One Drop --> Dead Phone

si49

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Purchased a Lumia 1020 on launch day. Unfortunately, it fell out of my pocket and hit the concrete ground and the screen cracked. The impact was at the top left corner, right next to the screen (judging by the imprint on the bezel). Bummed, I still held onto the phone and was using it for a week without any problems. Last Friday, the phone was working in the morning but by mid day, the phone was completely dead. I thought it might have been a battery drain issue but the phone never powered back on after plugging into a charger. I gave the phone a shake and could hear something rattling inside. Luckily, I had a MS Store warranty and exchanged it for a new one, minus the $49 deductible. I realize that the phone breaking was my fault and damages caused by drops very greatly from drop to drop. Still I was very disappointed after dropping my Lumia 900 so many times without issue and seeing so many L920 durability tests on Youtube. Hope no one experinaces the same tragedy and look forward to seeing some durability tests of the 1020. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the damage before returning but I do have a receipt I can upload...

I do love my new yellow Nokia though and will likely be getting a case as soon as I find one I like.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Purchased a Lumia 1020 on launch day. Unfortunately, it fell out of my pocket and hit the concrete ground and the screen cracked. The impact was at the top left corner, right next to the screen (judging by the imprint on the bezel). Bummed, I still held onto the phone and was using it for a week without any problems. Last Friday, the phone was working in the morning but by mid day, the phone was completely dead. I thought it might have been a battery drain issue but the phone never powered back on after plugging into a charger. I gave the phone a shake and could hear something rattling inside. Luckily, I had a MS Store warranty and exchanged it for a new one, minus the $49 deductible. I realize that the phone breaking was my fault and damages caused by drops very greatly from drop to drop. Still I was very disappointed after dropping my Lumia 900 so many times without issue and seeing so many L920 durability tests on Youtube. Hope no one experinaces the same tragedy and look forward to seeing some durability tests of the 1020. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the damage before returning but I do have a receipt I can upload...

I do love my new yellow Nokia though and will likely be getting a case as soon as I find one I like.

I lost a Lumia 920 that exact same way. Any phone can break on impact, it really just depends on how it lands. Glad to hear you were able to get another set up, though. ^_^

si49

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions!!! I really want that leather case but I may have to buy another case in the mean time.

One more thing, MS Warranty + AmEx purchase protections = very happy customer

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Curious how you dropped yoru phone so much? if you dropped yoru phone so much with the 900, i would suspect you would be more cautious about handling subsequent phones? Not saying that the occasional drops dont happen, but at some point got to learn your lesson.

Since launch of 920, i have dropped my phone 0 times and that is through four exchanges. Yes 0 times, the ironic thing is i did drop my 620 twice withint he month i got the phone in april, but haven't since. That is a poverty phone though.

Still, i am very mindful of dropping my phone because i dont want to pay for a new one or pay for some insurance.

Dont see how you can be disappointed when you dropped your phone. All drops aren't equal.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain.. when the Lumia 800 first came out, I grabbed one. Dropped on concrete but thank God the screen still made it intact. I did have to buy some tools and open it up to reseat and reglue the proximity sensor - a YouTube video that came out at the time provided a good step-by-step. After that, the phone operated normally until I sold and switched over to the 900, the 808, and now the 1020.
Face it - as great as Nokia's are, concrete is both unforgiving and unpredictable! Glad you were able to get a replacement - I think your $49 was very well spent!

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
use that lanyard like a priest uses a bible!

I've been thinking about that. I may look for some of my old cell phone charms. I used to have them for some of my old flip phones, and now that I can use one again, it'd be nice to take advantage...

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Everyone's worst nightmare. The good news is that the otterbox and incipio (Aug 8th) cases are both available and provide premium protection against drops.

I personally have the otterbox and made that youtube video linked above. It's a phenomenal case and should serve everyone well. I did opt to remove the pre-installed case screen protector though. It felt really poor to me and I'd rather use the screen naked or thinner screen protector.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is something interesting about the BSI sensors in general.. I had no idea

"There are problems associated with mounting the circuitry that increase crosstalk, whereby signals on different lines interfere with each other, this can cause pixels to bleed into each other. You can check the Imagng-Resource Comparometer and see the differences between mkI and mkII in terms of pixel bleeding at low ISO. The color charts, the red patch, the high contrast regions and the regions with some CA all show stronger pixel bleeding with the mkII than the mkI and this is not the more conservative jpg engine, it is line interference as I see it.

Also BSI sensors are mechanically much weaker due to the wafer thinning, and a large BSI sensor is even more prone to accidental shock-introduced breakage."

1020 vs. 808: Mobile Photography Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

So, ya.. don't drop this thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon