Hello there!

DavidDDW

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone!
My name is David, I'm 31 and I recently discovered this site.
I used to be a big fan of everything Windows and used to tinker with pretty much all the Windows betas since Win ME (yeah...), Whistler, up until Win 7.
Since then I've switched to Mac and now I am getting back to Windows!
What interests me? Innovative ways to use laptops/mobile devices on the go.
I'm the lead designer for TripMode, an app that helps you save mobile data when you're connected to a mobile hotspot, by automatically blocking all the unnecessary background apps.
Looking forward to talk with you guys! :smile:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone!
My name is David, I'm 31 and I recently discovered this site.
I used to be a big fan of everything Windows and used to tinker with pretty much all the Windows betas since Win ME (yeah...), Whistler, up until Win 7.
Since then I've switched to Mac and now I am getting back to Windows!
What interests me? Innovative ways to use laptops/mobile devices on the go.
I'm the lead designer for TripMode, an app that helps you save mobile data when you're connected to a mobile hotspot, by automatically blocking all the unnecessary background apps.
Looking forward to talk with you guys! :smile:

Welcome, David! If you love innovative ways to use mobile devices on the go, you'll probably fall in love with Continuum for phone.

Since I'm connected to a mobile hotspot 95%+ of the time, I'll have to check out TripMode. Especially if it can stop several programs from doing auto-updates in the background while on the metered connection. Not sure if your app has it, but an ability to add processes manually to it to allow those processes only on un-metered connections would be awesome. It's impossible to know every rogue app out there, and there are some who want to allow OneDrive and others that want to block OneDrive during metered connections.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey @DavidDDW welcome to Windows Central and welcome back to Windows! Question, I always wanted to try Mac OS X (just try) and I don't know much about Mac except it's built upon or based on Unix, is Mac more like Windows where it's "easier" to download and install applications by Googling it or like Linux where you can use the terminal? And I'm talking about beyond the Apple App Store.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey David, welcome! Since you're a mac guy,I'm assuming you have an iPhone to match? Will you be ditching it for a 950? :D

DavidDDW

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Welcome, David! If you love innovative ways to use mobile devices on the go, you'll probably fall in love with Continuum for phone.

Since I'm connected to a mobile hotspot 95%+ of the time, I'll have to check out TripMode. Especially if it can stop several programs from doing auto-updates in the background while on the metered connection. Not sure if your app has it, but an ability to add processes manually to it to allow those processes only on un-metered connections would be awesome. It's impossible to know every rogue app out there, and there are some who want to allow OneDrive and others that want to block OneDrive during metered connections.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Hi rhapdog, thanks for welcoming me!

That is exactly what the app is supposed to do: it lists and blocks everything that tries to access the Internet, then you can just whitelist the ones that are important to you with a click. TripMode activates itself automatically on networks where it was activated before (typically your mobile hotspot connection, a slow coffee shop Wi-Fi, etc.), and loads all your previous app settings. We tried to make as easy as possible. Let me know if you happen to test it (the Windows version is in beta now), I'd be happy to hear what you think about it.

DavidDDW

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi David! A fellow former Windows ME user! :amaze:

Is TripMode currently a Windows app? I don't see it in the store. I'd love to check it out!

Hi Indistinguishable!
TripMode used to be for Mac only, but we've just released a public beta of the Windows version. I'd love to have TripMode on the store, but it currently doesn't seem possible, as app store policies don't allow apps that need advanced system access to be able to block Internet traffic.
Therefore, the app is distributed via web download. The final version will be released sometime early next year.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi Indistinguishable!
TripMode used to be for Mac only, but we've just released a public beta of the Windows version. I'd love to have TripMode on the store, but it currently doesn't seem possible, as app store policies don't allow apps that need advanced system access to be able to block Internet traffic.
Therefore, the app is distributed via web download. The final version will be released sometime early next year.

Ah, that makes sense! Where can i find this public beta?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas