blowingly good, despite being still quite buggy.

Welcome to the forums, Glen! I've got a 640 and a 635 myself. The 640 is my daily driver with the 10536 build of W10, and I've got the 635 as a backup, just in case a W10 build goes bad. You never know.

I'm with you on the W10 build. Yes, it has all those problems you listed, and if I put too many tiles on the start screen the whole system begins to lag really bad. Keep those tiles below 40 and you'll probably be just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon