how to use wifi?

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, total smartphone newbie here, seriously considering the 1020 but had a quick question. If I want to use my wifi instead of cell data, is this the correct setting?

Defining Internet Connections:

On the Start screen, swipe left

Tap "Settings"

Go to "Wi-Fi"

Make sure that "Wi-Fi networking" is enabled
Select the connection that you wish to use

To use a mobile data connection:

On the Start screen, swipe left and go to "Settings"
Tap "cellular"
Switch "Data connection" to "On"

I believe I read that if I enable both mobile data and wifi, the phone (1020) will automatically use wifi when available minimizing the data charges. So I would probably want to keep mobile data and wifi on all the time, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
When you get into range of a Wi-Fi access point that you have connected to before, your phone will automatically connect to it and switch to that connection for everything until you move out of range or disconnect from the access point.

Leave mobile data on because your phone will still need it to do certain things like send or retrieve multimedia messages, or do cell data network specific tasks.

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I believe I read that if I enable both mobile data and wifi, the phone (1020) will automatically use wifi when available minimizing the data charges. So I would probably want to keep mobile data and wifi on all the time, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Correct, it will use the WiFi connection over the data connection. As for leaving Wifi on all the time, I think it will use slightly more battery than when off. I leave mine off until I need a Wifi connection. Opinions vary. Welcome to WP8 :)

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey Everyone, thanks for the replies..I've kind of narrowed it down to the 1020, and the other usual suspects, the iphone, galaxy s4. I don't know if I can live with the smaller iphone screen, and the galaxy seems kind of cheaply made. So, it's looking good for the 1020. Just have to stop up to the local MS store to check one out.

Thanks again.

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes