01-01-2016 08:23 AM
73 123
tools
    switch phones every 6 months. Past couple phones have been iPhone 5, HTC One, Galaxy S4, and Galaxy Note 3. Wanted to change it up and went with the 1020

So I am not going to go into how great the camera is, because I think most people can agree the 1020's camera is still the best camera phone you can buy, but I feel the 1020 is more than just its 41 MP camera and as a smartphone alone it is better than I expected.

Coming from iOS and Android I was apprehensive about the lack of apps so I didn't buy the 1020 when it was originally released rather I got a Note 3. It wasn't until Instagram and Vine came out for Windows did I feel the 1020 or any Windows Phone period was worthwhile. Needless to say Vine and Instagram aren't essential apps, but they are two of my most used apps and they really supplement the killer camera. Still, there are a lot of apps Windows doesn't have and the ones they share with iOS and Android are usually pay for apps, no I don't want to pay a $1 for Angry Birds. So how does Windows over come that app barrier? For one Nokia includes some really great software in HERE and their Nokia Procam apps. Unlike Google Maps Here is four separate apps: Drive, Explore, Maps, and transit. I wish all four of these apps were integrated together like Google's but other than that HERE rivals Google Maps or even in some cases exceeds it. Nokia Procam is a beast and gives the huge 41 MP sensor DSL camera like software. The only thing missing is an HDR mode. The only major downside to the camera app is the photo save time of 2-3 seconds, this could be part hardware and part software to blame. Furthermore, with Windows Phone you get their proprietary Music, Video, Radio, and Xbox store which for all purposes produce really great audio especially with Dolby turned on and are better than most standard Android music players. However I don't think feature wise or content wise does the Windows music app beat Apple's. Since Windows lacks apps like Amazon MP3, downloading music besides through XBOX is much harder to do. A course XBOX service provides a pretty good deal of $10 a month unlimited streaming. I think the weakest point of Windows are its game selection. There aren't many high end games nor are there many of the simple addicting iOS Android games like Candy Crush on Windows either. Probably the best game is Halo Spartan Assault, which arguably should come free already loaded.

Windows itself unlike bloated Android is very quick and efficient and it doesn't need a four core processor or 3 gigs of ram to be fast. A course Windows is now embracing the idea of Windows Phones with cutting edge features in order to attract buyers but Windows itself flies on the 1020 on its aging S4 dual core processor and 2 GB of ram. However loading some apps takes a little longer to load than appreciated but once up the app runs with little to no hiccups. Live tiles is a cool in theory but if you have a lot of apps on your front screen finding or seeing certain updates is harder than it should be, this is where a more central notification system would be a huge plus. Additionally the lack of folders in crazy. Yes you can download a folders app, but this should be standard and common Windows what is up with not putting a battery percentage indicator in Windows phone? A lot of this will probably be fixed in 10.1 but its kind of crazy to see these glaring holes in Windows especially since Windows has been out for multiple years already. However Glance is really cool and useful.

The screen being 1280 x 768 on paper seems disappointing considering the amount of 1080P phones on the market but remember Windows only supported dual core processor and 720P screens at the time and the 1020 runs on a AMOLED 4.5" screen with an impressive 334 PPI. In contrast the iPhone 5s also doesn't have a full HD screen and has a PPI of 326. Also the AMOLED screen produces some vivid colors that borderline being a tad bit oversaturated. My complaint with the screen is the AMOLED screen that commonly suffers from black artifacts seen on dark backgrounds in low light conditions.

Battery life has been mixed. With 4G on, BT & NFC off, backgrounds apps disabled, power saver on when the battery hits 20%, WIFI on when possible I was getting 12-14 hours battery so 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. Looking through reviews never did I see such a mix bag of battery life expediencies. Some said it was great and even gt multiple days worth of battery while some said it lasted 6 hours at most. Obviously originally getting 12 hours isn't horrible but it was nothing to brag about it was a fare departure from my Note which got high teens to multiple days worth of battery. Recently I realized a few of my apps weren't fully disabled. Today I took off my phone from the charger at 7:00 am and now it is 4:50 and with moderate use I have 66% battery. This type of battery is what I got from the iPhone 5 or HTC One. Most people know this already, but playing games, surfing with 4G, or taking photos drains your battery fast.

The build quality is top notch and is one of the few plastic phones that has a premium look and feel to it. The phone itself if a tad bulky and heavy due to the huge camera sensor on the back, but even without the hump the 1020 isn't the thinnest or lightest phone. With this said, the extra thickness and weight does give the 1020 substance and it doesn't feel fragile or creaky like Samsung Galxy lineup. Hate it or love the cyan yellow is different and gives the phones a great personality. The Polycarbonate is durable and tends to garner sheen after prolonged use. Even though the plastic is matte the phone is a tad bit too slippery.

So out of all the phones I have ever had I still think the iPhone 4 was the greatest with its marriage between design function, and software, but the Lumia 1020 comes close to that Holy Grail. The biggest thing holding it back is Windows. It is a third place operating system, but IMO it has a ton of potential. Talks of Android apps could really push Windows Phone to the next level and 10.1 coudl really help refine Windows. Overall a worthy phone even without the camera.
    Nokia1020 and louba like this.
    03-04-2014 04:03 PM
    So my mom updated her line to the Next program, and did the same for mine secretly. She got me a black 1020. Haven't really played with it yet but I'm glad to have my volume back. My volume rocker broke on the 520
    03-08-2014 12:07 PM
    My wife and I both got 1020's Friday morning. My wife initially had a bad SIM card but that was resolved by AT&T. Great experience in the store.

One comment to add to the other reviews - our first day had terrible battery life. Once we both let our phones drain out completely and recharge fully the battery life was significantly better. Also, we realized we had really used the phones to an extensive degree (my wife took photos of our baby all day long) causing extra battery drain. After an entire weekend I'm much more pleased with the battery.

Ignore all the Samsung and competitor paid "haters" that post smear campaigns. The camera is absolutely astounding. I have yet to find a situation that the camera (both still and video) did not amaze me. The only bad photos I have taken were either testing "bad" manual settings or due to my lack of experience. I'm a software developer, not a photographer. My wife took some pictures with her camera that absolutely amaze me. She took a picture of a flower garden from really far away and reframed it and you would think she was standing in the middle of the flower garden.

I VERY much agree with the other poster who said all the little improvements add up to a great experience. I keep finding myself saying "Oh hey they fixed that, sweet" or "Oh hey I didn't realize it could do this".

Windows Phone has a bright future. Next year's phones that improve on this one can only be tremendous. We had friends over Saturday night who were all hardcore iPhone users. By the end of the night two want 1020's now (the other is pretty stubborn).

As a side note, one of the friends said "I just got a Windows 8 touch laptop, does it work like that?" I showed her how my surface worked compared to my phone and having a phone that functioned like her laptop sold her.
    Luckily, I am no paid astroturfer but a noob to iPhone and I want out. Many Nokias in the past never failed me and now my almost brand new iPhone was replaced under warranty, only after a six week delay and some snarling. Software updates removed critical sync functionality, battery life went bust and its compass needs help from Star Trek to find out where north actually is. It could be a tad west, or even southwest, then again east-ish and my iPhone 5 never fails to have a new idea of where to find it. I guess the folks looking for that missing plane are using iPhone compasses?? :D The subsequent 5S and 5C apparently also suffer from this. Call quality is not too bad but also not tops for a phone costing around US$1,100 where I lived (for a 16GB model.)

I am eyeing Nokia Lumia and even Asha just to get back to where I can trust my lapdog. How is call quality on Lumia 1020? I have some industrial deafness (can I sue Bon Jovi?) and need something that can bark loud and speak up.
    03-30-2014 08:29 AM
    This is my opinion about my Lumia 1020.

I've owned it since last year somewhere in September and this phone actually replaced my personal phone, the HTC One. My first WP8 experience was the Lumia 925, replacing my iPhone 5 for work. I've then replaced it too with Lumia 1520.

My Lumia 1020 came with the Amber preinstalled. Back then, the Nokia Camera was separated into two apps, the Nokia Pro Cam and Nokia Smart Cam. The Lumia 1020 has come a long way with lots of updates and enhancements software-wise. If you read reviews of the phone right now, you won't be able to find reviews of it running the Black firmware with all the new Nokia apps easily.

I'll try to close that gap here for those who are interested to find out. I was previously waiting for WP8.1 to be released before I chip in my thoughts here but I thought the Lumia 1020 might get a replacement model by then. So, here goes.

This is a beautiful phone. Externally and internally. Many of you may criticize that it lacks the latest hardware coupling with the very capable 41MP camera but hold on, let me explain. From my experience, a good phone is the combination of good hardware and software. You should know that Lumia 1020 team of engineers had went all out to customize and tweak this phone to its 100%. For starters, the processor in this phone can only technically support up to 20MP of photo capabilities. The team had worked very hard with Qualcomm to rewrite the whole imaging stack in the processor to support 41MP. That's beautiful tech. And with the OS and Black firmware, we've got a beautiful Glance capable AMOLED screen, very good sunlight readability, good response in the UI and good battery life. I say good because its good for my usage. Normally I get a working day out of it ending with ~20% juice left. I don't mind charging it every night and I don't expect it to last like my Motorola MicroTac 8700 series back in the 90s.

Another reason I think the hardware is just nice is because Nokia has a lot of experience with the Snapdragon S4 chip. I would say they have nailed most of the bugs and the firmware is stable compared with the previous models. In other words, its reliable. I believe it can only get better rather than worse. You can also see similar outstanding phones built on top of this platform such as the Motorola X, which is a great Android phone in my opinion.

Technology don't last a quarter nowadays and there's really no end to chasing the latest and greatest. You just need to find a phone that suits your needs. I mean there's no point to get either a super bike or a scooter if we just need to get from point A to point B. Both will bring you there. The problem is if the riders want to get there either faster or not, with a cost they are willing to compromise (costs of a faster bike, higher maintenance, insurance, etc) My point A to point B is fine with the Lumia 1020 and I made some compromises.

The WP8 experience is fluid, comparing to my Lumia 1520. We all know that WP8 is heavily optimized so, there's nothing new here. Third party apps launch a tad slower, you wouldn't miss it as its just a blink of an eye. All apps that I run on the Lumia 1520 runs smoothly on my Lumia 1020, including Asphalt 8. I've so far not run into app crashes except for some beta apps that I use. The official apps are just fine. I assume they are beta bugs.

The camera is great. Coming from other phones, this is THE camera phone and nothing else comes close. I've shot it handheld low light and the camera is really good at handling the situation. I would say 90% of the time I nailed the shots sharp. The 10% happens to be moving objects in the dark, and when I don't use flash. You really need to plan your shots with this phone in low light. I love to shoot landscapes and street photography. I have no problems in doing so. The ability to control the exposure is so convenient that I have to say I can leave my D7000 at home if I go for a short trip. The RAW capabilities is a large welcome in Black firmware update. They really help in photo editing but I'm not so much into PP so its a nice to have for me. The JPEGS are clean coming out straight from the phone. I am so happy with the results that I don't post process or add filters to them before I post to Instagram or Facebook nowadays. And I love the 4:3 format on this phone as they are not cropped from the 16:9 frame like other phones. Its a plus for me. The natural color of the photos also impresses. I am not a fan of vivid or saturated colors and I always shoot neutral or RAW on my DSLR and the JPEGS from the Lumia 1020 looks just as I want it on the monitor.

I'm not a video person so I can't comment on that but I'm sure its fine looking at the casual videos that I've taken.

The phone build is good. I love the touch of it and I am currently not using any cover or screen protectors. Occasionally I'll use it with the charging cover but that's just when I feel lazy or when I'm in the uncluttered desk mode. But most days, I use my Lumia 1020 "naked". The sides of the phone seems to show its age now as its due to the way I hold it. They are becoming "shinier" nowadays. But its fine. I'm looking forward to it getting "seasoned".

Black update also brings stability to the phone. Although I did encounter some issues after I upgraded to the WP8 developers preview. The phone would restart on and off without any reason. A hard reset seems to solve the issues. I am now on my first week trial without any reboots. The battery life was pretty much the same on both Amber/Black. I don't block any apps running in the background and I have 9 of them. However, browsing on IE seems to kill the phone's battery life and I've noticed that on both Lumias that I own. I will not fault my Lumia 1020 on this but it does die off sooner due to the AMOLED being brutalized by the white page background on IE. I've resorted to apps that has black backgrounds to get them on RSS feeds as I usually only do reading on the IE. This is easily remedied.

Calls are fine and I've yet to experience dropped calls. That being said, I do hope that the volume could be a tad louder. 3G/4G connections are accurate and corresponds to my carriers claimed speed. I get stable connections and have not experienced fake 3G/4G icon indications where there's no data connection. However, I did noticed that if I restrict data during roaming on data sense, it happens. But I tribute that to the data sense working as it should and would not fault it. WiFi has good and stable connectivity and range. It also switches from AP to APs fine in my office and it works well with most routers that I've came across. 5GHz band is in use and you really see the speed improvements.

The phone does get warm during prolonged camera usage. I use the camera grip and mounts it to a tripod or GorillaPod when I go serious photo shooting so that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't fault it. If you've used an iPhone 5 or HTC One for that purpose before, you'll appreciate the Lumia 1020, seriously. Casual shooting doesn't heat up the phone that much.

All in all, that's about it on my opinion about the Lumia 1020. I'm a happy owner and I can say that I love it more than the iPhone 5, HTC One, or the Lumia 1520 as my personal phone.

Compromises: Slow shot to shot time.
    Solution: Plan ahead or use high shutter speed. There's even a preset to use in the event of shooting fast moving objects. It works and results are sharp.

Compromises: Short browsing battery life at coffee shops or when out and about.
    Solution: Buy the DC-19 power bank. They are way better than the China brands and holds charges for weeks at times.

Compromise: Aged hardware specs, bad benchmark scores.
    Solution: Wait for successor model, remind self that benchmarks does not translate to real world usage. (Just joking)
    04-01-2014 08:01 AM
    The browsing battery drain, can it be fixed via using a browser with night mode? aka all whites turns to black or gray..

Lhetetty minun GT-I9100 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    04-04-2014 01:04 AM
    Not really a review but I just gotta say that every time I look at my 1020 I find something else I like about it. Seriously, with very little exception, I love everything about this handset - color (yellow), design language, display, even the ringtones. Like the user a few posts above me, I even found that the notorious battery life turned out to be quite acceptable after running it down and recharging it the first day. It's almost embarrassing how smitten I am with this device.
    Bahamen and Guytronic like this.
    04-04-2014 05:52 PM
    Had this phone for a month now.
    -Horrible battery
    -overheats
    -freezes repeatedly

The bad unfortunately outweighs the good. No new Windows phone in que... Looks like I'm heading back to android. I wanted so much to love windows phone since my surface pro is my favorite device in a long time. Disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-17-2014 09:26 PM
    Hello everybody. I've Nokia 1020 for 2 weeks and I can say that it's decent phone. It good but i have bigger expectations. Especially from the camera. Sometimes it makes not very good pictures. Compared to my old 8x... Sometimes the photos from the htc are better. The sound from headphones can't be compared to 8x's BoomSound. But despite all things the battery is really solid.

Calls - 7/10
    Camera - 7/10
    Battery - 10/10
    Speed - 10/10
    Design - 9/10

For hTC 8x I'll probably give these marks:

Calls - 10/10
    Camera - 8/10
    Battery - 5/10 after 8.1/ 7.5/10 before 8.1
    Speed - 9/10
    Design - 10/10
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-08-2014 06:29 AM
    The browsing battery drain, can it be fixed via using a browser with night mode? aka all whites turns to black or gray..

Try using the new reading mode with a black or grey background in WP 8.1
    06-08-2014 07:35 AM
    After few months of use,I can recommend this phone as a camera phone. For multimedia purposes,I cannot recommend.. Tho it runs everything without problem, the phone heats like no tomorrow and battery doesn't last long. Otherwise excellent phone!
    Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk
    06-30-2014 11:12 AM
    Just focusing on the camera, my review is a comparison between RAW picture developed in the more neutral way (the first one) and JPG delivered by camera (the last one). Colors in JPG delivered by camera are dull, almost grey, trees do not have the kind of green when sun is low, the green hue is as it was in the shadows. Nobody seems to care about poor color rendering. Do you agree with that? I have plenty of photos like that, when light is not perfect, allways in automatic.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20140705_20_26_33_raw__highres.jpg   wp_20140705_20_26_33_raw.jpg  
    gpobernardo likes this.
    07-20-2014 11:28 AM
    I recently upgraded from my dinosaur of a 900 to a shiny new 1020, and I love it. The camera does not disappoint; the photos all come out in high-res splendor. Also, I like the size, as I have big hands. Also, the face that Otter Box makes 1020 cases is a plus. As far as the phone itself goes, I like it. Decent processing speed on the whole, despite some web site slowness and weirdness, and games and apps run well. Overall, a great phone.
    07-31-2014 10:23 PM
    I love my 1020. The pictures are amazing and the lossless zoom when shooting video is very useful. With the 8.1 update it has gotten even better. The only minus is the slowness of the camera. Starting it from lock screen can take a lot of time and shot to shot time is not ideal (dual core processor only). I've found that you need to keep a couple of gigs free space on the phone to keep the camera operating decently fast (storing of images seems to slow down if storage space starts to run out). Until a new 41Mpx+ successor comes, I'll stick to my 1020 :)
    Last edited by akike; 08-19-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
    08-19-2014 09:20 AM
    There is no other phone better than the Lumia 1020. The world finds sharing pics the most important right now and there isn't a better tool than the Lumia 1020!
    10-02-2014 10:26 PM
    My luck with Nokia has been less than ideal as stated elsewhere. I love Windows OS. I couldn't pass up the 1020 at $340! Within minutes arriving home I had to take the camera for a test drive! And all I can say is WOW!
    I have have an HTC One M8 and recently and iPhone 6. Both wonderful devices. Neither could shoot the quality and detail of the 1020. I was expecting it to be better. But it was beyond just better. The quality is definitely noticeable. And that's with all these units on auto.
    I have phones as large as the 1520 and as small as iPhone 5s. And we have Android, Apple and Windows all under the same roof with hardly any bloodshed. As an ol' fart my eyes and no so nibble fingers favor the larger real estate. My old paws are happier with the smaller phones. For what it's worth I personally haven't found a $500 + phone that I didn't like. I just like one more than another. As for myself something in that 4.5-4.7 screen range hits the sweet spot between real estate and portability. There will always be something else. Like Sony's Z3 Compact:). For another time another forum. The 1020 flat works, has a great reputation for build quality with a camera that still can't be out done. Specs aside, isn't that what a timeless classic is about?
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-10-2014 12:06 PM
    I have a Xperia Z2 which I admire greatly and I have always used Minolta and then SONY photo gear. Am aware that SONY makes sensors for the top camera including Nikon D800 and its own top of the line 38MP A7R which is a beast in every department but needs costly Zeiss lenses to justify its MP. The Z2 is a fantastic phone with long battery life, sturdiest build quality and elegant design. It is the only one in the market with heat pipe technology to dissipate heat. The 20MP camera with updates is now the best ANDROID cam out there when used right but the NOKIA 1020 that I own many not be waterproof or as fast as the Z2 but it is the best camera out there undisputed. Nokia will always have the edge over the pixel count and if they keep working on the software front they will stay upfront but they need to be wary of SONY who is in a highly competitive mood now. Lets see what their next offering in Z4 aka curved sensor reveal.
    11-15-2014 07:47 PM
    Why would you run Dev Preview of Cyan when official denim has been deployed?
    A developer preview would only make sense if you wanted to try windows 10 currently.
    Roll out of the developer preview, install the latest official denim and you will see all you troubles go away...
    05-04-2015 09:12 AM
    Though it has many flaws but i love 1020 however after 1520 there are not many people using 1020...
    07-28-2015 06:28 AM

Try UC browser as it has night mode but I don't think it will help much.
    11-06-2015 02:12 AM
    I have been using Lumia 1020 for one and a half years. Overall it is a decent windows phone. But I'm not much happy with the camera even though it is the most unique feature of the phone. Finally, it seems to me that number of pixels has very little to do with quality of photos. The font camera is even worse than that and I have never taken a selfie with it.
    11-09-2015 11:07 PM
    Purchase

A decision was made to purchase a second-hand Nokia Lumia 1020 after I came across it's availability recently. To my pleasant surprise, it was a unit which, although purchased in 2013, had never been used at all, as the owner decided that the Android operating system suited him better.

So, after lightening my wallet for a very reasonable price, I took possession of a mint condition (still in shrink wrap) yellow Lumia 1020 with a black camera grip accessory.

Previous (recent) Nokia device ownership

As a person who is somewhat technical, I usually put technology first, brand second. To date, I've owned the Meego-powered Nokia N9, as well as the Windows Phone-powered Nokia Lumia 920, the first Windows-powered PureView phone (those who are well-read will remember the Symbian-powered Nokia 808, which debuted with a 41 Megapixel sensor array camera back in 2012).

Enter late 2015, and here I am with a two-year-old Nokia Lumia 1020.

Rationale

Why would someone bother with acquiring a two year old smartphone (obsolete by today's standards - most folks upgrade their handsets every twelve months), and worse still, an almost obsolete operating system, due to be phased out by Windows 10 Mobile?

Simple - I wanted the absolute best photography experience on a camera phone. Having had the experience with Lumia Camera, the PureView technology and superior lens on the Lumia 920, I was eager to get my hands on the 1020. In Singapore (as with the rest of the world), the Lumia 1020 was very expensive during launch date in 2013 - then again, I'm amazed that the Apple iPhone series now costs significantly more than the 1020.

Package

The 1020 I obtained came with a black Nokia camera grip, which came in handy on a recent holiday trip overseas. A pair of yellow Nokia earphones and AC charger with USB rounded off the package. The box is typically minimalistic Nokia - efficient and well-designed.

I also managed to acquire an original wireless charging shell for the 1020, and that works superbly on my older Nokia wireless charger.

Design

The 1020 uses the Fabula design language, inherited from the Meego-powered Nokia N9, and carried on throughout various iterations from there. I have always liked the minimalistic design language, and really enjoy the use of polycarbonate employed in the 1020.

Overall a clean design, and one that stands out in a sea of white/grey metal phones that dominate the mobile phone landscape today.

Aesthetics

This is a particularly subjective area - what's beautiful to one may not necessarily lend itself to another.

I prefer the feel of the Nokia Fabula design language to that employed by Microsoft (current 550 & 950 devices), and also to Apple's iPhone designs.

The 1020 feels very solid, and the reduced weight (compared to the previous flagship, the 920), is a very welcome addition. It makes the phone a lot more 'pocketable' and less intrusive when carried in the front left pocket of trousers or jeans.

I have never enjoyed the feel of the Samsung Galaxy A or S series in the hand, and I would always worry about having the iPhone 6 slip out of my hands - bad design and the wrong use of materials, in my opinion.

Software

At the time of writing, the optimal software for the Lumia 1020 remains Windows Phone 8.1. I have, however, installed Windows 10 Mobile on it, and am happy with it thus far. Sure, it has its fair share of bugs and niggles that accompany any operating system that is still in development. A better experience is expected when the operating system is optimised for the 1020, expected in Q1 2015.

Ease of use

In 2016, using a 4.5" smartphone puts one in the realm of the "antiquated"! But there is something to be said about the usability and efficiency that accompanies the use of the 1020. For my use case, which involves the following:

Reading PDFs and eBooks
    Reading, composing and replying to emails
    Instant messaging (Whatsapp, WeChat etc)
    Texting via SMS
    Photography
    Watching a video
    Listening to music

All of the above perfectly suits the 1020, although some may argue that one really needs a 5.5" device in order to watch videos comfortably. Works out well for me, though.

Camera

Enough has been written about the camera on the 1020. I won't expand on it, except to say that the 1020 takes brilliant photos. Nothing beats it, except a real DSLR.

And don't get me started on the latest iPhone (6s+) camera comparisons - whilst the 6s+ has a decent camera, it still pales in comparison to the 1020. Same for the Sony Z5. The only other formidable / comparable camera phone is the LG G4.

Portability & Practicality

Due to the small-ish (by today's standards) size of the 1020, I much prefer it to the gargantuan phablets of today. The size works well for me, and screen resolution is good enough for what I use the device for. I usually also set the 1020 to GSM 2G mode, with Data switched on, in order to minimise battery drain. When I need to browse the Internet, I switch it manually to 3G. This helps with the battery life (see below).

Battery life

On Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10.0.10586.36), battery life isn't great - I'm looking at around 6 hours whilst on 3G mode, with medium to heavy usage. An external battery pack is necessary when I'm out and about, or if I'm travelling, I make use of the camera grip, with its 1000mAH capacity, to help keep the unit topped up. I don't usually switch Mobile Data on when travelling, so that helps with the battery life - plus the fact that I take a lot of pictures with the 1020 during travelling.

That's it - hope you enjoyed reading this.
    12-28-2015 11:30 PM
    Personally, I like the lack of apps, how many apps (on other OS) do you install, then get rid of them because they didn't meet your needs.
    This isn't a kids phone , even though you can turn it into your own XBOX (eat that others). I really like the "maturity" of this phone.
    Many complaints are from a childish prospective (sorry to/if I offend).
    But really, it's a phone for grown ups, not showing off silly apps that are never used in private, they are only used to show friends (usually when drinking).
    Anyone who doubts this phone, I just show them a picture taken with this phone.
    I explain to people who don't understand.
    This is a camera with a phone installed, not a phone with a camera installed ........ that usually shuts them up.
    There is nothing worse than taking a great picture, but it prints out in such a limited size. We (as 1020 users) will never have this issue, hell, you can print the pictures out in such a quality that you can make posters, or even use them to wallpaper a whole wall ...... you can actually separate the images into the different resolutions saved, but the phone only shows the one (so you don't have double images showing in the photo app) When you upload ans store in the cloud, you can see the full high res picture (it's the one with the bigger file size) and you can manipulate that file as you see fit.
    We are so lucky to have this beauty in our hands.
    12-31-2015 09:09 PM
    Hmm. Good points there. The 1020 isn't well appreciated simply because it doesn't run iOS or Android. I'm glad to have one, and hope that it will last for many years to come, with Windows 10.
    01-01-2016 08:23 AM
73 123