From various sources, it could be said that the Lumia 1020 has a barometer (!). (Its a device used to measure the atmospheric (air) pressure). Now the question is, what is the use? It's not like it could be used to measure the temperature, and one wants to find his altitude with it, he would need the help of nearby weather stations. Perhaps that could increase the GPS accuracy? What other applications are there?
    Mach_E likes this.
    07-12-2013 07:40 AM
    This seemed to be the reason at least for the Nexus 4:

Google explains the presence of a barometer in the Galaxy Nexus, hopes you'd stop asking now - GSMArena Blog

But what I really would like is using it for a weather forecast!

Weather forecasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-12-2013 07:46 AM
    It should be primarily for location caching.
    07-12-2013 08:35 AM
    Well, i guess the only good its for is that it can be ised tp find the DIFFERENCE in altitude (provided that the weather doesn't change). Just like in an aeroplane, in order to find your altitude, you have to key in the atmosheric pressure, and vice-versa.

So, Um, Why Does the New Google Phone Have a Barometer in It? | Popular Science
    07-12-2013 02:49 PM
    Any updates if there is any apps supporting this function yet?
    Melus Haque and asuntest like this.
    10-12-2013 11:12 PM
    Besides GPS, maybe developers can write apps for skiers can track their descent speed, and bikers can track climbs of their rides.
    10-13-2013 01:23 AM
    This seemed to be the reason at least for the Nexus 4:

Google explains the presence of a barometer in the Galaxy Nexus, hopes you'd stop asking now - GSMArena Blog

But what I really would like is using it for a weather forecast!

Weather forecasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Makes enough sense, I suppose. Still a bit weird, the idea of having a barometer in your phone...
    10-13-2013 05:06 PM
    Why is that strange?

As the second poster above pointed out there are many uses for the barometer. It can be used for a aid to gps as well as a prediction tool for when precipitation is going to arrive to your current location. All without using any data services. 2G/3G/4G/LTE/LTE-A or Wifi/Wifi2.0 .

I'm actually surprised it took nokia this long to include an actual physical pressure sensor in their devices. And hope they are in the coming devices as well.
    I'd also like to see full IRDA RX/TX and FM RX/TX included as well as a barometer in the next version of their super camera phone.

THAT would be the phone i would buy.
    Melus Haque likes this.
    10-30-2013 05:34 PM